High mile opinion | FerrariChat

High mile opinion

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dennis Cosmann, Jan 3, 2023.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dennis Cosmann

Jan 3, 2023
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cosmann
    Hey everybody happy new year! I wanted to run this question by the group… Have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a 458 Italia with high miles. What’s the overall consensus on high mileage 458’s? I know they’re good motors and all and that they should last but just wanted to see what everybody has a say. We’re talking over 50 K miles.... Thanks, DC

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    How good is the paper trail? How is the PPI? What is the price? Do you like the car?

I’d bet you it runs better than a sub 2K mileage example. If the history and numbers make sense …Go for it!

3. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Echoing @19633500GT - If the ownership/maintenance is solid and PPI checks out- and you like the car I would not give the miles a second thought.

There are several members on here with 50k+ on their 458s and targeting 100k+ - There is a great article in Forza (can't recall the issue) with a guy with 100k+ on his 458.

They are phenomenal cars and the more you drive them the better- Obviously with proper maintenance- So if >>

Ownership/Maintenance? Check
    Carfax? Check
    PPI? Check
    You lay awake dreaming of the car? Check

Then GO FOR IT!!

:cool::cool:

Doug. likes this.
  4. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I will 3rd what everyone is saying, the more you drive any performance car the better.

I actually feel sorry for all the garage queens out there!

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You guys know these are machines, right? All things being equal, a machine with low hours is better than a machine with high hours?

Cars are not airplanes. Airplanes get stressed if they sit on the ground too long. Cars? Not so much.

There is, however, one secret to a Ferrari. That is, they are not fully ready as they come off the assembly line. Ferrari does almost no product testing. Moreover, Ferrari uses the cheapest possible crap, i.e., any rubber bits. (Don't ask how I know this to be true.) This means it is important to drive the car while it is still under warranty to get the crap fixed that wasn't done right in the first place.

Bullfighter likes this.
  6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Unfortunately , Texas is right when it comes to Ferraris starting with the 355 , the build quality is sub par. You have to get the bugs out while the car is still under warranty, or have the paperwork to prove it . This is a sad fact about Ferrari , there is no reason why every ****ing car that leaves the factory does not have the reliability that my 89 328 has. The only reason I can think of, is greed .....I never ever had to worry about any so called warranty or recall with my car , and its has 100,000 miles of which 3/4 where driven on the street like it was my own personal race track, so theres that.

Big G

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    If you have a collection of cars that each don’t get much mileage, I would pass.

If this is your only fun car and u are going to put big miles on it, this would be perfect. You can put 10-20k miles on it over the next few years, have tons of smiles, and likely sell at same price. Just make sure it comes with regular maintenance and repair records and the ceramic brakes have plenty of life left. Those discs alone can ruin the deal financially

8. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    458 is one of the best cars to put miles on. Plenty of folks with 50k-100k miles here, do not mind the number at all. Get a full, robust PPI and have fun.

paulchua likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    High miles don't scare me. Undocumented service, sketchy PPIs do.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    There is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari. Stuff wears out and then there is a constant procession of repairs. Been the same with every car I've owned sooner or later. I don't see why a late Ferrari would be any different you just don't have a large enough sample of high milers to know when. The techs would perhaps have a good idea. If it was a turbo model then no way.

11. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    I got a pretty decent price on a 2012 Spider 458 with 32K on it and a solid PPI from a reputable non dealer independent shop who works on them. Good paper trail, clean carfax, Runs like a banshee. No mechanical problems thus far. Upgrading it now to be my forever Ferrari. I don't pay attention to the miles anymore, I just enjoy it. However, The mileage made the deal possible for me, and it was a Spider. My wife liked it. She wasn't too enamored with the 430 though, but the Spider option I think sealed the deal. it is a good solid start to fix it the way I want to build it, and can be reverted completely stock if desired. At this point, it is not a garage queen and has no intention of that. Get it, fix it up and drive it. It'll probably hold much of its value suprisingly in the long run. Worked for me. Who really cares what your mileage is if you like it and its in great shape to your satisfaction?

bernieb likes this.