How many miles will a ferrari 348 go with never getting a belt change ??? You wanna know? | FerrariChat

How many miles will a ferrari 348 go with never getting a belt change ??? You wanna know?

Discussion in '348/355' started by tommygunct, Oct 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tommygunct

tommygunct Karting

Dec 26, 2012
    Stuart florida
    Well mine went 111.655. I just popped it. Ran beautiful all that time. Well I bought it with 30,000 on it. I put the rest. Now for the big question. Anybody out there good that can do the job and not kill me pricewise. I'm in Stuart Florida. Anybody around my way but I guess anywhere around Florida way I can get it there. Tommy. 203 640 8962. I was going to have it done before I moved from ct but my guy was too busy. Too bad for me lol.

2. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    You let it go for 81,000 miles?! Lol. You’re a legend.

how many years of driving does that represent?

26street, SPOM13 and VAF84 like this.
  3. tommygunct

tommygunct Karting

Dec 26, 2012
    Stuart florida
    I lived in ct and drove my car ever day there was not lice on the roads. Even in the snow many times. Ps it absolutely blows in the snow. Lol. I drove it off road in the woods of ri and ct on fire trails. Beaches and dunes of ri and cape cod thru rain storms. 1 hurricane that was a real trip. Lol and drove it like Enzo built the cars to be driving. Never Baby but never never beaten on well maybe a few times Did all my Own work On it popped one transmissionAnd a slew of alternators until I read the alternator the way I wanted to do it and never had a problem after that It's been very very good to me And has brought me nothing but pleasure in all that time even when it did break down now and then It originally belonged to David Wells in New York Yankee I've owned it for about 10 years And after I get this Belt job done I hope to put another 100000 miles on it

Attached Files:

SPOM13, ggbh8, k wright and 3 others like this.
  4. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Legend.

k wright likes this.
  5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Nice !!!
    Tell you this if it belonged to David Wells it was beat to heck before you got it. Thats a great run

BTW You win !!!! LOL

k wright and VAF84 like this.
  6. tommygunct

tommygunct Karting

Dec 26, 2012
    Stuart florida
    You must know him lol. It was not well taken care of or loved when I got it. Not at all. It was waiting for me to appreciate it

kandi likes this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wait your belt or something in the timing system failed? If you have a shop do it, hang on to your hat, there is almost certianly 16 bent intake valves to boot. Machining the head etc.

Well done btw.

Sent from my SM-G990U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. tommygunct

tommygunct Karting

Dec 26, 2012
    Stuart florida
    Thank you for the info. Hey where was that place. I was out for a ride and stopped to take a picture there. I can't for the life of me remember. I was going To bring my car to a guy in Connecticut but I don't remember his name now I name now I always did all my own work and never used anybody else but I was gonna have this guy throu do the belt because a couple of friends of mine said that he was pretty good but I don't remember his name

Who did you use in CT? My guy retired a couple of years ago.

View attachment 3417658 [/QUOTE]

10. tommygunct

tommygunct Karting

Dec 26, 2012
    Stuart florida
    Ohh I'm sure I'm in for a can of worms lol. But whatever it is I guess I'm still ahead of the game after all these years. ..... I hope

Well done btw.

Sent from my SM-G990U using FerrariChat.com mobile app[/QUOTE]

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I do most work myself as well, but looking for someone to do an engine out on my 355, BEFORE a belt brakes. 10 years on them, but only 13k miles. :)

The picture was at Carter Hill Farm on CT RT 66 in Marlborough. About a mile west of the center of town.

12. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Glad you're proud you blew up your car. 5 stars! Now it will cost you 3 Major Services to repair (if not more).
    Great at math! 5 stars! Fchat kudos! Like always.

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    10 years would have been 3 engine out services for $15K total. Now, you are looking at a total engine rebuild. I hate to tell you that you are not ahead of the game. Hey, it was fun.

Targatime likes this.
  14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, if he did majors every 15k miles he would still come out at least 2 majors ahead. And he will have a better engine in the end, so probably a good deal. Fact is, if you just drove these cars until the motor blows you can probably buy a used motor and rebuild it for less than what all the majors would cost if you did them on time/mileage recommendations. Preventive maintenance on a Ferrari, as specified by Ferrari, is a false economy. But we do it because we (at least some of us) believe that belts break if you look at them crooked.

tatry68 likes this.
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Mine blew up 2 years and 1000 miles after a major. So did a few others. You think a major prevents failures? I just read through a ton of your posts. You drop in, give a comment and leave, usually agreeing with something someone else said ahead of you. No insight, no record of you actually having a Ferrari or any legit experience with them. Probably not old enough for a license.:eek:

spaghetti_jet, ChoonHound and Pangea like this.
  16. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    No matter what I think about intervals, the OP is enjoying the car in HIS way. If he comes back on complaining about what his lack of maintenance will cost him...feel free to blast him then.

sjd

spaghetti_jet and AceMaster like this.
  17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Totally, he is not bothered at all, he's not complaining. Rather he relished his time.

In fact he is sharing a valuable data point many are too afraid to find themselves but many have wondered. I find this post very useful.

Sent from my SM-G990U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

epb0, Jakuzzi, ernie and 1 other person like this.
  18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Having been around here for some time one thing I can say with some authority is that there are a many, many, many more threads about how long belts last than there are about broken belts. And in those few broken belt threads it's typically some other failure that caused the belt to break, regardless of model , year mileage or age.

epb0, Doug., technik1 and 1 other person like this.
  19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When I bought my 348, my plan was to do the major every 5 years. I ended up going 9 years (and just over 9,000 miles) before I got to my first one due to several reasons beyond my control.

The belt was just starting to show wear, and the tensioners/bearings were all Ferrari parts. I replaced them with the Hill tensioners/bearing in the kit from Ricambi.

Obviously, I got very lucky, but the point being is that the belt can definitely outlast the recommended interval and will break for reasons other than time surpassed/mileage driven.

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Like a broken pully fence.:oops:

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Lucky? Was there any indication that failure was imminent?

22. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No. Definitely not imminent.

I mean lucky as in 9 years without the belt breaking or the bearings/tensioner seizing.

johnk... likes this.
  23. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    When I was replacing my belt in December last year, I found out that it was made in July 2006 so 16 years old. It was in the engine probably for about 10-12 years (6 years while with me). It still looked pretty good. I was lucky not about the belt but about the sprocket fence which was on the way to get dislodged over the next (guessing) 6-7000 miles.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Live and let live. Your car you do do it your way.

But.

The point of a regular maintenance schedule is to service the car before the components fail so that the enjoyment of the car is not interrupted or additional collateral damages are incurred. The collateral damages in this case are 16 or more valves, possible number of pistons and liners, expensive head gaskets (x2), machine shop cost of valve job, and 20 hours of additional labor over the engine out. Depending on who is doing this engine rebuild and what else is damaged, this repair can go into $2x,000 easily.

Where I live, a valve job is $100 per valve, and cost of valves is extra and it's $200 - $300 each. A liner is $500 each the last time I needed one. A piston with rings is $1750. Three months in the shop.

I am not blasting the OP for enjoying the car his way. I'm just pointing out the cost when it destructively catches up.

25. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No.

I mean lucky as in, going 9 years without an issue.