HELP, PLEASE! 348tb alternator upgrade | Page 2 | FerrariChat

HELP, PLEASE! 348tb alternator upgrade

Discussion in '348/355' started by Lars Ljungstrom, Aug 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Thanks for the tip! I've read about it in some other posts and will consider it.

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #18 it depends on the car year so check but I believe this is your year. It definitely helps. btw there is no shield available for the 140amp. You have to make one, its trivial there is a post on it. Good luck Lars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Thanks for your concern and the image! A shame that there's no one for the 140amp. but good that you told me, so I know. Thanks for your good luck wishes! Lars:)

4. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Hi again,
    Do you mean that the lower bracket for the Nippon Denso 140A is different from the lower bracket for the Nippon Denso 105A?
    Thanks,
    Lars:)

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The upper bracket is shorter for the Nippon Denso 140A. The lower on is the same if I remember.

6. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I created a heat shield problems are gone Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Lars Ljungstrom likes this.
  7. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
  8. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    #33 Lars Ljungstrom, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Many thanks for your speedy reply! The upper bracket comes with the kit. I have a picture of the workshop manual page for Nippon Denso 105A, where you can see that the lower bracket (145357) is different from the one for the Delco. I haven't seen what it looks like or got the number for the 140A, so I just hope they're the same.
    Thanks again,

9. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Hi again,
    I can get a rebuilt 140A ND alternator (16235) and a lower bracket (if it's the same as for the 105A, 145357). But I still haven't found any parts number for the upper bracket, only 149627 for the 105A (155785). In this thread you said that it's only the upper bracket that's different/shorter for the 140A than for the 105A. But I saw that both you and Ferrarium said in other posts that both the upper and lower brackets are different/shorter for the 140A than for the 105A. Do you, or anyone else, know for sure if it's only the upper bracket that's different/shorter? And in that case, do you, or anyone else, know the parts number or where I could find it. Neither Maranello, Eurospares or Ricambi has a diagram with the 140A ND, even if I search on the latest 348, the GTB/Spider. And when you e-mail them, they don't know about the brackets. (When you look up the 140A ND on Scuderia they show a diagram with the Delco...) I would really appreciate any information on this, as I can't buy the 140A ND otherwise.
    Many thanks in advance,

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There is no part number for the 140 amp brackets that I ever found, the 140 amp was sold as a kit.. You can always make the missing bracket.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Thank you very much for your reply! Do you know if the lower bracket is different from the one for the 105A?

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  14. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Thank you very much again! That's what I thought.

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  16. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  17. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The 105 Amp Denso upper bracket looks like this:

The bracket for the 140 Amp Denso looks very similar except that the hole spacing is, if I remember well, just about 10 mm smaller.

Lars Ljungstrom likes this.
  18. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Thanks again! I saw that, but I'm confused as it's the Delco alternator in the diagram and the list states both "Alternator 140A (Nippon Denso)" and "Generator 105A" – both number 1 and if you click on either of them you get the same diagram with the same Delco alternator, upper bracket and the same part numbers. I just got a reply from Eurospares concerning this diagram and parts list, and they say that the brackets are both for the Delco 105A and Nippon Denso 140A... I still don't know about the upper bracket, but for the lower bracket I've got 139295 for Delco and 145357 for ND, so they don't seem to be the same (even if they're the same for both the ND 105A and 140A).

19. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Many thanks for joining this conversation again! This really is a mystery! I guess your reply and image go to prove that the upper bracket isn't the same for the ND 140A as for the Delco 105A.

20. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Not really a mystery. Both AC Delco brackets are for Delco only. Delco diagram:

Both Denso 105A brackets are different from the Delco ones:

The top bracket you see on the Denso diagram above is slightly shorter for the 140A Denso (the lower bracket is the same). The part diagrams provide the top bracket part number for the 105A Denso only. No part number is shown for the shorter 140A Denso top bracket.

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I imagine that one would think ordinarily, that a bracket for a smaller body Delco would not be the same with for a larger body Denso.

22. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Thanks for your effort! The mystery is that the diagrams at both Scuderia and Eurospares show the Delco 105A and Nippon Denso 140A in the same table and diagram, which are for Delco 105A:
    https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part-finder/ferrari/348/oe/3/5/209?h=4305
    https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/348-1993-tb-ts/electrical-ignition/current-generator-battery-23684/156235
    The guy at Eurospares probably looked at this and told me the upper and lower brackets are the same for the Delco 105A and Nippon Denso 140A, which is what the table says.
    Maranello doesn't show a diagram or table with the Nippon Denso 140A included, they just show the alternator as a separate item (not in a diagram and table).

23. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Both sites you provided the links for (Delco alternator) state that the diagram and the parts listing is "valid Till Engine Nr. 30737". The Denso diagram at Eurospares states "Valid From Engine Nr. 30738".

Qavion likes this.
  24. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    I think I'll go for a Nippon Denso 105A kit (70000809) plus a lower bracket and a heat shield. This is all available. I've spent way too much time searching for an upper bracket for the 140A and probably won't find one, or even find out the part number. And I'm not going to make a bracket or have one made. As even the model year 93 GTB and Spider had the Nippon Denso 105A, it'll probably be OK... I wonder how many 348s that actually were fitted with a 140A.

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    They were not done from factory it was a dealer upgrade that has to be paid for as far as I know. I think some of run 348s "may" have the same alternator as the 355.

But the 140 amp 348 kit, I would guess number cars that have it is very small.