HMX-1 MV-22 surprise stopover | FerrariChat

HMX-1 MV-22 surprise stopover

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by beast, Mar 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Was driving through Las Cruces, NM today and spotted a flight of 3 very dark colored Ospreys on approach to the airport. Made a detour and had a chance to see these on the ramp making a fuel stop.

Sorry for the quality crappy camera phone through a chain link fence.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Those are so cool!

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Must be unusual military spotting day here in far West TX. Came across this this evening. A400M sitting at KELP why it did not go direct to Holloman I have no clue.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Cool sighting of the presidential MV-22s! That's very rare. The first I knew of their existence was when Obama used one to fly their dog up on one of their vacations.

Hannibal308 and Ryan S. like this.
  5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The oddity about the Osprey is that the Marine MV-22 is basically a transport and should really be the CV-22. (After all, it replaced the CH-46.)

And the USAF CV-22 is nominally a special operations aircraft and should really be the MV-22.

Apparently the problem is the Navy's use of "CV" as a prefix for aircraft carriers, and the fear that the reference to "CV-22" for the Marine version would make people confuse it with a ship. So the USMC and USAF agreed to swap prefix letters. (Personally, I think the USAF should have kept the MV-22 designation, perhaps referring to theirs as MV-22C's as opposed to the Marines' MV-22B's.)

6. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Very cool! Had one fly over my house on approach to KJYO a few months back. The sound was awesome. I swung by the field later on that day, but it was gone already.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Visiting Albuquerque (Kirtland AFB) several years ago... many Ospreys. Training base, maybe?

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    The CV-22's at Kirtland AFB are assigned to the 58th Special Operations Wing(SOW) 71st Special Operations Sq that is part of the Air Education and Training Command(AETC). The only other USAF bast that has CV-22's is Eglin AFB.I managed to get a shot of this one in Asheville, NC

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I was a Crew chief on these in the Corps.

Theres so much I have forgotten haha

10. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Id call it home plate to them as the Air Force pilots are or were trained at MCAS New River NC. But its been a while.

Af has them in NM at 2 bases and one in florida all Special Ops

The A, B, C is just what airfame variation it was when built.

I have plenty of pics of V22s if anyone is interested in seeing them. I could start a picture thread.