How do I get canned model spraypaint to look good? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How do I get canned model spraypaint to look good?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by ryalex, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prowler

Prowler Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Glendale,Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matt
    sweet...i was into rc unlimited hydroplanes for awhile.....until i caught a wave and barrell rolled it at about 60mph.that was the last straw for me.i sold all my stuff and got into cars....i had an associated rc10 that i really liked....but i got bored and pissy with all the people ramming and shoving just so they could make a pass...i got tired of fixing it all the time.so i got out of it and all i have left is an rc 1/10th ford mustang body that i never mounted.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks for the responses.

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i'm getting into building models (1/24) and use tamia spray paints. I used some regular spray one from the local hobby store (that new krylon thing) for my first model and then clear coated it with tamia. looks good. I'm about 1/3 of the way through my countach and then the f50 gets assembled :D

4. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Are you using a primer?

A primer is needed for really any paint job no matter how you spray the final coat.

As for wrinkling..is that Testors reacting to the plastic beneath it or the primer?..or is it Orange peel?

Before applying a final coat, lightly sand with 400 grit paper, assuming you use a primer coat

If you have orange peel, let the testors cure for several weeks, then wet sand with 1500 grit paper and polish

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    It was orange peel. But I didn't have a primer either. My bad... next time I'll do things right - the hard way! :)

EDIT: Doing it once right is easier than 3x wrong though.

6. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
  7. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
  8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You're welcome. I enjoy building plastic models but they are very time consuming to do right.

I visited your site...You have some nice stuff! I don't necessarily "collect" builts but when there's something special I will buy it. I'd like to have a built of an early 4-headlight 330 GT, like the one I own...can you get these?

9. AntonioMora

AntonioMora F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2004
    Malaga (España)
    Full Name:
    Antonio Mora Romero
    Hello everybody, my Name is Antonio i am from Malaga in Spain, i'm looking for ferrari mondial coupe 1/24 scale but i'm interested in this car in all diferent scales, have you seen it? please tell me how i can to bought this scale model (sorry for my english) thank you.

10. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    After doing scale model trains for longer than I can remember, you need to invest in an airbrush. Practice with various pressure settings and nozzle openings on something you can afford to ruin until you get the technique down. Air brushes come with reasonably good instructions and are not very expensive-20 to 50 bucks. Once you are fairly proficient, you will be astounded at the quality of paint job you can get-truly "museum quality"...You need to start the paint spray away from the subject and smoothly make several light passes ending after you get beyond the subject or the initial splat will be too thick-it just takes a little practice!

11. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I would check out Ebay if you are interested in a kit. Just about every Ferrari assembly kit model ever made comes on there. I've bought enough Ferrari kits off Ebay to last me the rest of my life but no Mondial, mine are mostly vintage era.

12. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    As far as I know, there is no large scale kit of a Mondial. There are a few models of the Mondial in 1/43rd scale..

13. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I just searched the Toys and Hobbies-auto models section on ebay and came up with two resin curbside-no engine 1/43 Mondial kits.

All the nice detailed 1/24 plastic Ferrari assembly kits are of the big name cars, especially for the vintage 60's era. Too bad there are no 2+2's such as 250, 330, 365, 365 GT4, Mondial, 456. There's not even a 550 Maranello! That last one surprises me, because the kit mfg's really push the late model supercars. Most of the vintage-car 1/24 plastic kits are discontinued and you have to get them off ebay