How do you remove the radio in a 348? | FerrariChat

How do you remove the radio in a 348?

Discussion in '348/355' started by PassionIsFerrari, Sep 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    hey guys just got my 348 yesterday. Bianco White, 20k miles, awesome shape, interior is gorgeous...the driver side automatic seatbelt even works. Only things wrong:
    passenger side auto seatbelt doesnt work
    I put about 80 miles on it yesterday....twice when i was breaking and stopped at the light it stalled...but the other 50 times it didnt...Anybody know why?
    the cd changer cartridge keeps jamming and the head unit keeps displaying 'reset' (dont care about this because i am replacing and dont need the changer)
    drivers door light (red one)...doesnt light up
    smelled a kind of burning smell a couple of times off the interstate...had the heat on for a while...
    shifting is a tad difficult although not really worse then any other 348 i have drivin

all controls work, although there are a couple of knobs and buttons on the center console that i have no idea what they do.

How do i remove the radio from the car? I am putting a new Sony 1HD which has a 10 gig hard drive built into the head unit. No need for a changer, with this head unit, you can copy cd's onto the hard drive in the unit and it saves them in mp3 format.You can store over 165 hours of music on the head unit....BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO REMOVE IT...normally, I am one of those...figure it out...kinda guys...
    NOT WITH THIS CAR....
    i need help from the experts...
    Any other advice too...I have read and read and read so many threads but you never can have too much info...
    Thanks everyone and I have to say that the first day was a very enjoyable experience...

1 other note...car was damaged during shipping...drivers side vent cracked off in the corner and a hole about finger size was put in the bottom bumper...filed a claim with the shiping company (DAS) and everything should be covered.

2. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    I have removed and installed a radio in my own 348ts.If it is a DIN radio it should come out fairly easily from the front.It might require a DIN radio removal tool if there are two small holes on each side of the radio.Some radios have locking tabs behind the face plate which is the plastic trim ring aroundthe radio,that can br removed by prying carefully with a small screwdriver.The locking tabs should be visable
    on each side of the radio and can be relased by inserting a small flat blade screwdriver into the tabs.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

(1) You should be able to remove the radio without pulling the whole hinged door assembly apart. Remove the knobs of the radio (just pull toward you) and look for hex nuts along the spindles. Most old car radios will release that way. Unscrew those nuts from the spindle, and it should be free.

(2) I've replaced the whole hinged door assembly on my car. I found the easiest way was to remove most of the center console trim pieces first, then you'll have easy access to the two screws that hold it in place. (a) remove ash tray inserts. Unscew two ashtray screws (b) remove ashtray enough to allow access to center panel (where shifter is). (c) unscrew shift gate, but don't loose the screws into the gated box! (d) jimmy the center piece so its free. Be careful -- it's some expensive plastic! (e) the HVAC unit will now be floating in space. just lower it down a bit, and you'll see two screws holding the radio brack it place. Voila!

(3) Drivers side red door light is likely a bulb. Use a micro screwdriver to open the lens and you'll see the bulbs in there. Swap drivers/passenger bulbs to ensure it's not a wiring issue. Bulbs can be bought at Pep Boys

(4) The smell of smoke isn't comforting... but it could be something really simple like a drip of oil when the car was last filled. (The oil resevoir isn't near anything too hot.... so I'm not sure my theory is valid)

(5) Which buttons/knobs do you need some help with? The lock/unlock buttons are sheer Italian stupidity.

(6) Cracked cheese grater and air dam? Yikes. That's going to cost the insurance company (DAS') a nice chunk of change!

Is this the car that was at Bay State & Naples Motorsports? Pictures!!!!

Welcome to the brotherhood of 348 owners!

-Daniel

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I believe you have to remove the engine to get the radio out. :) LOL

5. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    LOL...Yeah, I called FOA and they said that I have to do a major service in order to remove the radio.

But really...

Its a Sony radio..if that helps at all. Bought it from PA...Autostrada...through Ebay...
    I figured the shipping company is going to have some bucks...Cant imagine that part being cheap from Ferrari ( or the bumper) and there is no way I am letting them get by with anything else but replacing the parts (or I will hit them with a diminish value claim).
    The guy that previously owned built a valentine one in the car and built the remote piece in the flip cover of the radio...very very cool...i still havent found the actual radar detector but i hear it turn on everytime the car turns on.
    what about the stalling after applying the brakes and coming to a stop? Any thoughts on what would cause that?
    I check the floor this morning to see if it was leaking any oil and there was none..always a good sign...i guess...

6. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    Oh yeah...forgot the buttons...

Behind the set of buttons with the door lock and unlock and gas cap buttons are a set of buttons...(behind meaning closer to the rear of the car)...there are two toggle type buttons side by side and a rotating knob next to it...it has an alarm although i havent figured out how to work it...behind that there is a silver toggle switch which i have NO IDEA what it does...im thinking something with the radar dector because when i toggled it up and done the radar detector display flickered...it also has a toggle button on the plastic trim piece on the drivers side near the side mirror (that triangle looking black piece)...
    i thought it was weird that the guy that owned this cars name was James Bond, maybe they control the stinger missles built into the car???

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Pictures !!! (especially of the Valentine 1) would help.

-Daniel