How Often Do Older Ferraris Need To Be Driven? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

How Often Do Older Ferraris Need To Be Driven?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F355 Fan 82, Mar 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bnels2348

bnels2348 Karting

Jul 26, 2006
    South Valley, UT
    Full Name:
    B
    I tend to believe 1-16 mile drive is better that 2 -8 mile drives. I also believe that rates will skyrocket in 2020 and my kids will have social security. Enjoy your car as you wish. Remember there are millions of people that wish they had two exotics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Your original post aside, you do realize that you come across as a total ******-bag right??

LorenzoOO likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The OP asked a fair question, and had some awesome responses, but also some that were critical of his driving and ownership choices. I personally can see why the OP would take umbrage for folks calling out his usage (or lack thereof). I agree he could have been more diplomatic and not call one person ignorant.

That said, different strokes for different folks. Some people buy cars and keep them as collector pieces and hardly drive them. I do believe that it gives them enjoyment as well.

In the end, it's not my money, not my car, not my garage space., It does not diminish in any way my enjoyment or my own racking up miles. So to the OP: you do you.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  4. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City

I agree. I spoke to the OP via PM and he sounds like a nice guy who got caught up in the madness of FChat...he did put his foot in his mouth a few times BUT he was himself attacked by a few members here...myself included;)

FWIW: everyone should do whatever that they want to do with their own cars...really, who cares?

NE550 and paulchua like this.
  5. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Does anyone really care what he does? The point is, he still needs to drive the cars longer than he is. Drop to once a week and double the time. That would be better.

Formula Uno likes this.
  6. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #81 F355 Fan 82, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Exactly on point paul. People don't have any say in what people do with their money. If a person wants to spend $500k and not drive a single mile, thats ok, there is no rule these cars have to be driven. Lots of people buy cars and tuck them away bc they just love to look at them like artwork, many sculptures are worth millions and these cars are beautiful enough to merit that. With that said, I am not that guy my SLR has 10k miles on it and my 575 has 20k miles on it, they're not collector pieces. Rare cars, yes, but collector pieces no. Did I buy them for the financial aspect? Yes/No. I paid $185k for the SLR 3 years and its probably appreciated since then but at the same time I probably spent $50k servicing the car so overall my experience has been probably a net of $0 if I were to sell the car today. Is that a big thing for me? Sure it is bc I don't want to lose $100k just to have a new car for a few thousand miles, other guys on this site say they don't care about miles or money but I won't lie, I do. I do alot. So for me the 2 cars I bought, yes I bought them bc I love cars but at the same time I bought them bc Im hoping to not only not lose a fortune on them, but to hopefully hold steady in the meantime and potentially see some appreciation over a decade. I could have just bought a new aventador for the same money and lost $300k over a decade, but thats just not me.

With that said, most of these exotic cars have low miles bc most owners have multiple cars and probably a demanding job, a family, etc. I am married with no kids, but I do work alot, and in my free time I spend it with my wife and our friends. Most people get most of their driving on a commute to work/dinner/etc, but I walk 2 blocks to work and if any of you have been to south beach, its a 30 block enclave from 1st st to around 30th or so, most people here just walk everywhere bc 1) its easier to do than $40-$100 valet parking for an exotic and 2) the weather is frankly perfect 95% of the time. So while most exotic car owners work up there car driving to dinner a couple nights a week, or maybe driving it to the office I have to literally go out of my way so to speak to just "drive". Don't get me wrong I absolutely love love love driving but when you live in a major metropolitan city pretty much anytime you get on the road after 8 am and before say midnight, you're going to basically be just sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. That's not what the 575 nor the SLR was designed for. So like I said, when Im up super early and have nothing to do I take the cars for a quick, scenic spin along the water on a famous long bridge( the macarthur causeway) and I return to my condo. Believe me I would love to be one of those guys who has a 30 mile commute each way but I just don't.

So all I was simply asking was, what is enough "driving". Obviously many cars go years with no mileage, there's a testarossa for sale on ebay with 500 miles over 30 years. I just know that with any machine, if you don't use it, there will be issues and I learned alot that your average car owner would not know. I thought as long as the car warms up for 5-6 minutes and then I take it for a spin, run it through the gears and come home that would be ok. Others chimed in and told me why thats wrong. I now learned something new. I think Fchat is a cool place, but lots of judgmental people telling others what to do with their cars is just silly. People can't make snarky comments and not expect people to fire back.

Formula Uno likes this.
  7. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    And thats exactly all I was asking in my original post before everyone interjected with their snarky opinions......

Formula Uno likes this.
  8. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    In everyone's defense, you put forth as one of your reasons for not driving more that you wanted to keep mileage low because of value. That's where people take issue. If it's about investment value, then a battery tender and no driving is better.

Maybe you should stick around and see exactly how many people come in here trying to get advice on buying an exotic to flip and make money and then you'd know why we have little patience for that kind of thinking.

I also stated before that I work from home, so no commute, but a regular work week for me is 80-100 hours. I have three exotics that I need to drive and two other vehicles that need driving as well. I only drive the exotics to drive. So when I go out, I make sure I have an hour to devote to that particular car. As long as weather permits, it's at least once a week. When I live in another state half the year, it's once a month, BUT for a minimum of an hour. And that's a lot of interstate driving, not 35 mph in a city with a bunch of stopping.

Blitz88, LorenzoOO and Formula Uno like this.
  9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    F355Fan82 - I'll drop my snark, and offer a thought that perhaps you haven't considered. Look into joining a local car club in your area. I'm sure there are several, each with different types of members, cars, and activities. Some of them plan tours on a regular basis - say, a group ride to a historic location or some other interesting place. Or a group dinner an hour or two from home. Local Cars & Coffee can also get you out of the house to a destination with a reason to take the 575.

It's a nice way to meet other car enthusiasts, and gets your cars out the garage and on the road where we enjoy them most.

So, perhaps give that a shot.