Help with replacing the starter on a 3.2 | FerrariChat

Help with replacing the starter on a 3.2

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by buck74, Jul 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buck74

buck74 Rookie

Dec 14, 2016
    Eau Claire, WI
    Full Name:
    Frank Buckles
    Help me Mr Wizard. About half the time my starter turns over fine. The other half it just bumps the flywheel and stops. New Interstate battery, no problem with electricity. No clicking, so I do not think it is the solenoid. Seems I may need a new starter. 1. Where is it? I am hoping it can be removed without taking the engine out.3. How hard is it to replace, do you need any special tools? I have changed starters on Chevy's and Fords, but I know this is a different animal. I tried the search feature here but with little luck. All advice is welcome. Thank you. Buck

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Buck,

been a while but as I remember it for the Q.V. bit of access from below for some bolts perhaps, and heat shield and from sides - so at least one rear off and wheel-well cover. Don’t recall if I had the alternator off /slackened to get it out from that end. No doubt knuckle loss involved at some point and contortionism!!

Relatively speaking no big job, but depends on level of spannering. It’s at the front of the engine, against the fire wall (rear passenger seats). There’s a heat shield to come off, couple of feeds... I had problems with the solenoid if I recall and fitted an in-line relay. Never missed again. While you are in there a good chance to clean up the front lower engine area and check for any weeps etc.

Part was a Fiat I think on mine, maybe Bosch, think inQV model it changed, not sure what 3.2 kept; but pretty basic and readily serviced. (If you ever fit a starter button make sure it auto disengages!!!)

More tech savvy folks will have links and step by step guides ASAP no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. buck74

buck74 Rookie

Dec 14, 2016
    Eau Claire, WI
    Full Name:
    Frank Buckles
    I believe there is an access panel behind the rear seats, would this be the best way to get at it?

4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    If the 3.2 has that then brilliant - not sure what else you’d get to that way - maybe the front exhaust header? Wasn’t away the Mondial had that??

For the sake up putting the car on a stand and removing the LHS rear wheel and inner arch cover, that should confirm how well you can access the bolts and nuts and if you can lift the starter out at that side or which way it has to come out.

Sorry I don’t recall, I had all sorts on and off as part of maintainence and servicing and sprucing up.... just a blur now!!

I have a funny feeling I had to slacken the alternator to get it out on the RHS wheel well. I do recall NOT having to remove or drop exhaust components, or dipstick tubes and any of the ‘fun’ stuff.

I used to be slim then, so sliding underneath (with the chassis on stands) wasn’t an issue!!

Hopefully useful help along soon.

5. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Just went back to notes. Was a right hand side removal with alternator off. I believe with some twisting and maybe exhaust heat shield off you don’t need to remove or loosen (away) the aircon pump. Mine is a 2 belt car though.

You will need some extension bars to reach the various nuts and bolts. I had it in axle stands (on the chassis) and had the RHS wheel and liner out. Maybe both sides for better access/viewing. More PITA than difficult. Make sure you mark alternator positions for belt retensioning.

Look forward to pics.

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You will need to jack the car up a little. Remove the right rear wheel, and wheel well access panel. Work from there and underneath.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's the way I did mine. Slipped it out through the wheel well too. Super easy.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You can get a repair kit for the 3.2 starter motor. Jack the car up and it will come out with skinned knuckles

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Try connecting a multi meter to the live cable on the solenoid and see what voltage you are getting to the solenoid when you turn the key.
    If you are not getting 12 volts then you need to look at fitting the relay kit before you pull the starter, jack the car up and rig an external supply and switch to the solenoid. See if it turns over every time using this method.
    These cars suffer from a loss of voltage to the solenoid at times and the starter does not work

StuR likes this.
  10. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Yep,

That’s what I did back in 04/5 I think. Posted up pics and steps somewhere here ages ago. V easy win.

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    If you have a coupe you are out of luck.

IMHO this is not a starter motor issue, but a fuse box issue.

Does this happen after a longer drive? I had the same issue after longer drives (after 45min) the only remedy was to take off the power from the fuse box. (Not it wasn't a sticky relay) After a certain period of time the voltage drops and it will not be enough to let the starter motor sing. Similar issue when you have bad battery.

Anyway the issue is most likely in your fuse box. A relay kit fix will mostlikely the fastest and cheapest fix for this, but it is not the real solution IMHO.

12. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Agree that the starter/solenoid is the symptom, but as short term fixes go the relay route doesn’t appear to hasten fuseboard degradation and is a relatively easy win. Replacing with an upgraded board, great. Just the price.

My own experience - the new board is still in bubble wrap waiting for the rest of the rebuild to catch up/start - meanwhile, the relay worked and I used the car for a number of years no problem (in terms of starter!!). Didn’t look out of place. And for me was an easy install.

13. buck74

buck74 Rookie

Dec 14, 2016
    Eau Claire, WI
    Full Name:
    Frank Buckles
    Thanks for the help guys. I got the starter off and took it to my local guy who rebuilds starters, alternators, and electric motors. He has done half a dozen of these for me in the last 5 years. When he is done they are always like new. He rebuilt the Bosch starter for $89. Something that is not crazy expensive for a change.

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Keyword - Bosch.

Not a "Ferrari" starter somewhere else.

:)