How do you use for health insurance? | FerrariChat

How do you use for health insurance?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by redjeeper, Feb 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redjeeper

redjeeper Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Flowood, MS
    Full Name:
    Anthony Griffin
    I know that we have a lot self-employed people on this board. Who do you guys use for health insurance and if you don't mind, what are your cost?

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ARE YOU ASKING WHO DO WE USE FOR HEALTH INSURANCE AS IN WHAT COMPANY??

3. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    It's amazing how off-topic the off-topic area can get

4. redjeeper

redjeeper Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Flowood, MS
    Full Name:
    Anthony Griffin
    Yes Bruce, what company do you guys use. I am about to open my automotive shop later this year and need to look into a policy for my business.

5. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    There are questions to be answered here. Is it going to be just yourself? Are there employees to cover? What kind of facility do you have? What kind of work will you be doing? Can you live with HMO coverage? Want a Planned Provider network?

I have Blue Cross for my architecture firm. I have 55 staff members and pay around $150 per month per single employee and nearly $400 per month for employees with family coverage. (There are vision and dental benefits and some life insurance as well.) As architects we are considered a relatively "low risk". I'm not sure how the auto repair shop job description affects premiums. You should talk with any auto shop owners you may know regarding what their experience has been. My best luck has been with Humana and Blue Cross. You may have to just get with them and get a quote. It's never cheap.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Jeep, what Daryl said makes a lot of sense... Apparently the insurance companies in his state will quote you on your profession; not all states do that... If you're in NY or NJ, let me know, we're licensed for those two states in health, dental, life, etc.... Commercial health insurance in NY is community rated, so you'll get the same rate for the same plan whether you go to a broker or directly to the insurance company... In NY, they don't care if you're an accountant or a lion tamer, 18 or 64, male of female, etcetera... However, the rates that Daryl rattled off are a LOT more appealing than rates you'll find in NY...

Also, in NY, there's a big difference in options if you're a sole proprietor or not... S Corps, LLCs, Incs, Subchapter Ss are all eligible for the same things; sole proprietors get screwed royally... If you can, put someone else on the books; it will broaden your options 100 fold...

Also, in NY, 20 hours a week is considered full time; unless special circumstances apply, part-time employees are not eligible for health insurance with most carriers...

What state do you live in...?