How about a radical new idea in exhaust system design for F430 's ? | FerrariChat

How about a radical new idea in exhaust system design for F430 's ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by neil e dale, Jan 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    #1 neil e dale, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Well, actually more mayhaps a well-proven idea from the past but a new application of it. I confess i am never so much a respecter of the status quo and stock exhaust systems and always have sought a better mousetrap ( more performance ) As a new Ferrari owner, and a longtime mechanic and motorcycle racer/rider, I recalled this technology from the 1980s that was used by a number of M/C manufacturers. We noticed there seems to be little objection to modifying Ferrari Exhaust systems! My hope is that a lighter, shorter system could be made and used. I am amazed at the length of the tubing used in my F430! I am not convinced it is optimum but suspect it is to even out the pressure waves to achieve a good balance of low and high RPM performance! I'm theorizing that w/ an active EXUP type system, a F430 exhaust could be improved markedly . What do you think ? There must be engineers in this crowd ? the EXUP system : I have quite a bit of experience w/ M/C exhausts and yes I know exhaust tuning is an issue w/ NA motors you need to get a system that will work w/ the cams and intake/exhaust tuning. that said I fail to see the need for all those feet/ meters of tubing! If one really needed adjustable backpressure you could use an EXUP type valve as Yamaha used on the 5 valves per cylinder 1000 cc motors. -

Yamaha Technology 1987: Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve - EXUP

A variable valve system that eliminates “valleys” in the torque development curve in 4-stroke engines. With continual improvement since the first adoption on the ’87 model FZR400R, the latest version is used on the YZF-R1.

Summary of the Mechanism
    This is a system that employs a variable EXUP valve in the muffler that can change the configuration of the exhaust duct in a way that controls fluctuations in exhaust pressure at the moments of overlap between the intake and exhaust valves in order to improve intake efficiency, boost power output and improve fuel economy.
    It can also be called a technology that applies the 2-stroke YPVS function to a 4-stroke engine. It was first adopted on the ’87 model FZR400R, since which constant improvements have been added. The EXUP adopted on the YZF-R1 has evolved to the point where input on five different parameters are used to regulate the controller.

Development Aim
    In this system a variable EXUP valve is placed in the muffler that functions in accordance with engine rpm to control the reflection wave cycle in the muffler. It was developed to help optimize the exhaust flow in the exhaust valve area in a way that makes the exhaust as well as the intake function more efficient and reduces power loss due to the “blow-back” phenomenon. It is a device that in effect creates an adjustable valve that changes the cross-section shape of the interior of the muffler depending on engine rpm to improve performance.
    Structure and Function
    In order to achieve greater accuracy, the system on the YZF-R1 functions on readings of five parameters:
    (1) engine rpm,
    (2) speed,
    (3) degree of throttle opening,
    (4) speed of throttle motion and
    (5) gear position.
    This information is processed by the control unit and, while also being relayed to the ignitor unit so it optimizes the ignition timing, the information is used to operate the EXUP valve to regulate the exhaust pressure wave and in that way improve intake efficiency. This helps achieve optimum response over a wide rpm range from low to high speeds.
    Effect
    1) Realizes elimination of low torque in certain rpm ranges and smooth acceleration all the way up to high speed.
    2) Improved actual fuel economy.
    3) Improved low-speed range combustion for
    (1) more stable idling,
    (2) less idling noise and
    (3) reduced HC levels in the exhaust. ....................... Note this is not just a "noise valve " as is fitted to the F430 it is much further upstream ! so has greater effect on exhaust pulsations , the pressure wave action ! ( yes it does affect the sound as well ) It was a very simple system really this was prior to fuel injection even ! we never saw this system fail nor get clogged and it was dead reliable ! It uses an electric servo motor w/ cables to drive the valve open and closed and was controlled by a box connected to the ECU / ignition system . [​IMG]

2. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Got it on my R6 too... pretty clever and probably not a gimmick, otherwise it would have been long gone on a sport bike.

neil e dale likes this.
  3. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    thx ! someone said " oh cars don't need it they have so much torque low down " I'm envisioning a REALLY short exhaust system ! headers ,exup valve sport cat, ( or none ) mufflers, (two -straight thru ) tailpipes ! done !

4. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    Im no engineer but am thinking check engine light might be glowing...

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i think you missed a point.

ferrari road cars isn't all about performance.

aesthetics, sounds, costs, etc all play a role on how the details were designed.

so , quoting from f1 jargons: "for sure", f430's exhaust setup isn't ideal. Actually most of its parts aren't. They are a compromise resulting from lots of constraints.

the EXUP system could be very well be better than the 430 setup, but it would have raised a lot of problem for ferrari, so they decided not to do that.

Or maybe ferrari just didn't care, really.

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    No need to reply to the OP. He's already banned from this board.

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Technically we don't need it, just like we don't need variable capacity inlet manifolds, or variators.

8. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ya got anything quieter for Kalifornia? ;)

Edit— The Peoples Republic of California.

9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ha. Exempt for racing purposes?

10. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I understand that there is a new law in place for noise. .. CHP really pulling people over for it??