How offensive are special edition clone body kits? | FerrariChat

How offensive are special edition clone body kits?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Dec 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How offensive are special edition clone kits?

1. They are sold to poseurs to create a false impression

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. There's nothing wrong as long as owners don't pretend otherwise

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Maybe some cloners are up front, but most I've seen were frauds

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. They are homages to the actual special edition

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. If someone likes the special edition so much, then they should pony up

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  6. Clone kits bastardize an original car that has its own merits

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  7. An owner should be able to do whatever they want

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  8. Clones get "look-alikes" on the road, that would otherwise not be seen

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Other (post to clarify) ...

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I'm seeing quite a few companies selling Pista body kits for the 488.

How does the Ferrari community feel about cars being upgraded with special edition appearance packages? If somebody just liked the 599 GTO's look better than stock and swapped out those body panels, would that make them a pariah?

It got me thinking about the Daytona. I have heard that there are more chopped spiders than real ones (122 original convertibles). Now people are converting F1 599s to manual (30 original stick shifts).

Do these inauthentic mods violate the Ferrari bro code, or do you feel like people should be able to do what they want with the car they bought?

elephantgrinds likes this.
  2. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
  3. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
  4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I dont mind body kits in general, but a body kit that mimics the style of a higher level model is really the sign of some deep insecurities.

Bullfighter, Shorn355, Bryanp and 7 others like this.
  5. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed

I see your point on a certain level.

However, some of the short-production cars just look better. Are you going to buy a million dollar 599 GTO just to get the cooler looking rear valance? Now you own a car you can't drive.

It seems to me that intent matters. If they INTEND to fake owning a 599 GTO, then yeah you've got a point. But if you swap body panels for aesthetic reasons, I don't think it's the same thing.

Times, galt and anunakki like this.
  6. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If one is swapping just one piece then I can see that. But if one is swapping everything then that feels like insecurity to me.

Plenty of other body pieces available for a custom look.

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hey, you are only on this earth for maybe 100 years (if you're lucky). Are you going to give 2 craps about how others like how you dress, or what your house looks like, or the woman you marry, or least of all, the Ferrari you drive? Good grief!

8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Like a 250 GTE becoming a California? Or just a 308/F40/fiero?

Where's the bodykit/replica line?

sjd

9. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Eh most people are fake so it shouldn't be surprising that they like fake things, just a natural extension of their personality.

AtomicPunk88, Doug., Viperjoe and 3 others like this.
  10. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    This is a "real" Mondial...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is a "fake" Daytona Spider (converted from coupe)...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I can only speak for myself, but this would be an easy decision to make, given the choice between the two.

"Authenticity" matters if you're buying a car to park it. Quite a bit less if you intend to actually drive the thing.

11. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Well since you asked. Having saved a 250GTE from becoming something else and having owned a number of other 60's and 70's Ferraris, I can state in my opinion that those should be left alone...period. However, with the production numbers of today, values will likely never increase to levels of the Enzo Era cars. In any case it's your car, do whatever you want with it. As my grandmother used to say "If you knew how much time other people spent thinking about you, you wouldn't give a **** about what other people think".
    On another note, I cannot understand the attraction to a fake anything, cars, watches, art or anything else. If you can afford it, buy it. Otherwise why bother ? Unless it's to feed something lacking in one's personality or ego ?
    I simply don't get it.

12. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    The question is about aesthetics, not affordability.

You're not going to daily a million dollar car. That would be senseless. But if you like the look of the 599 GTO better than the GTB why not change it?

One of my big beefs with Ferrari is that they make their cars UNDRIVEABLE. Selling some of their best looking cars with the expressed intent of making them million dollar showpieces that will never be used.

The status of owning an SA Aperta over a GTB is important to most in this community. These cars are not actual vehicles, but museum pieces that are only to be looked at and driven once per year. And that sucks, because the best looking versions of the car become useless.

elephantgrinds and AREDSTALLION like this.
  13. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Wrong. There are so many great looking driveable cars out there for any taste now that will satiate the desire without resorting to a hack job.

You're contradicting yourself, but getting at the real driver behind a fake: what other people think.

The problem is for people who actually care about a certain type of car, there is zero "status" associated with owning a fake. For people who don't care, they might as well be the same car.

paulchua likes this.
  14. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed

You misunderstand me completely.

Where I come from, muscle cars, customization and cloning is not really frowned upon. You turn a Cutlass into a 442, or a 289 Mustang into a GT500, nobody cares. People don't do it to CLAIM CLOUT, they do it because those cars LOOK COOL. You've seen a bunch of Shelby 427 Cobras, but damn near all of them are kit cars. And in the muscle car world, nobody cares. A cool car is a cool car whether it's authentic or not.

I knew this community was pretty judgemental, which is why I asked the question. The answers have been enlightening.

brookliner7 and AREDSTALLION like this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

What’s offensive is how inaccurate that looks.

paulchua and Doug. like this.
  16. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Well maybe you don't care but there are many in that world that do indeed care. While it's true that the clone world is far more common in regard to muscle cars. However, I can tell you that people care when someone tries to pawn off a clone as real. To give you an example, I owned a 65 1/2 Shelby GT350 which is known as a 'cross over' car because of a combination of 65 and 66 attributes. Whenever I showed it, the comments it attracted regarding correctness first annoyed me then made me laugh. People who knew a little pointing out 'incorrectness' because the tach was in the 'wrong' spot or the rear window louvers were missing and so on. I'm with you, it's your car do what you want. But if you think that people don't care or judge you are incorrect. It doesn't matter if it's the Ferrari world, muscle cars or any other automotive genre.

paulchua, steved033 and Dewinator like this.
  17. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    One last thing. As long as you keep the original parts and store them properly, no harm, no foul. You or the next owner can the choose to return it to stock configuration if desired.

18. RSQP

RSQP F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Beaker
    It doesn’t make them a pariah.
    It makes them a fake.

I’d rather be a pariah.

paulchua, Viperjoe and Dewinator like this.
  19. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    If you don't like the 488 GTB styling, just get an F8, the design language has a lot of similarities to the Pista (and I think looks even better).

paulchua and Viperjoe like this.
  20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    One or two pieces is fine IMO but if they try to duplicate a different model entirely I agree with Jerry.

I had a young guy in my neighborhood who had a fake F40. I mean it was painfully obvious. It even had a fake "chrome" engine under the rear glass. Guy used to drive it around like he was King ****. One day I saw him and asked if it was real (as a test) to which he replied "yes!". The next day I made sure to drive a real F40 I had at the time by his place when he was outside.

I pulled up at his house and told him I liked his so much I got one too. :) The look on his face was priceless!

ross, PureEuroM3, paulchua and 9 others like this.
  21. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its just chit chat. I would hope no one actually cares

Nospinzone likes this.
  22. Concretecomet

Concretecomet Karting

Oct 10, 2021
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’ll keep my F car 100% stock, that being said, I really don’t think there is any ego problem with an owner that wants to change, improve or copy his car into something else, to me the real people with the ego problems are those with the originals that are bitting their nails that someone else may get mistaken for a “real” car like theirs...

Times, paulchua, veelangs and 2 others like this.
  23. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I would never defend this.

Every dude I've known who's had a clone (the best looking RS/SS Camaro I've ever seen was a clone) has been totally up front about it. Hell, the clone guys tend to brag about it. You can drive a clone. You're not going to daily a half million dollar numbers matching original. THAT WOULD BE STUPID.

And this is the point I was trying to make. You can't daily an original Daytona Spyder or a TDF. You'd be insane to do so. But building a clone gives you the opportunity to ACTUALLY DRIVE the best styled cars.

The purpose of cloning is not to trick people. It's to have cars that can actually be driven without destroying their value.

24. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    This thread is misleading. The OP started with a question in the thread title and original post, but it's become apparent he's defending a position not asking for opinions.

In the spirit of the thread title, I've added a multi-choice poll so that users can post their actual opinion rather than getting into a debate they may not want to get into by being disputed as soon as they post. If I've missed a major sentiment, that can be added.

25. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Not true, and this is a misrepresentation of what I've posted.

I asked for opinions about one thing, and got straw man responses about another.

I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT FAKING. Not once, ever.

Most of the responses in this thread have been about people faking special editions. That's NOT what the question was about. The question was about making driveable versions of special editions because you're not going to wreck the value of a real one. This is a quite common practice in the muscle car community.

You clearly made up your mind about what I said without actually reading what I said, or the responses.

Also, your poll is misleading because it doesn't mention building driveable clones to preserve the value of undrivable special editions.