How to do a major | FerrariChat

How to do a major

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Dec 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #1 vincenzo, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Drop motor
    disassemble
    carefully paint marks all over the timing belts, then remove
    stop filming
    replace belts ‘wherever’
    restart filming
    pretty red paint on the valve covers (lipstick on a pig?)
    reassemble
    charge 12k

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Don’t you just love ‘professional’ work by clueless techs?

No slam intended for the true professionals. They are worth every penney they charge.

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    at 6:20 I stopped watching before wasting more time :(

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    check out the size of that torque wrench to tighten the cam covers down..... for what... five or so ft lbs?

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    No fender covers... really?

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Only saw 2 things wrong..first off, turn the heat on in the shop. Second, remove that car from the shop.

schwoo, Testarossa Sean and vincenzo like this.
  7. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I'd love to learn more about this process. If any of you folks could point out errors or oversights shown in the video, Id appreciate it.

Thanks,
    - Sam in Saratoga

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Marking up the belts is a newbie waste of time. Been there, done that.

The entire process of setting the cam timing was totally cut from the video. The only part of a Major that requires any true technical skill is the cam timing - the rest is all nuts and bolts. Detailed, finniky, fragile nuts and bolts.

If you type 83958 in the search engine, you can follow my efforts on a Major. Like I say, setting the cams correctly is a bit of a brain teaser. It requires a lot of care, thought and patience. A ‘low IQ’, time pressed, inexperienced tech will screw it up in a big way.

turbo-joe and xplodee like this.
  9. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Don’t forget the water pump. That was the worst part. Reading threads about folks doing it 3 times and it still leaked...

Realistically, timing the cams was worthless. Unless the car runs poorly, it’s likely spot on... checking valve clearance was more useful, though almost every valve was in spec.

Next time, I think I will just change the belts and tensioner sand call it good...

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Agreed. Testarossa pump seals are a miserable design. All the different versions of the seal/impeller are a confused mess. But hopefully a hydrotest will catch a bad seal or install before the engine goes back in.

I disagree on setting cam timing. It MUST be checked if the cam pulleys come off for a new seal. If they don’t come off, it is still highly recommended to double check with a degree wheel.

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I agree about cam timing but not waterpumps.

I have never considered pressure testing a waterpump a good use of time. Never done it, see no reason.

Shop is a dump. I wouldn't bring a Yugo to a place like that. Cannot even spell "Major". Just who I'd use.

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Yes - but your years of experience have taught you the ‘secret’ seal that seems to work better than those which Ferrari specs for the Testarossa.

;-)

13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I think you guy's missed the fact that this is not a "Major" service...........it is a "Mojor" service!!!!!!!!!!

14. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
  15. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    From the threads I read, many folks had leaks 100 miles after the major, not right away. Would a pressure test show that? I always thought perhaps the waterseal wasn't put in square and the friction parts wore unevenly??? You can pressure test it with air... put does that mean it wont leak?

This thread is bringing back bad memories... ;)

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Just use factory seals installed correctly. I didn't have years of experience the first time and it didn't leak. I was shop foreman for what was at the time the biggest dealer in the world and no one in the shop was having trouble with leaks. I don't understand the issue but I can guarantee you if I saw what was being done I could identify a problem while it was being done.

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Pretty hard seeing air leak out. Air being compressible and with the internal volume as big as it is it would take forever to know if there was a small leak using air.

turbo-joe likes this.
  18. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I see that there are two camps: replace the WP seals and dont replace the WP seals.

To someone who believes they should be replaced:

If there are no signs of leakage, what is the advantage to replace them? Is leakage difficult to identify?

19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Sure wish I could spend a few days in your shop to learn your techniques. It would be a great time for a diy guy!