How much of a threat to Ferrari is the new Z06? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How much of a threat to Ferrari is the new Z06?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

True its a great value version, but with one extra feature which tips the balance, you can actually track it. For some of us that puts it to the top of the list.
    Considerign C8s are well built and not like the used tupperware of previous vettes the euros dont have the build quality gig.
    Vettes have always been comparatively reliable.

What ferrari has is maybe more paper performance, styling in spades(c8 is exotic but no Bridget Bardot) and exclusivity.

Do you go for styling at a 200k premium vs ability to track, for me its a no brainer. But then Im meerly well off, if I had the $ space and time would do both cause ferraris are really cool. But for a new car I take the vette over the ferrari if its just one, cause track ability trumps styling and exclusivity means nothing to me.

If I didnt go to the track with my fast cars, then yeah maybe the 296, but even then a Hurricaine is really nice. NA over hybrid.
    For me the question also is would I sell my BBI which is street only for a 296 and the answer is the 286 woudl have to be fun on road in a way modern ferraris have not been since the 355.

VAF84 and DBomb117 like this.
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Agreed on styling. The vette is stylisticaly rough around the edges. past of the issue though is the Gm edict it must carry two sets of golf bags(big ass) and the need for its main current demographic(60+ boomers) to have enough ease of exit and entry. That necessitated small sills which in a ME car means a corrosponding giant centre tunnel. Thats the type of compromise we don't see in ferrari or Mclaren, on maclarens the CXF tub and relatively big sills means the driver and passenger are bot situated as close as possible tot he centre, which is most ideal. The vette also weights a lot although thats somewhat irrelevant for street.

The interior once you actualy sit in it is pretty inspired. The way the dash wraps round which looks so bad in pictures, in the flesh the driver has the feeling of being in somethign more like a single seater, which is a great visual workaround for all that wdth by puttign the passenger on the other side. The big ass is behind so you dont see that either from the cockpit. Its one of the very few cars where the cockpit experience is better than one expects and matches the sense of what the car is trying to convey. But yes stylisticaly and size wise its nowhere near what ferrari does.

VAF84 and Alex308qv like this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Ferraris of similar prices will be cross shopped and some will opt for the newer C8. Of course Ferrari corporate won’t care about that.

There won’t be any cross shopping between new cars though. Guys who can qualify for and buy a new Ferrari could buy a C8 with couch cushion change.

dpw98 likes this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Actually, the quote was "aerodynamics are for people that don't know how to build engines"

LordVennFF, Tech Nerd and 96redLT4 like this.
  5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Significant…

6. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You are quite right!. I stand corrected.

jm2 likes this.
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    NO threat. zero. zilch. nada. zip. Ferrari sells ALL the cars it builds. period. sooo, until that changes ......

paulchua likes this.
  8. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    Don’t misunderstand me, it’s a great car at a great price point. I’m just saying they could have picked a better color to parade it around in. The C8R yellow or standard red would have gone a long way to make it look like more of a premium product.

Someone said it looks like a ryobi tool in the highlighter yellow and I can’t unsee it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    There will be backlog at the beginning, but in 2 years they will be begging for people to buy at $10k under sticker just like every vette at the middle of the cycle.

10. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Uhh…it’s already been 2 yrs since the base C8 was introduced. Is GM begging for people to “buy it for $10K under sticker?” :eek:

technom3, one4torque and BJK like this.
  11. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I’m talking about normal circumstances. You and I know that COVID is the reason that they are not meeting rate.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    ryobi lol

I see your point, to me it’s just going for outrageous like an aventador which imo is it’s soul brother

technom3 likes this.
  13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Oh just wait gm is just getting started on this platform…. I see a real performance price point neck wringing coming.

now it will not replace my old quirky f car… but that is an emotional choice not a cost performance choice

Now if gm could get pininfarina involved end of story!

nmcclure and VAF84 like this.
  14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    How much of a threat to Ferrari is the new Z06?

For decades Ferrari has sold their cars at full monroney. Do you seriously think they will have to discount them to compete with a Corvette?????????? :rolleyes:

And no offense to a Corvette. I think GM has made a very, very nice car.

15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I would buy a new z06 over a 10 yr old 458…. I’m sure I’m not the only one looking at that analysis!

Boomhauer, darkkaangel, VAF84 and 3 others like this.
  16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I plan to buy a Z06 It will be an incredible car .. I do not see any new Ferrari that is remotely comparable .. Ferrari has lost its sound with the turbos and I think a lot of buyers will go Z06 how many would have bought a Ferrari I doubt many cause Ferrari is going somewhere else just not sure where....

17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    of course not they will not sell many V8 NA mid engine cars either

18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Ferrari has lost its way…

tbakowsky and LARRYH like this.
  19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They lost it as soon as they went public..then they introduced the 2010 California with an infotainment system ripped right out of a dodge caravan..

Flea7 and tantumaude like this.
  20. G8TD

G8TD Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It's not an issue of selling your Ferrari to buy a Z06 or buying a Z06 instead of a Ferrari. I would dare to say that virtually every owner here has multiple vehicles. I would also guess that the majority of owners here are "car guys" and have love for more than just Ferrari. I love Ferrari. I love the passion. I love the heritage. If I could only own one sports car, it would have a prancing horse on the hood (unless it was a Dino ).

With that said, I'm ordering a C8 Z06. I don't care if it doesn't appreciate. I don't care if it's a "normal guy" car. I think it will be fun!

I know of three other guys so far in my local FCA chapter that are also getting in line. All of them have multiple Ferraris.

Just because you can afford Wagyu doesn't mean you can't appreciate a great big, greasy cheeseburger (with fries and a chocolate shake)

casryk, EnzoItaly, ggjjr and 9 others like this.
  21. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Ever consider that was the intent of GM. Bringing an overpriced Corvair against an iconic nameplate as Ferrari is similar to that of Ford and the GT. At least Ford maintained a standard in the premium car category. The Corvette is a nice vehicle, but its price tag while attractive isn't going to sway a premium buyer. It will bring many Mustang/Camaro buyers into the mix. At the current pricing, it offers a greater value than the formentioned over hyped pony cars.

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    See, I don't agree with that. Sure Ferrari is not perfect, but the list of bankruptcies/failures is littered with companies that did not, or could not, adapt to change.

I hate that there will only be EV's in the future (that's why I'm hanging onto my two V12's), but the change is inevitable, so you either adapt or perish.

technom3, dpw98 and stretchgeneral like this.
  23. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    well said

italiafan likes this.
  24. Nafiz Ali Khan

Nafiz Ali Khan Karting

Jul 19, 2006
    Phoenix
    If Chevy starts making $500k-1MM cars like Ford GT, then there might be some competition.

25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    chevy is building a car you can drive anywhere anytime. even in the rain.
    this isnt an either/or, its ill have one of each( ferrari and z06).