Help With a PPI in Boston, MA | FerrariChat

Help With a PPI in Boston, MA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by The Mad Hatter, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    Hello,

I would like to know if anyone could recommend a mechanic for a PPI on a Testarossa in the Boston area? I am not familiar with the Boston area would like to find someone who is an advocate of the purchaser (read: not the mechanic who happens to be the best friend of the seller ;-) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Travis

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    can you tell us more specifically where the car is?

"boston area" for some people includes ME and northern CT :)

doody.

ps: and do you know that some mechanic is the best friend of the seller? (or maybe i just didn't get the joke - sorry).

3. The Mad Hatter

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    No problem...Newton, MA is the area...and the joke was that about a year ago I was looking to buy a BMW and the seller said he would have his mechanic, who was also his brother-in-law, do the PPI...lol...anyway, I would like someone who is MY advocate to look it over...thanks!!!!

Cheers,
    Travis

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    you'd be unlikely to go wrong at either:

The Boston Sportscar Company
    http://www.bostonsportscar.com/
    in Weston MA, almost certainly within 10 miles of the car
    781/647-7300
    talk to Darin or Joe

or

Ferrari of New England
    http://www.ferrariofnewengland.com/
    in Newton MA, almost certainly within 5 miles of the car
    617/559-0123
    talk to Steve, the service manager

either shop can rebuilt a TR with their eyes closed, imo.

doody.

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    also, some of us here might also know the car - so if you're willing to share details (here or via PM), we might be able to get you some inside data.

just a random suggestion.

doody.

6. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I think you would be well off with boston sports car...haven't been in a while, but seems like a very professional operation from my experience. Also note that the odds are substantial that the car has been serviced at either this shop, or ferrari of new england, so consider that, they should know the car's history. good luck!

7. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    I know a great independent called IFS( Independent Ferrari Service) he really know the cars and is a great guy. Does great work too. His name is John Terrel. He is in South Easton, Mass. Tel.#508-238-4224. Tell him Charlie Krop who bought Dave Vangels Boxer sent you. He made that car run right when FofNE couldnt. Good luck

8. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    For a PPI, you really have three or four options.

There is Ferrari of New England, of course, located right in Newton, MA. Ask for Steve Oldford, the Service manager.

There is Boston SportsCar, located in Weston MA, about 10 miles from FoNE. Ask for Joe Yuliano, the newly hired Service Manager.

And there is Independent Ferrari Service, in South Easton, about 25 miles away. It'll be John Tirrell, the owner.

I am very familiar with all of these shops, and they all do quality work. I'd call whichever one isn't related to the seller, if this concerns you, and whichever one can accomodate you. Good luck!

BTW, if you want, PM me about the car, and if I know the car or the owner, I can give you more color.

vty,

--Dennis (FCA Mass. Chap. President and chief bottle washer)

9. The Mad Hatter

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    Awesome...thanks for the help! Yeah, it is actually on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2467559258&category=6212

It is beautiful, but I am having problems verifying all the service claims. I would really like to have an "expert" look the car over for me to get some feedback on what condition it is really in right now. Again, thanks a million for the help and I will be making some calls right now...if anyone knows this car your help is appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Cheers,
    Travis

10. jmacphee

jmacphee Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joseph MacPhee
    The E-bay ad states:

I WILL RUN A PRE-PURCHASE INS. @ SAMUELS JAGUAR SHOP IN BOSTON MA.

Has anyone here ever heard of "Samuels Jaguar"? My dad has had an E-type since like 1974 and I don't ever recall hearing about "Samuels". I know Lee, Woburn Foreign Motors and the old Crandall Hicks, but not "Samuels". Anyone else ever heard of them?

Joe

11. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    Samuals is a shop in Brighton, mostly Jags. They did a little work on my 308 in the eighties . It sounds like they know them. I would go with FoNE or Boston Sports Car for an unbiased opinion.

12. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    Ebay decsrip. says he is the owner of a Jag shop in Boston, Is he inspecting his own car?

13. The Mad Hatter

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    Yeah...he basically offered to PPI the car for me...which is really a conflict of interest or at least I think so ;-) I spoke with Shelton Ferrari in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami and they show no record of that car at all which sort of caught my attention. Anyway, I wanted to have an independent opinion for obvious reasons. Thanks again to everyone...I am setting up the PPI tomorrow with FoNE...I can only hope it is in the shape described.

Cheers,
    Travis

14. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    random piece of advice probably worth well less than you paid for it.....

i wouldn't spend money PPI'ing a car unless i'd already received ALL the service records via fax or FedEx. and my MO is to review those, and then call the shops as well for any ancillary info. and only if those pan out would i move with the PPI.

in reviewing the service records you you might even find some anomalies you can focus the PPI mechanic with.

but that might just be anal-retentive me :)

doody.

15. The Mad Hatter

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    To all who responded here...worked out awesome with Joe of BostonSportscar on Monday. The seller refused to take it anywhere else oddly enough. Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Travis

16. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    What's with the "V" in the title??

And, please...."I DO BELIEVE THE INVESTMENT POTENTIAL OF THIS MODERN DAY SUPERCAR WILL PROVE TO BE TREMENDOUS!"

If past is any predicter of future performance, I don't think so. These cars are depreciating almost as fast as a new Cadillac or Jaguar.

There are LOTS of TR's around. Let the owner know that you are looking at many other cars besides his. Don't get Ferrari fever :)

Good luck!