Help - moving to Reading | FerrariChat

Help - moving to Reading

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by arizonaitalian, Apr 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Hi folks,

Looks like a good chance I'm moving to Reading area later this year (my fiance may take a job at the NHS Hospital there).

I am starting to review the interwebs to learn what I can...but thought I' reach out to members here for any insights they can give on living in that area;

Good idea or bad idea?
    Where to look?
    Where to avoid?
    What to look for when renting a flat or house? (first time living in the UK for us)
    What is the weather like there?
    Anything you deem important for us to know?

Thank you so much for your insights and hopefully we will get a chance to meet up when we move there...

Thanks!
    Dave

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Depending on hours etc you could live near Reading but traffic could be difficult to get to work - it depends if you are walk to work types or not

Reading has a large student population but is near many very desireable small villages

Weather: its not Arizona (if that's where you live) - tomorrow will be about 50 deg - much of summer might be 70 much of winter is 30-40 - as everyone knows it always rains in the UK (but not recently....) - best idea is to look at some historic sites and then keep an eye on the dailies

It could be worth asking in Pistonheads regional section Thames Valley

The Queen takes lodgers at Windsor Castle which would be nice for you (could today be April 1st !)

arizonaitalian likes this.
  3. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    You should consider how expensive property is in the UK, both to rent and to buy. My brother lives in rural Pennsylvania in a house, that in England, would be considered a mansion (indoor pool, out door pool, several acres of land) but if he sold up to move to back to England he would be buying a very small property with no land (he would not need a pool obviously!). They have thought about moving back to the UK but property is one of the key reasons they will probably stay in the US. The closer you are to London, the worse the problem is and Reading is considered close enough. When I worked in London people commuted from further out then that! If the NHS are going to pay for your accommodation then that would change things but homes here are not what you are used to in the US.

daytona355 and arizonaitalian like this.
  4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Don’t know squat about reading; other than its mainline train station to London. but try club Scuderia form. Bit more UK focused than chat. A few members that way so should be able to help out.

Lots of events this year so no excuse to be bored!!!

Prices closer to London go up; obviously but it’s horses for corses at the end of the day.

5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Jimmie has answered most of your questions and I would concur with his answers.

A few things spring to mind, in re renting a house / flat, assuming you don't take up the suggestion of staying as a Guest of Her Majesty (if you do, you could usefully refer to the works of Oscar Wilde for advice :D):
    1. Go to a reputable estate agent, or, if renting from e.g. Air Bnb, make sure the property actually exists and that the person renting it to you is the owner / has his authority to do so - there have been a number of scams on this front reported recently.
    2. Ask for full information about any fees you will be charged before you make any commitment. Some agents pile these on. Likewise rent in advance / deposit.
    3. ARLA is the professional body to which most reputable letting agents belong, some belong to the RICS (even better) and their websites should tell you what are the rules about charging fees etc.
    4. Whether buying or renting, https://www.rightmove.co.uk/ is a useful site on which to start your property search. https://www.primelocation.com/ is another.
    Good luck and don't hesitate to ask for advice at any stage of the process.

of2worlds and arizonaitalian like this.
  6. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks for the replies gents! I'm sure I'll be along with more questions as we get into this. We are making a trip to London for some interviews later this month and should know more then...

7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Was trying to edit my post but computer said no!!!!

Good idea? Why not if you have the opportunity to live somewhere new for a bit.

Where to look? As John says start with rightmove and prime location. Comparison of prices and pictures will probably give you a good idea of the good/bad areas. The "bosses" point of contact in the NHS will also probably be able to help point you in the right direction. Depending on whether you want to walk/drive/train etc and how far you want to commute will potentially give a big variation in price.

What's the weather like...as said above.

Anything important to known? Don't know, depends on your experience/knowledge. As mentioned above, UK property is not as big as US; but there is loads of work and lots going on. Reading is less than an hour from Heathrow, so no excuse not to take advantage of cheap flights within UK and Europe. (BA and easyjet give a good idea of prices) Also lots of car events this year so no excuse not to get involved! We also have better cars :) :)

If nothing else, enjoy your trip to London!

8. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I live in a village called Twyford 6 miles to the east of Reading and echo all that has been written above. Reading itself is not particularly attractive but it is a good shopping centre and the transport links are excellent though the roads can be pretty busy. There are a lot of attractive villages near to Reading and some lovely countryside plus a lot of quite large modern housing estates. Do be careful if you are working south of the River Thames (as your wife would be) and are looking at houses north of the river as there are not many bridges and those that there are become bottlenecks particularly in rush hour and summer weekends.
    Very happy to answer any questions you may have as you do your research.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    To echo what has already been said. Houses price for price are smaller. weather is generally wetter, well certainly more so than Arizona.
    And we drive on the left :p (which you know about I'm sure) and will take a little getting used to.

10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    and biggest car does not necessarily have right of way at roundabouts; as one of my friends thought when he came over in the 90s, and some fool gave him a Supra for his trip :)

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I’m not local enough to reading to offer much by way of advice on areas, but if you need to buy a house/apartment at any point, let me know and I’ll sort it out for you, that’s my thing. I have a lot of experience in letting too (that’s my families business) so if you hit snags, or just want something checked out, reach out and I’ll get on it. I’m sure you will enjoy it for a while at least, but if it were me, I’d be expecting to have some fun for a while here, and then return to the US where you really do live in the best country in the world.... ever!

13. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks to everyone for your help and offers to assist. No new news here yet...we are in the UK for interviews week of April 23, hoping to know more then. Going to check out a couple of towns while there.

Move timing is still late summer at the soonest.