Horn button removal. | FerrariChat

Horn button removal.

Discussion in '206/246' started by 246er, Nov 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Hi guys, sorry for such a mundane question but I'm scared of damaging anything. My 246 horn was intermittent but day before MOT stopped working altogether.
    Power is not getting to the horn relay so I suspect connection to the horn button has come adrift.
    How do I remove the horn button to examine the workings?
    Advice, as ever, gratefully received!

Thanks,
    Chris.

2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    It pulls straight out Chris. You may need to use a thin flat blade screwdriver or better still a flat plastic tool to start to lever it out.

3. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Thanks Iain! I did think that might be it but mine seemed very tight in the boss. I'll be back on it this w/e.
    Cheers,
    Chris.

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    If the contact became separated from the horn button it would honk
    when, and if it grounds to the steering boss.

Turn the ignition on and try turning the wheel to see if it does.

You can test your system after taking the button off by grounding it.

If nothing, then problem is elsewhere.

Regards, Alberto

5. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Thanks Iain and Alberto,
    The button did come out easily and connection intact. Grounding it failed to activate horn and there is no power in the live feed to the button. There is power to the horn relay though and the relay clicks into action when independent battery connected to the positive and negative terminals on the relay, but still does not activate the horn (I checked another car with working horn and is the same and I'm puzzled why).

The problem seems to lie somewhere between the horn connection in the button and the relay, which is very difficult to follow. Methinks a visit to the auto electrician is the next step.

Thanks anyway for your help on such a mundane problem. I'll try and come up with something more interesting next time :)

Chris.

6. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Since you have located the relay for the horn, have you tried putting power directly to the horn to test the pump? I’ve read more than one discussion on oiling and maintaining the pump for the horn.

7. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Thanks Ken, it's a good idea to check up on maintaining the horn and I will do so. However I've just realised my (stupid) mistake in looking for power to the back of the horn button! Of course it just breaks the connection to earth. I made a connection from the negative terminal on the relay to earth and then have a fully working horn. So I have a breakdown in the wiring somewhere between the neg terminal on the relay and the run up the steering column to the back of the button, or the steering column is not properly earthed.
    At least I'm now looking in the right direction!