355 - Help needed with Capristo Valve install… | FerrariChat

355 Help needed with Capristo Valve install…

Discussion in '348/355' started by TipoF129, Nov 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TipoF129

TipoF129 Karting

Mar 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    ROBERT BROPHY
    Hi All

I’ve been rummaging around for a long time, trying to find someone who gave detailed instructions on the installation of the capristo valve. All I can find is the useless instructions that capristo have and other peoples descriptions of the install, but they seem outdated as they have different parts to the ones I have received.

My main question is about the actual plumbing of the vacuum lines. I presume you have to cut a section that goes from the top of the new valve to the nipple that comes from the main pipe. Then it seems you have to put new piping from the white diaphragm looking piece, down through to where the solenoids are, behind the bumper on the right hand side. My question is, which solenoid of the two that sit next to each other do I replace? Where do I plug-in?

I’ve included a couple of pictures of my investigation so far, but if anyone has a more detailed line by line, instruction set, that would be amazing. Or if anyone wants to talk me through it over the phone, that would be great too!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here's the OEM layout (simplified):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The inboard solenoid valve is the exhaust bypass solenoid valve. The vacuum hose from the vacuum tank is the one with the T-piece in it. Vacuum is supplied on a common "rail". The solenoid valve with the blue plug on it is for the Secondary Air system.

I'm not familiar with that new type of (Capristo) solenoid valve with the long stem on it... or how to mount it. The old Capristo solenoid valve used to be metal.

Vacuum on the Capristo bypass valve actuator capsule should close it. 12 volts on the electrical pins of the solenoid valve should block the flow of vacuum between the smaller ports of the solenoid valve, removing vacuum from the bypass valve capsule, opening the bypass valve.

Probably best to contact Capristo to ask them about this new valve.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #3 Qavion, Nov 16, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    Note: I had to correct my previous post. Your vacuum connection seems to be "back to front". Normally the vacuum supply (white) T piece is on the Secondary Air Solenoid valve, with the vacuum line coming from the right hand side of the car (as shown in the OEM diagram)

Was your system working normally before? Sometimes plugs and plumbing get swapped around. The blue plug is the easiest way of identifying the Secondary Air Solenoid Valve, but that's no guarantee that the rubber hoses haven't been mixed up.

4. TipoF129

TipoF129 Karting

Mar 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    ROBERT BROPHY
    Thank you Qavion. The diagram is helpful but also doesn’t show the vacuum line going from the valve to the pipe directly below it as in my picture. Thank you for clarifying the inboard solenoid, now I understand that the new solenoid replaces that one and that it works in an opposite function to the oem (it requires vacuum to close rather than open). It’s the extra tubing that I may or may not need that confuses me. I presume I will have to find a convenient spot for mounting and just leave the old solenoid there? I’ve written to Capristo to see if there are clearer instructions.

I met an owner recently who did it to his and he said it was obvious/easy but his layout also looked pretty janky…lots of hose everywhere.

Thanks again for helping out.

Rob

Qavion likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    No extra hose required. Just use the old hoses attached to old solenoid valve.

You just have to find the other end of the thin metal pipe (item #35)

Maybe I was mistaken about the vacuum supply tubing. The parts diagram shows the T piece (#10) on the exhaust bypass valve. I'll have to check my own car.

6. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Qavion likes this.
  7. 16v2911TT

16v2911TT Karting

Oct 4, 2013
    LA
    Hey Rob, I'm in LA too and recently installed this unit on my 99. I got clarification from Capristo through one of their master dealers. If you want, I can share pics or meet up if need be (pm me).

8. TipoF129

TipoF129 Karting

Mar 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    ROBERT BROPHY
    Hi! I think I may have figured it out. I had to go to work and haven’t buttoned everything up, but fingers crossed. It’s not pretty, but when I eventually replace the exhaust with a capristo I’ll tidy it up then. Would love to meet up anyway, I don’t know many local owners being new to the 355 game. I’m in South Pasadena.

Cheers

Rob

Qavion likes this.
  9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I just did this install recently and yes the instructions were horrible. I used some jumper leads to test before buttoning it up, but I can't recall exactly which one I plugged into now.

I don't think you can really screw it up though, either it works or it won't.

10. TipoF129

TipoF129 Karting

Mar 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    ROBERT BROPHY
    Great! I’ll find out later!

Rob

11. TipoF129

TipoF129 Karting

Mar 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    ROBERT BROPHY
    Thanks so much everybody. It works great. Capristo did reach out and offer to walk me through it with one of their techs which is super nice, but you all helped immensely. Fchat for the win!

Rob

tres55 and Qavion like this.