How awesome is the 355 ? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

How awesome is the 355 ?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Skippr1999, Apr 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Today I was able to finally do a great shake down run.
    The F1 is amazing with new EVERYTHING.
    The car sounds and runs fantastic with a perfectly timed motor.

All I can say is WOW.
    Flawless

I still can't believe these cars are so under appreciated.

3. DarkHorseTerence

Oct 25, 2012

......I think this is pretty awesome.....?

SethP likes this.
  4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Indeed it is.

One observation ;
    When changing the F1 fluid it was very clean.
    The technic of sucking and filling the F1 fluid canister twice per year over the past 4 years worked totally fine.

In fact, the entire bleeding procedure was done manually simply by priming the system with the ignition on and opening the three bleed nipples one at a time, keeping the resovoir filled with fluid, like you would brakes.
    The pressure from the system was all you needed to do this. No computer necessary. The computer simply allows one the trigger the system from outside the car if desired. That goes for the clutch too.

And before anyone tries to debate the issue, I’ve witnessed this 1st hand and driven the car. It works flawlessly with a new clutch, throw out bearing, and flywheel. No computer needed. After having the power off for a period of time, the computer automatically sensed where the new clutch was, etc.

We have access to SD computers if it was necessary, but it wasn’t. I learned something new.

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thats what I like about the self lean pis for the clutch.
    I do not believe you can do this with any of the other f1's

6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    When I get a chance to ask about the 360 / 430 I will.

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So I've discussed the F1 system and parameters with my good friend, Matt Burns (factory trained master tech and all around bright dude).

The F1 system has a lot of parameters but I will just mention a few here:

- Self Calibrated Closed Clutch Position (automatically calculated each key on cycle)

- PIS (automatically calculated)

- Clutch position as new (stays constant)

So, Matt tells me when doing a new clutch, within the SD is a cycle routine and going thru that routine is supposed to set the clutch position as new equal to the Self Calibrated Closed Position. That is the only time those two values will be equal. Matt tells me he typically will make set the Clutch position as new manually (entering the same value as the self calibrated).

So, we know the percentage of wear is based off those two parameters. If you install a new clutch and don't set the clutch position as new parameter, it's value will be from the old clutch (when new) and the percentage of wear value will be meaningless.

Matt also believes the clutch position as new has other affects on drive-ability. He is working to get a specific answer for me on how else that value is used. I have a feeling that value establishes a base line or reference position.

8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks Dave. Together we will decipher this system.

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So, I just noticed this section in the WSM which supports the Clutch position as new parameter doing more than just deriving % of wear.

See this section:

So, while an SD might not be needed to get a car operational, to set it up properly, one should really be used.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Car takes off perfectly. Happy with it. As far as computer reading the wear of the clutch in the future, from what I've read here these figures aren't very accurate anyway. People post that the computer says the clutch is shot, yet the car goes many more miles.
    I'm going to treat it like any other car and replace the clutch when it is no longer adjustable and slips. That's probably not going to be in my lifetime !

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Skipp - as posted - the new closed clutch position parameter has an affect on the clutch characteristics. You said you had / have? access to an SD. Why not just connected it and set this parameter correctly? Sure, you may feel the car is operating correctly now but you don't know what will happen as the clutch wears.

Regarding the accuracy of the wear value, yes, it's my understanding the value can go beyond 100%. I'm certain the reason is tolerances. I highly doubt the clutch material is exactly the same thickness on every unit made. So, if the thickness varies, the amount of usable material varies.

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Very happy with the result of all this and moving on with life which is short.
    Thanks for the input everybody and I hope things were educational.

Skipp

Dave rocks likes this.
  13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #188 Dave rocks, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    OK, so Matt spoke with the engineer he knows last night.

The "Clutch position as new" is also used in conjunction with PIS. As the clutch wears, the system uses the "clutch position as new" value (manually set to equal "self calibrated closed clutch position" when doing a new clutch) and the "self calibrated closed clutch position" to determine clutch wear and add to the PIS.

So:

Self calibrated closed clutch position - clutch position as new = wear

Total PIS = PIS + Wear

As you can see, not setting clutch position as new when replacing a clutch is not going to yield optimum results.

Skippr1999 likes this.