High schooler with 2008 granturismo | FerrariChat

High schooler with 2008 granturismo

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Parkthalambo, May 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Parkthalambo

Parkthalambo Rookie

May 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Parker Andersen
    Hello, about a year ago I purchased a 2008 granturismo from an Italian restaraunt owner at the start of covid for half price as he needed to free up some cash. I was able to do this by detailing cars and buying and selling minivans the last few summers. I purchased it with 15,000 miles and it now has 22,000. I just had it serviced 2000 miles ago and just put on new p-zeros. They seem to be wearing pretty quickly..... I am wondering if there is anything I need to be worried about as far as mechanical issues/repairs in the near future. Also looking for a cost effective solution to making the car a bit louder. Any advice is welcomed!
    -Parker A.

rampante550 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  2. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    My advice: do not make it louder.

But I'm afraid you will not listen. :)

jm348, staatsof, boralogist and 2 others like this.
  3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Why would you want to spoil one of the best sounding engine and exhaust combinations that Maserati ever produced?

There several of these running around where I live. I get to see and hear a lot of very exotic cars most every day and this one is quite distinctive and elegant. It is not sports car or a street racer but a very lovely grand touring coupe with decent back seats. I wish my supercharged Jag sounded that nice. Now that's an example where some careful tuning would be a welcomed improvement. But done improperly the droning of a poorly tuned or too loud exhaust can ruin a vehicle for long trips.

TBigs, Froggie and Nembo1777 like this.
  4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    You can get a mid resonator delete X pipe pretty cheap. That and figuring out how to keep the exhaust valves open make it plenty loud enough!!

That's the way my 09 GT S was when I bought it and I will leave it. With the exhaust valves closed it is WAY too quiet.

Congrats by the way on being industrious enough to afford and take care of a car like this at your age.

5. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Deleting the mid resonator may lead to droning.
    If you want more noise, keeping the mid resonator and emptying or deleting the rear silencers may be an option. But it will be loud!

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't think mine drones. Well actually if you are driving up a slight incline for a very long distance, so you are on the throttle just a bit more, it can drone a bit. But that is a very rare circumstance. And without the mid resonator and the valves wide open....it just sounds amazing to me!!! It sounds especially amazing going under overpasses and other semi enclosed areas. :)

7. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    This is an awesome background story, congratulations, should share a picture if you can.

You have a zf auto, so you should be good in the transmission department (Maserati was just transitioning to these shortly prior to that time). Do you have a good indy mechanic? I would say things can/will happen, but best way to mitigate is to keep service up to date and not mess with anything - avoid the temptation to put in a new CarPlay head unit, avoid the temptation to change the exhaust.

Two reasons - one, it may cause an issue (not likely but possible), but two - you'll have eaten into budget that would've been better spent on keeping the car in proper mechanical order. There's a lot of GranTurismos with high miles, you just need to drive it consistently and not get behind on maintenance and spending $3k-$5k to make the car louder is a sure-fire way to make yourself start cutting corners.

Nembo1777 likes this.