355 - high beam (driver side) is dim | FerrariChat

355 high beam (driver side) is dim

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ritter Rost, Jun 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ritter Rost

Ritter Rost Rookie

Aug 15, 2020
    Germany, Bavaria, city of Passau
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    On my left headlight (driver's side), the high beam is dim (weak). It only shines as bright as a candle. The measured voltage is 12V (engine off). I have already replaced the bulb.

Are there any typical trouble spots I should look at? For example relays, ground points or fuses?

Thanks in advance!

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There's a major earth just in front of the luggage compartment fuse & relay holder. I guess you could try cleaning that, but all the lights on that corner of the car use the same earth.
    If you're getting 12 volts at the lamp, you would assume the fuses and relays are ok, but I would interchange maybe relay E (high beam) & F (sidelights) to see if it makes a difference.

Maybe there's a wiring problem (a wire hanging on by a single strand). Voltage is there, but the current can't pass.

Where did you check the voltage and what did you use as an earth?

spaghetti_jet likes this.
  3. Ritter Rost

Ritter Rost Rookie

Aug 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Stefan
  4. 71type65

71type65 Rookie

Nov 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    71type65
    Cleaning any and all connection points is usually well advised. I have seen vehicles that showed absolutely no signs of life when the key was turned, no lights, gauges, radio, nothing. And yet the battery post as well as the cable clamp attached to it and the fuse block at the other end of the cable measured a solid 12v+ on a DVM. Removing cable from battery post and thorough cleaning fixed it. The issue is the low-draw DVM voltage reading isn't affected by high resistance at the connection point, but a load such as headlamp is significantly affected with voltage drop. Of course resistance through the relay contacts is also a distinct possibility.

Steve Magnusson likes this.
  5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Was the bulb "on" when you made this measurement? That would give a more meaningful result (but you almost certainly have an upstream bad, but not open, connection if a new bulb does the same, and you already tried using a known good ground).

6. Ritter Rost

Ritter Rost Rookie

Aug 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Qavion likes this.