How much can I spend on an F12tdf? | FerrariChat

How much can I spend on an F12tdf?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by italiafan, Jun 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How much money in liquid assets should I have to go for it! In USD $$$

1. > 1M

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. > 2M

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. > 5M

22 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. >10M

29 vote(s)
    32.2%
  5. > 20M

12 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. > 30M

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. > 50M

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Okay, weird question and hence the poll.
    I have wondered about this general topic over the years, understanding that there is no “one size fits all” answer (I’m not obtuse...usually).
    But here is the essence of the question I am sure you all have contemplated at one point or another...how much can I “responsibly” spend on a passion, a toy purchase? People don’t usually talk about their financial situation with anyone except close friends, and even then we hedge and act coy, embarrassed ...

So...here are the assumptions: an F12tdf, my dream “holy grail” car...more so than an F40, Enzo, F50,etc....
    Let’s say with taxes it sets me back $900K. Also assume I have zero debt, have all the other “things” in life I enjoy (cars, boats, homes, eduction for kids in separate trust accounts, etc.) already paid for...

How much money in liquid investments would be “sufficient” for you to say, “Dude, you have enough money in the bank, you worked hard, life is short, go for it and no guilt!”
    (I should say I am extremely conservative with my financials, very safety minded....)

More $ than?......see poll.

ZF123 likes this.
  2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Okay I screwed up the poll somehow...I meant for the poll to then have:
    > 5M
    > 10M
    > 20M
    > 30M
    > 50M

(Damn iPad posting screws things up...and now can’t change the thread....ahhhhhhhh)
    Perhaps a Mod would be so kind as to add those poll responses in?

3. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Dude, I say go for it. No need to correct the poll because ultimately it's about how you feel.
    You're fiscally responsible and all your ducks are in a row.
    You've done the back-of-the-envelope calculations and with TDF prices softening I'm presuming it looks like a reasonable purchase.
    I'm guessing you wouldn't be asking the question if it weren't for something other than finances giving you pause.
    You've worked hard. Everything is in order, financially speaking. Life, as you well stated, is unpredictable and, tragically, sometimes short.

You want the TDF?
    You can afford the TDF?
    Get the TDF.

Oh, and please post pics.
    Cheers

LARRYH, Thecadster, day355 and 5 others like this.
  4. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    All your stuff is probably depreciating or will be. Make sure you have hard cash and gold. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying any toys unless I had at least 3 years of personal savings locked in. Cash is a horrible hold when the fed is creating billions in new currency with no end is sight. Cash is depreciating. Be careful assuming your retirement acct is safe. Is it in the market? If it is, what if that completely reverses? Had the fed not gone bonkers in the last 90 days making new money what would have happened to the market? Diversify like never before. Are you income sources dependent on your labor or are they passive? Are your income sources dependent on selling/ servicing the top 5%? (if yes, be very careful. If there is a reset like many are predicting its the top 5% who will see the greatest change to their lifestyles) Are your assets protected via Nevada Spendthrift trusts? Do you have any exposure anywhere? Be uber critical of where you may be weak and fix it....then get the TDF (or whatever).

ZF123, italiafan and Texas Forever like this.
  5. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #5 IPO1, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Your posts on the world is ending are always amusing to me. Like reading CNBC website. Take a deep breath. You still living in Puerto Rico?

However, I will agree US is becoming a crazy place due to some very radical people. Let's hope the sane survive.

Coincid, Shack, Gh21631 and 2 others like this.
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    All great ideas, but nothing beats lowering your overhead. I have seen high overhead take down more individuals and companies than anything else. Lean and mean is the way to go, except when it comes to cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Depends on your age, health and budget. This is unique to everyone. If the cost can be cleared and you still have positive cash flow then get the car. Dreams are important especially in 2020.

italiafan likes this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Agree...T

italiafan likes this.
  10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks all.
    Food for thought.....

11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Poll edited and votes reset. Fresh start.

All the best,
    Andrew.

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks!

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  13. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    #13 09Scuderia, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    I assure you that I hope I am wrong. I hate the idea that things would so radically change for so many. With that said, Google 'reverse wealth effect'.

Hasn't the last 90 days shown that potential? 90 days ago everything was different. 90 days from now why wouldn't there be similar distinct change? There will be. Who could have predicted just 90 days ago all the things that have happened?

With that said, what is the downside for preparing for the worst (all the while hoping for the best)? Zilch. Moving forward, there have always been more fortunes made (like big ones) during times of change. Bigger the change the greater the opportunities provided you are frosty and have the powder.

So, hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. Simple, no?

Asking questions about what your net worth should be to buy (cash) a million-dollar car really isn't that simple. Yes, 10 million in true net worth makes sense. TRUE net worth. Assets minus liabilities. Not the value of your business if all the stars were to align. True net worth. Of course, risk tolerance is an amazingly personal thing with unlimited variables. I am 50 and act in a different manner vs when I was 30. etc etc.

Personally, I am not doing jack until this time next year. WAY too many unpredictable things going on at present.

AND speaking of CNBC: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/12/feds-economic-forecasts-are-all-over-the-map-a-sign-of-how-uncertain-these-times-are.html

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    When I see a comment such as yours I am always reminded by a quote from Warren Buffett: "Don't bet against the United States it's been a BAD BET SINCE 1776!!"

LARRYH, Coincid, Shack and 3 others like this.
  15. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Right there with you, Bruce. Agree with you (and Warren :)

16. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    I am probably in the poorest 10 percent on this site

But I have extremely low overhead and am mostly liquid. Modest house no boats private school vacations or vacation homes. Cheap clothes dont eat out etc.

Time with friends and family is priority. cars are only vice. Wife on board.

I let my car holdings go to 25 percent of net worth. then i get sweaty work my ass off and drop that number down to 15. then reset. NW grows.

This has worked for me.

You sound like you are ready.

LightGuy and Texas Forever like this.
  17. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    You guys must love your spreadsheets!

If that was my dream car, I’d buy it when I could afford the monthly payments...drive it and enjoy life. Next!!!

18. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    That obvious eh

A348W likes this.
  19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'd say with more then $2M one can objectively buy a $1M car - there's still $1M remaining, and that's enough as a cushion to face unexpected situations.
    What one should avoid is to risk a situation where a big asset must be sold, because then the sale is likely to happen in bad conditions.
    Of course some may need more than $1M to feel safe, but I'm not in the same world as they are ;)

20. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    If you can write the check (or more accurately wire the $) and not really notice it, you are good to go. It should seem like a financial non event to you.

Andynyc, stavura, Wikdstrate and 3 others like this.
  21. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I went thru similar pre-purchase calculus. All completely out the window and forgotten after 1st drive.

Do it, you won't regret it. :)

LARRYH, Shack, JagShergill and 7 others like this.
  22. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    10m leaves a nice lifestyle buffer

Eilig likes this.
  23. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I don't understand your point. You already have a garage full of ferraris, you should be perfectly able to determine if you can afford another one. You sound like a guy on the edge of buying his first Ferrari and fearing to make a mistake...

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Understood. Sometimes need to validate that my thinking isn’t warped into an outlier position. It is sometimes easy to talk yourself into something because your heart overrules your head, and other times the head has absurd rules and shuts down the heart.

09Scuderia and dcmetro like this.
  25. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Full of ferraris and one porsche ahah (I checked your list of car again) I didn't want to be rude I was just wondering.