Home Security? | FerrariChat

Home Security?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lotustt, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Interested in hearing what some of you use as far as home security goes. Anyone have any unique or cutting edge technology for there home? Touch screens, wireless connections or anything else that may be new to this market? Thanks.

2. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
  3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    BUY 2 DOBERMANS...............

4. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I have 2 dogs and loaded weapons.

Ed

5. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I don't lock my doors or my garage, and never put the alarm on. If someone takes your stuff....you get new stuff.

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    So, are you feeling lucky... punk? Well do you?

7. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Twenty-four hour doorman and CCD cameras at every entrance :)

8. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ok, seriously... Hmmm, how shall i say this. Know the son of Gun And Ammo magazine owner and began using firearms when i was 8 years old. Have taken various safety courses....

In the end if you see the below, it WILL BE the last thing you will EVER see.

Personally, if it can be replaced with money then it is not THAT important. Material objects can usually be (relatively) easily repurchased/tracked. It is also good to take some personal defence courses and brush up yearly.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    This, or the Glock, depending on whether Tam or I get the intruder first.

10. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Former Atlanta Cop here.

Yep, get a dog. A gun will NOT wake you up when the thug comes in the door at 2:00am.

Then a gun, actually a shotgun for home-d is the best choice. In fact a pump one was our recommendation. Everyone in the world knows exactly what that sound it when you cycle the action.

DrS

11. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    That sounds like good advice. That must be bone chilling to hear that thing.

12. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    DrStranglove,

Agreed... In fact ANYTHING that brings LOUD noise and unwanted attention to a robber/burglar is an excellent deterrent in an of itself. Will not discuss the home security here due to obvious reasons.

FYI: Have worked in that field and am aware of various intricacies. Noise is the first best defense (generally). The LAST thing is pulling the trigger. There are various things between those two extremes.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

13. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    It would loosen my bowels!!!

14. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I know what you're thinking punk. You're thinking did he fire six shots or only five. And to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a 44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. Did you enjoy the music? Well did you, punk? :D :D

15. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
  16. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Pelco security cameras, I can view my home from my family website any where I can get web access plus I can speak via web to external speakers ( UPS deliveries and such). Normal hi-end security system connected to motion lights which show up on the house tv's. I have a huge arsenal like the others but heck anybody can be brave pulling a trigger, hand to hand is much more fun. Plus we have private security in our enclave ,never had a real threat. All the security crap is more for the coolness factor than paranoia of being broken into. My childhood buddies military types designed the system. Piece of mind is easy all it takes is big bags of cash. Biggest use so far was neighbors annoying cat and dog on my property, he claimed they weren't I showed him the tape told him to chain them or they would go into the ocean or my Korean friend's restaurant .

17. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

This house protected by Smith & Wesson.

18. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Hey Mark, the 44 magnum is a wussy gun compared to my Smith & Wesson 500 revolver.

19. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    WFO,
    Is that the 50 caliber? I heard that thing is a beast.

20. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    When I was selling door to door in the middle of nowhere, I came across a sign... "We don't call 911"

21. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Some very interesting replies. Didn't expect to see many gun advocates, but I suppose it is a viable option and a good one for that fear factor as explained above. I guess i was thinking of the actual system of hopefully detering someone before they could actually enter. As in what wakes you up and so forth, but yes when i move I will definitly be getting a dog as well and hey i like dogs so that is no problem. I suppose it costs a decent amount of money for a LCD screen that displays your whole system and such to turn parts on and off. Interesting though.

22. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    You can take my stuff, but if you mess with my wife or kids...

Ed

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

DrS, I talked to an FBI agent many years ago. He told me that the scarest thing in the world to a B&E guy was hearing the clack of a pump shotgun or a 9mm or 45 being racked.

Personally, I'd go with the pump. Imagine seeing my wife with a pump loaded with buck, screaming at the top of her lungs, waving the gun around knowing that there is no way she can miss with a shotgun.

DrT

ps In Texas, it is legal to blow away somebody as long as they fall into the house. There have been some strange cases where the pep somehow got blown backwards into the house. Imagine that.

24. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yeah, it is bigger. Unfortunately many people try to make up for lack of shooting skills with firepower. The faithfull are still boycotting S&W too.

My home is patrolled by an elite team of Nuns with guns...

25. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    mark!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!