How offensive are special edition clone body kits? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How offensive are special edition clone body kits?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Dec 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How offensive are special edition clone kits?

1. They are sold to poseurs to create a false impression

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. There's nothing wrong as long as owners don't pretend otherwise

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Maybe some cloners are up front, but most I've seen were frauds

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. They are homages to the actual special edition

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. If someone likes the special edition so much, then they should pony up

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  6. Clone kits bastardize an original car that has its own merits

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  7. An owner should be able to do whatever they want

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  8. Clones get "look-alikes" on the road, that would otherwise not be seen

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Other (post to clarify) ...

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I tried to make sure that every pro had an anti or vice versa, but I didn't pretend that I could think of everything.

Added: Clones get "look-alikes" on the road, that would otherwise not be seen

2. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Gotcha. You used a 458 Speciale and 599 GTO as an example. IMO I’d drive the hell out of those cars. It’s not like it’s a 250 GTO or 59 TR.

I would say most people do a clone because they can’t swing the real deal. The guys that own the real cars that I’ve know drive them. The collector I used to work for had a Daytona coupe and spider. We drove them weekly. One of my jobs was to do a “long” route once a month. Most of the big vintage guys drive their cars. Having them sit is the worst thing for them.

FWIW I have no problem with clones as long as they aren’t badged or passed off as the original. In fact if I could get a well done P3/4 clone I’d drive it daily. I’d also love a well sorted GT40. :)

*forgot to add I’m building a 59TR replica/clone whatever you want to call it for a daily and track car. It won’t be badged even though it has a Ferrari chassis and V12.

ross, paulchua and Golden Steed like this.
  3. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Agreed.

And I will reiterate for the cheap seats: ANYONE PASSING OFF A CLONE AS REAL IS WRONG. PERIOD.

HotShoe likes this.
  4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Actually, you've been all over the place with your question and points. You only brought up the "preserve the value of the real cars" in the post just before my post about adding a poll, not at the start of the thread. What you started with was:

This was the original question, do clone kits violate some Ferrari enthusiast ethic or not.

Then the question posed transitioned into a position. Liking another model's esthetics is a good reason to support clones.

Then the transition to a position became yelling (bold and red font) with even more affirmation of clones being about esthetics.

Now accusing the community of being judgemental for answering your question, even though your first post was asking "Do these inauthentic mods violate the Ferrari bro code?"

More yelling followed by a further transition to a new argument that clones enable not adding miles to special cars.

Whether you specifically brought up anything about faking or not, there are many who think that clones only or mostly exist for fakers. That's why it was brought up in the discussion. You can disagree with that, but it's not going to be excluded from the discussion because you say it should.

It appears that you're primarily focused on esthetics and preserving value. Other users may be focused on performance and handling and are consequently disdainful of clone kits that are skin deep. Others are perfectly fine putting plenty of miles on $500K cars and wouldn't care about the value you're arguing some owners seek to preserve.

paulchua and veelangs like this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    How come you never add polls to my threads? I just get banned. Everybody hates me. Guess I'll go eat flies.

Bryanp, ebobh15, energy88 and 2 others like this.
  6. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Because you tend to make assertions rather than ask questions? :cool:

Anyway, when was the last time I banned you? I just searched and I can't even find one instance. :eek:

paulchua and Texas Forever like this.
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Picky, picky, picky.

8. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I was not "yelling"

I was...

...emphasizing. :D

And I'll concede this point. My original post was indeed lacking context.

So your point there is taken.

9. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    It's alright. I'm the only person who bothered to vote...:cool:

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'll go vote. Early and often.

11. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

In response to the OP’s question….. “Sacrilege”.

paulchua likes this.
  12. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I always heard it as "...Everybody hates me. Guess I'll go eat worms."

Poll: TF should go eat
    - Flies
    - Worms
    - Other​

:p

Bryanp, JHNurse and Texas Forever like this.
  13. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Since I've always liked TexF, I'd say he should go eat chocolate covered strawberries.

They're pretty tasty.

14. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I must vehemently dispute your post. I have no idea what my 1967 330 GTC (daily driver) is worth but it is a matching numbers original. There is absolutely NOTHING stupid about using a Daytona Spyder or TDF as a daily driver if the owner decides to do so. Nor do I consider myself stupid for driving my GTC.
    I've owned the car since November of 1975 and the personal pleasure it's given me is immeasurable. And yes, I use it for regular errands - post office, shopping, dining, camping and trips to Lowes for lumber.
    But, in your defense, please tell me why I'm INSANE for doing with my car as I please.
    And avoid the "you can't".

Awaiting your response, Bob Z.

15. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    Almost 2000 miles on my 599 GTO this year.

Viperjoe likes this.
  16. Concretecomet

Concretecomet Karting

Oct 10, 2021
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    lol! Boy peoples butt holes sure get hurt easy here! Why does anyone care what someone else does with there car? Driving habits, modifications etc.... everyone is different

kes7u and Golden Steed like this.
  17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Some are purists and don't like cars changing identities. Some are owners that played the game to buy into LEs. They may not appreciate the line cutters inventing something they were not offered. Most don't care one way or the other. The 599GTO crowd were very unhappy when a couple folks created copies from the GTB especially if it included the badge.

18. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    It's your car, and you can do what you want.

When I was doing the muscle car thing, I had a Bandit Trans Am. It was never going to be worth anything, but I put a bunch of money into it anyway because I loved it. The guys I knew who had real valuable cars didn't drive them. They took them to meets, and parked them most of the time to preserve them. Maybe a fun cruise now and then.

I'm not here to tell anyone what THEY should do with THEIR car. But if someone bought a million dollar SA Aperta or Pista and drove it daily I'd think they were insane. I would never want the responsibility of wrecking a piece of automotive history. All it takes is for someone to not check their mirror, slam into you, and that 1 of 60 or 100 or whatever is gone forever. Better to build a clone, thrash it within an inch of it's life, and feel no guilt about destroying the thing.

Having said that. If you want to ride your Shelby until it dies, then eat it Indian style: do it. It's your car.

But I wouldn't.

19. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I want a mid-engine track car. In my opinion, track cars should be cheap and disposable.

One of the options I am considering is a Pontiac Fiero. To learn a little about them, I attended a Fiero Club meeting. I parked my red 308 among all the gathered red Fieros. A few new arrivals walked up. I overheard, "Oh cool. A Fiero Mera! [The Fiero with GM factory 308 body kit.] I've never seen one before! It is beautiful!!! What great lines! Oh, wait, .. it’s a real Ferrari. Darn it." My real 308 was a disappointment to them. It was the first time I had ever heard dejection regarding my car.

It’s amazing just how different peoples’ values are. We may call the guy with the F40 body kit car “ delusional” just as we may be “offended” by someone adding Pista parts to a plain 488 but why should they care? Why should we care?

I don’t know if I’ll buy a Fiero or not – particularly when the answer to every track car question really is “Miata” – but all cars are consumer products built for marketability and with little regard for the future. As long as there is one stock 488 or Fiero preserved in a museum somewhere we will not forget what they were like. All the rest are available to do whatever we want with them.

paulchua likes this.
  20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Must be the college professor in me. My wife tells me my tone of voice is, "As any fool can plainly see, I'm right, and you are wrong."

I don't agree with her.

italiafan likes this.
  21. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    That is most husbands, if we're being honest.

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    A Ferrari can be a beautiful car. But, at the end of the day, they are still cars. I don't get emotionally attached to a machine. I love to drive them. I love to look at them, but I also like ice cream and sunsets.

It's your car do what you want to do. Be aware, however, you will hurt its value. I learned a long time ago to look for originality in used sport cars. Any modifications makes me suspicious. It doesn't mean I won't buy the car, but I will need to understand what was done.

paulchua likes this.
  23. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    This is why I'm such a proponent of cloning. It allows people to daily special edition type cars without wrecking the value of the real cars.

24. Concretecomet

Concretecomet Karting

Oct 10, 2021
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, and even if your not worried about adding miles, mabey you can’t and never will be able to afford a certain car, but you could clone one and enjoy that. I don’t see a problem with someone that has the ability and drive to “do it yourself” and build something they otherwise can’t afford. I respect anyone that can do that

paulchua and Texas Forever like this.
  25. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    You must love Ken Imhoff...