How many Panteras were converted to targas by the factory? | FerrariChat

How many Panteras were converted to targas by the factory?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, Jul 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I think a shop called Pavesi did them. They also did Stutz Blackhawks and had good workmanship, I am guessing under ten were ordered by DeTomaso. It was never a model distributed to the US as Ford and DeTomaso were on the outs by then. I think Marcello Gandini did the re-do, not Tjaarda and it is called an Si model A site called Pantera InfoPop says they were made from "a GT5-S coupe. I've not had the pleasure of seeing one personally, but I'm told they weigh somewhat more than a std GT5-S due to all the internal bracing necessary to keep the monocoque from flexing without a roof. Roland Jaeckel in Germany had a GT5-S Targa, as did Franz Krump (Pantera SI-Targa)." Love to hear anyone else's opinion. This painting --which I believe to be the only one in the US--I'm taking to Concorso Italiano (tifosi can text me at 213, then 344, then 6496.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

gt4me likes this.
  2. Craig Holcomb

Craig Holcomb Rookie

Jun 10, 2008
    There was a guy back in New York or Jersey that had one for sale. At that time he was asking $250,000, it was the real deal.

3. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Pavesi did the modifications for DeTomaso, on GT5s and Si bodies. There were 17 made, they are unique as the roof panel clips under the rear deck lid they are much stiffer than the regular Pantera. Hall Pantera did one (Purple Passion) and claimed they had to add major stiffening to prevent body flex. There may a couple of one offs as well.