Help, my flat 12 was only running on 6 | FerrariChat

Help, my flat 12 was only running on 6

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by WILLIAM H, Feb 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My 512TR did its impression of a Porsche 911 by deciding she just wanted to run on 6 cylinders yesterday a little while after I started her up. I was going to take her out for a drive and I left her idling for a moment & went to get something, when I came back she was only running on 6. So I parked her turned her off then restarted & she came back on 12. I took the Vette cus I had an appointment. Any clues as to what happened ? Thanks

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Okay I'm not sure about the 512tr, but many 348's have a problem with a bad exhaust ecu. It will shut down one bank of cylinders if it thinks that the cat was getting too hot. The usual solution is to reset the ecu. Which it seems you did when you shut the car off then restarted it. If you have an exhaust ecu try unplugging it and see if the car runs. If it does run then check to see if your cats are plugged up. If they aren't plugged then you may have a bad ecu. One way to test it, is to switch it from one side of the engine to the other. If the problem occures on the other side then you know the ecu is bad. Good luck.

3. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    i do know how the timing would fix itself like that

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    thanks Ernie, my car doesnt have cats but I believe she has ECUs so if it happens again I'll try that. I started her again today & so far she is fine