HELP! Perplexing Maserati Engine Problem | FerrariChat

HELP! Perplexing Maserati Engine Problem

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Goldenrod, Dec 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Rookie

Dec 8, 2004
    I bought a 2004 Cambiorcorsa Coupe this past February. Within the first 300 miles I started getting the "Slow Down" warning light while cruising at anywhere between 2000 - 3000 RPM. Immediately thereafter the "OBDI System Failure Light" also comes on and the engine starts misfiring. I've sent the car to my dealer, (Ferrari Maserati Of Washington DC) several times but they can't solve the problem. Last week, on the way back home from the 6000 mile service, it happened twice and has happened several times since then. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have a solution?

2. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    At least under California law, you should get a brand new 2005. I think the rule is that you have to take it in 3 times for the same problem, and if they cannot solve it, they have to take the car back, or give you a new one. Look up your local lemon laws.
    The dealer should take care of this. A lot of times, they will send a regional master level tech if the local guys cannot find anything. As in:
    "Hi, I am Fabrizio, they call me "The Cleaner". I can solve any OBDII fault and troubleshoot any electrical short. Now...get out of my way while I open my briefcase"

3. 04cambio

04cambio Rookie

Feb 26, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yes, I have the same problem with my OBDII light on my 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa. My light has come on probably 4 or 5 times. Twice I have had it reset with an Actron diagnostic instrument, which said that I had multiple cylinder misfires. The other 2 times it has mysteriously gone off on its own. I have noticed that the car performs a lot better when the light is off. I have not had a chance to have the dealer look at the problem (I also use FMoW, but live 2 hours away). I was planning on doing that in the spring when I get the 6000 mile service completed. Let's see if anyone else has any experince with this problem. Good luck.
    Tony

4. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    04Cambio,

I remember you mentioning the problem some time ago. Fortunately, I've not seen that symptom on our 2002 Spyder CC.

This sure sounds like an electrical connector problem. Do either of you remember any circumstances that may have triggered the problem - going over a set of railroad tracks, hitting a bad bump, etc.?

My Corvette started throwing a PCM Memory Failure code intermittantly. Traced that back to a connector problem when I noticed it always happened after a hard jolt to the suspension.

If no correlation to suspension jolts, how about something related to heat cycling. Does the problem seem to happen in the first 5-10 minutes of driving the car?

I have the Factory Service Manuals for the Corvette. I'll take a look at troubleshooting sequence for "Multiple Cylinder Misfires" OBDII codes and see if there's anything interesting.

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i'm currently in litigation with an unnamed manufacture in regardds to a similiar problem, engine missfire. they tried unsuccesfully to fix it for 7months, 3 of them straight. it has been almost 2yrs and the trial is still 4mnths away, lemon law cases are a big pain in the ass.
    as a side note i had told them it was probably a sticking valve, the ypromptly ignored me and moved on with all the diagnostic electronic crap they cram under the hood these days. just after i filed with my attorney i had to go let the dealer know to stop all work, a master tech that had just been flown infrom the mother land was excited to tell me that it was a "sticking valve" a scored lifter was intermitantly holding the valve open. however due to the timing this was never logged and the manufacture claims it is normal, even though the car won't pass smog.
    tirade over...

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Loose gas cap leaking air into fuel system.

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    ^^^ Try Napolis's suggestion

I am from a state where you can't fill your own car with gas, and service people generally never tighten Ferrari fuel caps enough, causing this same problem.

8. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I don't know about Washington DC but here in California consumers are protected under a lemon law. And I understand it applies within the first owner and warranty period that if a car fails for the same reason three times and you have given the manufacturer/dealer the opportunity to fix it and they cannot fix it they should buy it back and/or replace it. I would get rid of the car!

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You could or you could tighten the gas cap properly which will fix the problem.

10. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Sage words from the man...but I personaly like idea of a new Maserati every few months ;)

11. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    You have got to be sh!tt!ng me. Are you sh!tt!ng me?

12. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    It's the same down in Oregon.

13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    [THREAD HIJACK IN PROGRESS] That is crazy. What is the reasoning? Do the gas station attendants unions have mob ties or a great lobbyist or what?

14. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I've lived in 5 different states and the first time I encountered this was in New Jersey. I thought it was strange that I couldn't fill my own tank. I believe it's a law in Jersey. The law does provide more jobs and as far as I know it didn't raise the cost of gas that much (if any). I remeber paying $1.39 a gallon vs $2.00 I was paying in California. After a while I really liked not having to pump my own gas. See, Jersey has weather. It's cold. It rains and snows. It was nice not having to get out of the car.

15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    If this car was new when you purchased it, there may be some info provided on the lemon law in your state. (Fill out your profile)

Further, I just saw a news story on "lemon laws" and the most important information they provided was you need to contact the manufacturer not the dealer. Some people have fallen through the cracks on this loop hole.

16. 04cambio

04cambio Rookie

Feb 26, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks for all the advice. Nice little side-thread, also. I'll try the gas cap idea. That would be nice if it were something as simple as that.

Brad, I did have a bad pothole incident before this all started. But, I don't think that the light came immediately on at the time. Luckily, my rim didn't get bent. The only correlation that I have noticed is that it seems to occur when I push the accelerator hard, which could actually back up the gas cap hypothesis as the fuel pump could suck air into the fuel line. As it is getting cold here, and my car is in hibernation, it may be a while before I get to test the theory.

Tony

17. didichen

didichen Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Had the same problem on my '02 Spyder. My dealer said that a lot of 02's had this problem because often the metal gas cap sometimes doesn't screw back properly. In the new models he said they corrected this problem with easier to screw back plastic caps.

The leak in the gas cap caused the OBDI light to come on. He replaced my gas cap and told me to be careful when screwing the gas cap back on after I fill up my gas tank.

Cheers,

Dietrich

18. 04cambio

04cambio Rookie

Feb 26, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    Tony
    All right, so it sounds like it is the gas cap. Are there any permanent problems because of this? Is there any damage to the car? Thanks.
    Tony

19. didichen

didichen Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    The new gas cap fixed the problem with the OBDI light permanently (at least so far). All other problems, e.g., headlight washer cap fell off (twice already), flat on tire, were not related to the gas cap/OBDI light issue.

- Dietrich

20. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    FYI, the gas cap doesn't throw misfire codes or cause the engine to run rough but running low on fuel will.

Larry

21. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    But if it allows air to be sucked in, it will

22. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Air leaking through the gas cap will set one or more evap system codes (usually a major leak). Air sucked into one of the fuel pumps will cause a brief misfire and often times sets multiple misfire codes.

Actually, these cars throw misfire codes very easily but that was not the original complaint on this thread. I was just offering a bit of a clarification. The original complaint on this thread was far more complicated than either low fuel or a loose gas cap and is not very likely to be diagnosed over the internet.

Larry

23. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    gas caps are rated for pressure not vacum, a leak in the gas cap is from fuel vapor excaping into the attmosphere not from air getting pulled into the tank. if air gets sucked into the fuel pump you'll get a vapor lock and the engine will stall. you can drive all day long with no cap and the engine will run fine. getting air into a fuel line is not from leaving the cap off, it's from using all your gas and not filling back up.

a misfire is indeed just that, that cylinder did not fire it missed. this can be a for a variety of reasons mostly due to electronic malfunction. on a rare occurance it'll be due to a valve misbehaving.