How long to change a CV Boot? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

How long to change a CV Boot?

Discussion in '348/355' started by vdettore, Nov 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    So Doug from FerrParts did reach out to me, was very nice and they overnighted me the parts at no charge. He also offered me a great discount for a brake caliper if I needed it.

2. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Here is my thought since I am not going to go through the hassle of cleaning up two of the boots and sending them back to Ferrparts. In the photo of the boot If you notice the inner transition of the boot where it meets the lip I'm going to cut it back so that the boot will slide all the way to the flange. Then band it and see how if looks and feels. It may not work, but at this point it is worth a try. If it does not work I'll call Ricambi to see if their CV boot will fit my flange. If Ricambi doesn't have the correct boot then I'll buy new flanges with boots.

Attached Files:

3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi, this is vdettore from the future posting on someone else's account. You should have just put the correct boots on.

Do you really want to go through this again?

;)

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Or, you know, use the right tool. ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Lol. I hear you Paul. Here’s hoping i find the correct boots. But if I don’t...( just like my dang ATE calipers )

Vince FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    OK, just went thru my records..... 348's use P/N: 95860404. Early 355's use that number as well for the wheel side.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Have a look at your own posted link, John. States 348 ;)

johnk... likes this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    My old eyes skipped over that. 328, 348, what's in a digit, new math. o_O

taz355 likes this.
  10. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh I have that one, but there is another one that is a thin, wide band that you don't crimp. It just locks into place. You have to cinch it down with a specific tool which was discussed earlier or the technique I described.

11. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    trying to follow - I’m slow, does it fit the 348?

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes. See the P/N I posted. That boot is gearbox and wheel side on a 348

taz355 likes this.
  13. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince

Is this a strap anyone has used? I just opened the box from Ferrparts. Was expecting the CV boot clamp with the nub. I’m guessing it works by wrapping the end through the slot and bend it back. Just wondering how to get it tight.

14. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    That's a new on on me.

Mine were the crimp on ones.

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You got the other style. You need the other pliers. I personally do not like that style

Dave rocks likes this.
  16. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    #91 vdettore, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Which pliers? I’ve seen the banding tool but not another type of plier. Only the one pictured earlier. I’ve searched on the internet for 30 minutes and this type of cv boot clamp doesn’t show up. I don’t see how to grip it to get it tight enough. Hopefully I can return them. Getting frustrated.
    View attachment 2638530

17. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
  18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    vdettore likes this.
  19. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    I don't think one can use this plier but these clamp since there is no spare length to put around the plier..

Just go to a standard automotive shop and buy regular ear clamp.

vdettore likes this.
  20. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Yeah the banding strap clamp won’t work. Will do that. Not sure why Ferrparts is selling this type of clamp. Maybe a better strap. Who knows. I just don’t see a way to hold it in place while tightening it.

21. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Note to anyone reading this post, I plan on closing the loop on the post with what too make sure you have before you start and things to be aware of ( boots are different, straps are different, etc.,). Something for a novice like me to know when starting the job.

WATSON likes this.
  22. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good idea and very helpful

23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    They sell i t because it fits more sizes. The ear type are very specific to diameter

24. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    vdettore likes this.
  25. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    #100 vdettore, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Below are some things this novice wrench turner learned installing CV Boots on my 348 for the 1st time. (At least the driver’ side. Saving the other side when I have time to tackle the bearing replacement).

Bottom line is the torn boot on the drivers side along with the other one is replaced and I didn’t break anything
    So this is one more thing I’ve learned about 348’s along with the enjoyment of learning to wrench my own car which would have been a lot harder had it not been for the help and advice given by fellow F-Chatters – so thanks to all of you for your help!

1. From the beginning If I had had the right tools( cv boot pliers and retainer clip pliers) and the right cv boots and clamps I could have done it in a few hours, but that wasn’t the case.
    2. There are some differences between the early 348’s like my 1990 than later models. Specifically there was no axle nut to remove which was nice.
    3. The CV Boots I ordered were a little smaller than the ones that came off and had a lip that would not allow for the boot to slide all the way down to the flange. But I checked and they were listed as the correct cv boots from the Ferrari parts company. So I carefully trimmed off the rubber piece with a razor blade and it fit perfectly. I would have tried to reorder the cv boots but I was not convinced any of the Ferrari suppliers would know the cv boots I needed and it already took two weeks to get mine in. See below pictures comparing the CV Boots.
    4. When you order the CV Boots make sure you are ordering a kit that includes the boot straps and grease. I thought I was, but turns out that wasn’t the case. So I ordered the grease and straps – which the order sat on the suppliers desk for several days and it took another 10 days. Then the boot straps that came in are not like any I’ve ever seen and I had to order new straps taking another week.
    5. During this time while waiting on the CV Boot straps I decided to crank the car to let it run while up on jack stands and with the brake caliper off the rotor – I forgot and pressed the brake pedal and thought I had messed up a caliper piston – fortunately not. But more time and research wasted – well maybe not I learned a little more about the 348.

WATSON likes this.