How many miles will a ferrari 348 go with never getting a belt change ??? You wanna know? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How many miles will a ferrari 348 go with never getting a belt change ??? You wanna know?

Discussion in '348/355' started by tommygunct, Oct 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    When I bought my car in Feb 2020, it had not had a engine out service since 2006.....I got onto it quickly and didn't drive it much until I did the service, I still have all the parts I removed and the belt....Normally on a belt that old, when you turn them inside out like this you'll see cracks, but this belt is still very subtle and even still has the printing on it, I was quite surprised with the condition, I was expecting it to be showing its age a lot more....
    Not that this is the case all the time, and I am not suggesting to leave it for this long, but sometimes if you're lucky you'll get away with it...
    Ive done 8,000miles since I did the service, I wonder what it will be like when I do the next service...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    It seems everyone is assuming the belt broke on the op's car. All he said was the engine "poped". Lets wait and see what he finds out what went wrong before we blame a particular aged part.

k wright likes this.
  3. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I read the post a couple of times because I couldn't figure out if anything actually broke too......
    I posted a picture of how my 14 year old belt was actually looking pretty good after all that time, always makes for an interesting discussion....

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Holy smokes Tommy!

When you left me the message you didn’t mention your belt popped! I hope you don’t have serious internal damage to the engine.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There is a good chance that the price for all the bent/broken parts will exceed your concept of "not kill me",
    without labor being added.

{hint: many of the parts will be NLA and if you need one you may have to "get it machined"}

6. tommygunct

tommygunct Karting

Dec 26, 2012
    Stuart florida
    none at all i ran fantastic all that day i drove 260 miles that day alot over 90mph it went at about 25mph

7. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    It doesn't surprise me at all that the belt lasted that long.

Now the pulley fences and bearings...That's a different story.

Oh, and the chain tensioner. I want to see what that looks like after 80000 miles.

8. SPOM13

SPOM13 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2015
    15 years and 4K miles… mine looks fine. No cracks, just a little discoloration. Lots of work to discover that. I did have to do the tappet shuffle, replace all broken CV boots , and break the dam timing belt cover of course. Thankfully Superformance UK makes a complete one for the cost of replacing just one factory piece. It looks identical too! Belt is gonna stay in for a while next go around. Thanks for the post! You are a legend!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. SPOM13

SPOM13 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2015
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    If you've taken the belt off, I'd replace it, I wouldn't reuse it.

SPOM13 likes this.
  11. SPOM13

SPOM13 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2015

12. SPOM13

SPOM13 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2015
    For sure thanks

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  14. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Awesome! Well done. love it.....we won't know the story until the engine comes out. I say buy a used motor. Plenty out there. Who cars if it cost $15-$30 or even a little more. I say mathmatically and smiles per mile he is the winner. He did not GIVVA F" and that is the best! Cheers to you! Now please make a thread of the carnage, the rebuild and first drive!

SPOM13 likes this.