How can I get a 308 | FerrariChat

How can I get a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by kcabpilot, Sep 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've wanted one since I was a kid, actually what I really pined for was a 246 Dino but they're out of sight now and I know, the 308 is an evolution, technically better so that's where my sights are set. I've owned a lot of Alfas and I've looked at and drove the 4C. I like it a lot but I'm an old gearhead. I like wrenching on stuff, I like restoring things. So the 308 seems more suited to me rather than a turn-key, under warranty new car. Honestly I can't see myself trusting anyone else to put a wrench to any seventy thousand dollar car I might own. But the Alfa is enticing.

What I really need is a 308 that needs a little bit of TLC that I'm perfectly capable of giving. I know it's out there but how do I find it?

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    fchat for sale section
    ferrarimarketletter.com
    ebaymotors.com
    hemmings.com
    autotrader.com
    cars.com
    dailylister.com
    bringatrailer.com
    collectorcartrader.com
    dealsonwheels.com
    autabuy.com
    carsforsale.com
    beverlyhillscarclub.com (specializes in tlc/project stuff)

happy hunting

3. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Where do you come from ? US or EU or UK or Asia, Australia or ... ?

It depends on the location, where to hunt.

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    308s are for sale everywhere. I've never seen so many at one time on hebdo.net here in Canada. Like posted above look at all the selling website.

5. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Don't forget Craigslist...

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Ferrarichat.com, the For Sales section.

7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks, I'm in California, SF Bay area

8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Glad we resolved this issue. Now, can anyone tell me, where I can buy milk?

9. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Don't forget Fantasy Junction in Emeryville, then. They even have an 85 GTS available right now, though it's priced higher than many "needs work" examples (and that's not necessarily a bad thing).

10. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    .................at almost any 7 Eleven. :)

11. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Welcome and fill out your profile when you can.

Good luck finding your 308.

12. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It seems like there are about 50 of them for sale at any given moment.

13. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Another option, which worked for me: call up local shops which specialize in these cars. On this list I would include:

Dino Motors in San Mateo
    Rosselli Motorsports in Campbell
    Grand Prix Motorsports (in San Jose?)

Others may add to this list, but these seem to be the most prominent ones.

I wanted to find a nice local car but none were locally for sale around 4 years ago when I purchased mine. I decided to go the shop route since they may have some leads and sure enough: Dino Motors had a pristine 85 QV getting a major service in preparation to sell. I ended up purchasing the car before it left Dino Motors. :)

Also, you should give the folks at San Francisco Sportscars (dealer) a call... they are really good guys and usually have 308/328 in their inventory.

Happy hunting!

Ruben

14. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know two for sale, one is an 82 GTS that needs hardly any TLC
    And the other one is a 78 that needs some TLC. Both in San Diego.

15. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is encouraging. I could be interested in a carbureted model despite horrible late 70's emission equipment issues. I could also possibly be interested in a GT4 if it were a '75 due to being smog exempt in California but I'm more drawn aesthetically to the Pininfarina designs.

This brings up a question that may be drifting a bit off topic but what is the deal with the 348's? I hadn't looked at or considered them before thinking that the newer cars would obviously be more expensive and out of my budget but it seems that's not the case. Are they "unloved" for some reason? Is it anything other than just the looks? I see they have a completely different drivetrain layout.

Anyway, I'm getting excited about this quest and looking forward to the day when I find the car that's out there waiting for me as we speak. Thanks for all of the helpful input.

16. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    first you get the money
    then you get the power
    then you get the 308

17. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Pretty much the normal list for me.

Cheaper side will be your 80-82 fuel injected cars.

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    San Francisco Motorsports.
    Carmisa in Burlingame.
    I know a 328 for sale.

All in the Bay Area

19. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    The one to look for is the rarest, most desirable 308 of them all...the 1980 Ferrari GTSi. Will soon be in the class of the 250 GTO pertaining to value and collectability :)

20. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    the 348 IMO gets a bad rap. Many say the design seems to be dated, but IMO that really does not hold water since it's just a smaller version of the TR and TR's don't seem to be hurting right now. The 348 is a very robust car and perhaps the last analog car ferrari made. I certainly know there are better models out there, but I do not regret going from my 308 (15 years) to a 348. For how I use it it's a far better car all around. I certainly miss my 308 and it is one of ferrari's most classic/timeless designs. The market finally caught on to it's classic/timeless status in the last couple years. They made a lot of 348's and the market is not yet willing to consider it classic yet.

21. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If you want to go newer but cheap I think there are many to consider. 348, 355, 360, 456 can all be found at affordable prices. Almost the same money as a 308.

22. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I suppose I should consider it, I'll have to acclimate myself I guess.

As I said, in 1972 when I was in high school I thought the Dino was the most beautiful automobile I had ever seen but where was an 18 year old kid gonna come up with twenty thousand dollars in 1972? So I set my sights on the Alfa Spider, which carried many of the same Pininfarina design elements of that era although it was a car I didn't particularly like until they introduced the kamtail version in '71. And, to be honest, I wasn't particularly smitten with the 308 initially either. I didn't like the pop-up headlights or some of the other aspects but over time it grew on me. Today I can't find a bad angle to it, it's true classic automotive art even despite the clunky US spec bumpers and other such nonsense of that era such as the 85 mph speedometer.

My thoughts now are to take my time and find the car I really want, the one that is destined for me.

23. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City

Hey, watch it! I have a 1980 GTSI ;)

24. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Caligula, so do I! That's why it is by far the most collectable and rare Ferrari!

25. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    The GTSi is a gorgeous car. There are those who make a big deal out of HP specs, but as a practical matter, they are all so close that it hardly matters. The 348 jumps to 300 horse which I could sense on the racetrack having more grunt and the Boxer & F0-40 passed me when I had my foot planted. I was driving a Euro-tuned carb 308.

Back to getting a 308's. They can get pretty pricey to restore, so I believe you'll be ahead of the game if you start with the best condition to start. FWIW on the track, the Mondial performs very well too. I love the GT4's. To me they look like a sculpture, and one of the most beautiful Ferrari's. Also perform quite acceptable.

CA SMOG is a royal pain, so a 75 is cool, a well tuned newer carb car will be fine, or the injected cars are notably easier to SMOG.

Good luck with your hunt!