How many use a special wrench for their knock-off wheels? | FerrariChat

How many use a special wrench for their knock-off wheels?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ak Jim, Sep 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #1 Ak Jim, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    Being a fairly new Ferrari owner I took the two front wheels off my car to do some maintenance for the first time the other day. Some how it just didn't seem right to beat the crap out of the spinner with the lead hammer to loosen it. I have seen on web sites the special adaptor to take the spinner off. How many of you guys have one of these, and which one do you have?

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I just pulled all four of my wheels off today. I used a 2 X 2 piece of oak and a ball pien hammer.

3. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    You can get a mallet with a brass head. Brass is quite soft, and shouldn't ding up the ears on the center nut. (Brass also does not produce sparks, which is important if you are doing this kind of thing around flammables!)

4. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    I'm cheaper than you. I use a piece of cheap lumber grade 2x4 and a ball peen hammer. I made a fancy knock-off socket for a 3/4 inch breaker bar, but didn't like it.

Tom Kizer

5. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    i bought a beautiful tool for this from oldtimer tools in germany> big money but worth every euro

gary
    espada

6. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Around 2005, when I had the 330 2+2, a guy named Mike Kumor was selling a solid-bronze wrench attachment that fit over standard swept-eared Borrani knockoffs.

I bought one of these, along with a 3/4" drive torque wrench, and tried it out. All I succeeded in doing was bending part of the bronze attachment and ruining it. This gizmo is now a paperweight on my car-stuff shelf in the garage, and I gave the torque wrench to my friends at Norwood Performance.

The tried and true lead hammer is the way to go. Hendrix wire Wheels sells them; I think I paid about $12 each plus shipping.

The next project I had in mind for the 330 (before it was totaled) was to cut a round 1/8" piece of plywood that would slip over the knockoff and fit inside the wheel rim, thus shielding the spokes from missed blows.

7. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    I have two different adaptor/wrenches but don't use either. Even with a breaker bar the torque required is too much, and a potential slip of the wrench seems far more dangerous to bodywork (and likely) than a carefully aimed hammer.

The best tool by far is a dead-blow mallet, rubber with lead shot inside. The mechanics I know use nothing else. $9 at Harbor Freight. Save the lead hammers for concours display of your tool kit.

8. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    i used to hunt my own food, then came supermarkets. i used to knock off center hub nuts with a mallet, then came special tools. if all you have is a hammer then go for it, just be careful of the fender ( seen a couple of those whacked) but all we use is the correct wrench with a torque multiplier and a long knuckle bar......

9. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    When I had the Boxer, I bought a tool from some company in Ohio. Had a rubber coating to avoid scratching the spinners. I believe it was LightGuy here on FChat that bought it from me, you should ask him.

The few times I used it, I had no problem and was thankful I bought it. I even purchased a two ear unit and gave it to a friend in Ft. Lauderdale that repairs older Ferraris (Tim Stanford) for all of his help.

10. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, I have the same rubber-coated tool, came with my car. You just plug in a breaker bar to a pre-cut hole in the center, and it efficiently transfers the force from your leaning on the bar to the knock-off. When I came out to find a flat tire on my car a few weeks ago, I was very happy I had it. It worked perfectly, and I have heard WAAAAY too many stories of whacked fenders and wheels to take the chance.

Michael

11. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    One should not even change tyres when drunk. Best wishes, Kare

12. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    #12 pauls, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
    I have the same tool. It's works great! They set up a booth in Monterey and sold out. I spoke to the owner and he had no idea that he was going to get so much attention.

13. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Damien ............since when, Please show it to me.

14. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    On my car off is toward the front of the car, It is surprising when you are aggravated that you have just had a flat or blowout, many owners have attempted to remove wheels by tightening them on !
    Little poems don't always apply !
    How many of you carry a good dependable jack in your trunk in addition to the tool being discussed ?

15. SYake

SYake Karting

May 15, 2005
    NoVA
    For my QM with the simple hex center wheel nuts (without ears), I bought a KD truck hub hex socket from NAPA, lined it with duct tape and use a 3/4 inch breaker bar. Works like a champ; no wacking the crap out of the tool case-supplied wrench, while running the risk of hitting the fender.

16. martx-5

martx-5 Rookie

Dec 15, 2006
    Kings Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Art Liefke
    #16 martx-5, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
    Lead will not mar the knock-offs...brass will. I tried brass on my TR3 wires, and it left marks on the chrome, whereas the lead didn't.

Another alternative that has worked well for me is the plastic dead blow hammers. They won't mar the knock-offs, but don't get one too small, or they won't be efficient. I'm using a two pounder and feel that's about as small as you can go.

17. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
  18. mdempsey

mdempsey Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD
    Full Name:
    Mark P. Dempsey
    I also use a piece of oak or treated pine ans wack it with the lead hammer. i figure its harder to miss the oak and hit the wheel or fender that way.

Mark

19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Good point. Last weekend I drove my car out to meet up with the guys on the Going To The Sun Rally. I packed the trunk full with battery charger, extension cord, socket set, folding creeper, gas can, spare oil, 1 spare carburetor, various lengths and diameters of hose. Everything I could use except a trolley jack, knock off hammer, and a spare tire with air in it.
    Thankfully the dude from Rally support had a gas compressor, floor jack, and tools in his truck right next to me.

20. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    that's what we use on the Mondial

21. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I had the same experience with a Thor copper hammer, never tried a deadblow hammer.

It looks like a more refined version of the bronze one I bought.

22. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Ever crossed your mind why lead hammers exist in the first place? Best wishes, Kare

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    #23 VIZSLA, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. w.Hudkins

w.Hudkins Karting

May 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    William Todd Hudkins
    Oh boy....

just hit the darn thing with a lead hammer!

25. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    #25 330gt, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017