360 - How many miles is a Ferrari engine good for? | FerrariChat

360 How many miles is a Ferrari engine good for?

Discussion in '360/430' started by EastMemphis, Aug 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The question relates to how many miles (or kilometers) a typical 360 engine can go before it needs something important done to the inside. That could be valves, tappets, cams, pistons, etc. A major component. Typically, for a average car like a Buick or a Honda, well over 100,000 miles. How do Ferrari engines, and specifically, the 360 engine, hold up? Thanks.

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Are you saying Buick and Honda (and other 'standard' cars) have defined replacement/refurbishment intervals for valves, tappets, cams, pistons, etc?

3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ferrari has well defined intervals for these kinds of services, same as Buick, Honda, etc.

4. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Just like any other car...it's all in how you treat it .

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    There was a 360 sold a year or 2 ago with over 120k on the original engine, still running strong. Maintenance is the key.

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The (2000 360) owners manual has scheduled maintenance services listed out to 120000 mi. It is mostly fluid changes, inspections, and of course belts (which would include timing). Otherwise there is nothing mentioned about valves, tappets, cams, pistons, etc.

7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Perhaps the question was misleading. The question has nothing to do with scheduled maintenance. I'm asking how many miles does the average engine go before it needs something major, like in needs work because something has broken.

Maybe I should have made this a poll.

How many miles did your 360 engine go before it needed something major:

A. I had a major problem around 10,000 miles.
    B. I had a major problem around 20,000 miles.
    C. I had a major problem around 30,000 miles.
    D. I've gone 30,000 miles and never had a problem.
    E. I've gone 50,000+ miles and never had a problem.

Is this clearer?

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Even if you ignore post 4 & 5 there's plenty of other high mileage / low maintenance threads to calm the doubts of a non-owner

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    You may want to put a dollar value on it ..major means more than 7k in repairs etc

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The cars are very reliable and will go a LONG time without detonating. You do have to maintain them and will it throw a $10K bill at you, most definitely. The question appears flawed in structure because there are many examples with very high mileage and I know about a few over 100K.

11. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    It has everything to do with scheduled maintenance. Without it something major will happen or break early in its life. With it and driven with respect nothing major should break. The engine will eventually wear out over a very long time at a very high mileage. Same as a Honda or Buick.

EastMemphis likes this.
  12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    That was a useful answer. Thank you very much. I may be a non-owner right this very second but that's about to change. Appreciate the insight.

13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think of the biggest things that may hahave been missed in the conversations above is that it's something really goes wrong with a Buick it may cost thousands where in a Ferrari the same item that breaks that cost tens of thousands ...or hundreds in a Buick but thousands in a Ferrari

So maybe not so major hit to ones wallet for a Buick but definitely in a Ferrari

e.g. water pump , timing belt snaps, synchro issue, ...even a rotor that gets damaged

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

14. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    Ferrari is an engine company. They make really neat cars to put around the engines, but they are an engine company. I have been to the factory and I have seen the way these engines are assembled. With moderate driving and good maintenance there is absolutely no reason these engines cannot get several hundred thousand miles on them. If you get in your car cold and act like Michael Schumacher at Spa in 1994, well, your longevity will suffer. I let mine warm up slowly, always kiss redline at least once during every drive, and then let it cool down slowly. It doesn’t really matter if it’s a vintage Harley Davidson, an old Ford, or a Ferrari, all engines want to be treated the same way.

15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Better question who has highest mileage running examples and what major problems have you had?

Ghostdiver likes this.
  16. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    Modern engines in run-of-the-mill passenger cars like the aforementioned Buick and Honda *don't break*. I mean, seriously, they don't. Ever. And before anyone flames me on that, I'm not talking about external components like alternators, starters, electronics, sensors, etc. When is the last time you heard of a passenger car needing valves, or breaking a camshaft, or throwing a rod? YES, I know these things happen, but they are very rare even in vehicles with 2-3-and even 4 hundred thousand miles. Engines don't break any more. Sometimes they might blow a head gasket, but even that won't usually damage the internals. Transmissions don't last, and electronics/sensors are the first things to go - this is where cars break down.

I expect it's at least somewhat similar with Ferrari's. Expensive things go out like clutches, F1 pumps, exhaust manifolds, and other items like injectors and sensors. But you don't hear much about the internals going kablooey.

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    67k miles on mine with original engine, just fluid and belt changes. I EXPECT to put 100k+ on the engine before the main bearings need replacement.

It's a car that is actually surprisingly reliable. You just need to recognize the cars limitations with the engineering that goes into it, bring it to mechanics who won't break it, and don't beat on the car. Someone who gives a Corolla a hard life (they're out there) will give a 360 a hard life. Ferrari makes engines on par with Porsche IMHO.

Nachtfalter likes this.
  18. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    It's good to hear from someone with a "high mileage" car. My car has 48k miles, and I look forward to following in your footsteps.

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If it were a Porsche, 50k miles would be "broken in"... :)

20. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    And if its a 99 -01 996 60K would be a TOTAL engine failure due to the intermediate shaft bearing.

flat_plane_eddie, GaryR and vrsurgeon like this.
  21. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I would guess ferrari engines are better built and engineered then most car engines given the company’s race background. Of course it relies heavily on scheduled maintenance.

Bear in mind these are relatively small v8 engines designed with high horsepower and high redline. It seems the engines themselves are capable of lasting many miles before requiring any real maintainance or replacement of internal components. Quality of parts used and strict tolerances probably play a key role in the lasting power of internal components.

I’ve seen more then a dozen 360’s and maybe 6-8 f430’s with more then 80k miles. And there are reports from members that this is all with regular maintainance and no overhaul.

Seems to me that following Ferrari’s reccomended maintainance schedule and proper care of the cars equal a fairly reliable ownership experience. This is not to say the required upkeep is cheap by any stretch of the imagineation. I’ve even seen a couple of California’s and at least one 458 with,in Ferrari terms, high miles and no engine work required. One California owner uses his car as a daily and has passed 100k miles and other then the cost to replace the brakes on all 4 corners with rotors at around 95k miles has had a relatively inexpensive ownership cost with just regular maintainance.

I’m sure there is a point that internal components will require attention but so far other then issues related to neglected or deferred maintainance I’ve not heard of a 360 or newer Ferrari needing engine work outside of recall issues. So I’d not worry about it if the example in question has lived a cared for life.

Targaflorio0199 likes this.
  22. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    +1
    The key word is “modern”.
    In the 70s and early 80s, engine rebuilds, valve jobs etc were pretty common. Engine rebuilders were common... now, very rare except for performance jobs.
    I had bad luck with carbureted small block chevs...seemed like every 100k I’d have oil leaks, blown head gaskets or rings and valve issues. Now, I’d expect to go 200-250k.

EastMemphis likes this.
  23. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    67k miles

Never a major breakage issue

Budget $1.75 per mile for maintenance

Includes tires brakes rotors etc

24. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    I'm curious how many miles you drive each year to arrive at that number. Some costs are "fixed" in that they occur once per year for regular service or once every three years for a "major". As such, it seems the cost per mile would actually go down the more the car is driven. Of course that works the opposite with tires and brakes, so maybe it balances out.

Red 27 likes this.
  25. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Look at the 360's for sale in Europe.
    I Googled "360 Ferrari for sale in Germany".

The mileage numbers are 55, 88, 68, 40, 66, 58, 32, 47, 69, 88, 62, and 121 thousand Kilometers.

A lot different than the US.

carnutdallas likes this.