HOW LONG ARE TIRES SAFE? | FerrariChat

HOW LONG ARE TIRES SAFE?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by steve meltzer, Jan 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    and, what's the outside limit date code you'd accept on a tire for a high performance car, like a Ferrari?
    e.g. 6 months, a year? longer?? I know these tires can sit, getting older, in a warehouse. thanx steve

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I thought it was generally six years. However, see here.

See here for what Michelin says.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A lot of our sizes are getting hard to find, and maybe "once a year" type production.....so consider that.
    That might see you looking at tires more than 12 months from manufacture.

As far use on the ground, most (ALL?) say that at five years no matter the apparent condition the rubber has lost critical chemicals related to traction and braking performance and should be changed.

I fitted some "new appearing" warehouse finds over the Goodyear advice, and they fragged out in less than six months, in a dangerous way.
    So "they" are right, in this case!!

4. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx so much. so my complaint, upon receiving a tire 20 months old is a reasonable?? thanx again steve

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think you're being reasonable. Close to 2 years seems a tad too long to me. I start to get itchy to replace them when it gets to be 4 or 5 years after the date stamp, regardless of mileage and tread wear. So, close to 2 years is almost half that time frame. Most of the tires I've bought from Tire Rack have a date code that's typically 6 - 9 months before I bought them...T

6. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx so much. s

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    What car are they going on and how many miles a year will you be doing in it?

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    ...or rather will you wear the tread out before the tyres are 6 or 7 years old?

9. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    they're going on a Daytona, and I doubt i'd wear the tread out (who does, really?), but i'm worried about tire compound deterioration over time. s

Daytonafan likes this.
  10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Have you actually bought them yet? If not shop around and see if you can get some newer ones, but the article here implies that the ageing only really starts when the tyres are mounted on a rim.

It also depends on the price you paid or will be paying. Use the age as a bargaining point to get a discount.

11. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    i wouldn't think the mounting status would matter, but you're right, it's written vaguely. I've purchased the tire already, so I know there' about 18 months already on it. Coker was willing to check the date, but I bought it elsewhere. Did think about asking for a prorata refund, and if I don't return it, that's my strategy. thanx s

tomc likes this.
  12. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Steve, I am on set number 8 in my Daytona...regards, Malcolm

TTR and Daytonafan like this.
  13. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've kept them on the car for 8 years in the past.
    Be sure to ask the retailer what the date codes are BEFORE ordering. I bought a set of tires for my (ex) 250 GTE a few years back from a well known tire retailer. When they arrived they were already 2 years old.

14. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I did ask, and was reassured that they would be fresh, but were being drop shipped so they couldn't promise me anything. Nonetheless, that ain't my problem and, on eBay, your feedback score is a powerful tool. Offered a fair prorata deal and now waiting to hear. thanx. s