Home Security? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Home Security?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lotustt, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    #26 F40, Jan 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    #27 F40, Jan 28, 2004
  3. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    #28 F40, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Agree with others that a pump shotgun makes excellent home defense.

I prefer:

1)Large Dogs
    2)Assorted weapons stashed in every room(keep a gun in the fridge too, nice if you're surprised while cooking).
    3)I'm not fond of home security cameras, I don't need an electronic witness who might counter my version of events.

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Don't forget to keep one in the bathroom in case you get caught with your pants down.:D

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #31 wax, Jan 28, 2004
  7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Wax,

i dunno about that. How about just keeping a few Jehovah Witnesses in the house holding stacks of literature. If THAT doesn't scare them away, then nothing will ;)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Good one. I remember during my hippie days that a bunch of Jehovah types came a knocking just as we were, uh, having our first, ah, peace pipe of the day. Yeah, that's what it was, a peace pipe. Remember the scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High where the smoke came rolling out of the VW bus? Well, that's kinda how it went. They knocked on the door which, because it didn't have a lock, swung open and the smoke came pouring out. They looked at us. We looked at them. They asked us if we had found Jesus. We said that we didn't now that he was lost, but that we'd keep an eyeball open for him. They said praise the lord, and we said don't bogart that joint, ah, I mean peace pipe.

Dr. Red-Eyed Tax

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The other Darth and I have it covered over here......

10. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Sure is, put a hot load in it and you will take out a small army with one shot. Great flash effect at night.

11. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    True enough that's why after 20 years of Martial Arts I still love hand to hand , nothing more satisfying than hitting flesh. Thank God my aunt is a judge here in the Republik Of Kalifornia she has been a valuable asset. I have a Waco like collection only because I don't want to be like the whiners who complain that they can't have such and such gun because they got banned here. Buy it now and don't worry about it later.

12. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    A pump shotgun and motion detector in my living room that turns on my bedroom light. If someone breaks in I want to be able to catch them and deal with the problem so they never do it again. Maybe if I was made of money I wouldn't care so much about losing my stuff, but for now I think anyone breaking into a house should be executed.

13. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I do some civillian security consulting in addition to my other lines of work. Most of the details are kept hush-hush for very good reasons. However.

There is a discernted advantage to being able to see in complete darkness at nearly any range...

[​IMG]

An early-warning system, with threat level assesment, and a rapid and capable responce are the cornerstones.

That can be anything from a dog and a pump-action, to 'use your imagination'.

14. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    no way she can miss with a shotgun?

Terribly false. I have more than 25 years experience with shotguns and this is one great huge misconception. At 7-10 yards a 12ga. with 00buck keeps all 9 .33 cal. pellets in apx the size of a basketball. So at 5 yds or so the shot pattern is even smaller. Mix this in with the TV/movie influence shoot from the hip style and it becomes very easy to "blow the shot" by placing that grapefruit size group right over the bad guys sholder. However in the movies you see all the time 1 shotgun blast and 6 people go down.

15. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Nothing like racking a mossberg at 2am, usually I hear "I am just here leaving you some vcrs i found nextdoor" coming through the wall. The burglers tend to make deposits rather than withdrawls.

www.firequest.com <<look under flechette or 'dart' rounds, or even dragonfire

You need small dogs, big dogs tear into them too fast, it is less sporting that way.

16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    the rack of a shotgun is a great psych weapon, but it is better to learn how to handle CQB (Close quarters battle) ie some form of empty hand self defence because when you wake up and the adrenaline kicks in you will not be thinking too clearly. froggy is right you'll probably hurt yourself. DEVGRU?

remember you know your home better than the 'visitor' use this to your advantage to evade and escape. sucks to have your stuff taken, but leave the recovery to the professionals. if they are personal and going for you, you got big problems.

casual attitudes towards weapons make for accidents. attitudes that gun make your life complete, without extensive training, you are just playing cowboy.

17. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Frogman- good post, and thought I know you indicate it as part of a total security strategy, I want to be sure that people living in 'good' neighborhoods don't forget that it's only part of the solution.

All it does is stack the odds a little more in your favor, it is not any kind of guarentee.

Poly Klass was kidnaped and murdered, less than a mile from the house I grew up in (All $600k+ homes in a north bay area town of 50,000people with no appricable crime level what so ever.)

It CAN happen anywhere, at any time, to anyone.

Personal security is an ongoing responsability, not an over-nite easy-fix.

PS: Blackwater is absolutely top notch.

18. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    #43 Uberpower, Feb 29, 2004
    This dog is the best protection for my house. Docile with my son, and rabid with everyone else... including door to door salesmen.

BONUS!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    While the pump-action sound may scare off an intruder, as someone else pointed out, the gun cannot wake you up.

A preferred bone-chillin' sound would be Fluffie the dog in full turf-protection mode. :)

20. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    that is one FUGLY dog

my malamute would howl if something was awry. he is really big and would show his teeth, but not really that great at personal protection, too darn friendly of a breed.

21. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Very true! Years ago i had two Malamutes. Very intimidating due to its size, but unless it could lick you to death, you would be safe. Now if a dog barked at the female, the male would go ballistic!!

22. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    There's a sticker on my kitchen window (faces the street) that says "You loot, I shoot". It was there when we moved in and we left it...don't have any guns though. I'm not against them, just don't want to deal with them with small kids in the house and no need for them in this neighborhood.