How to get rid of mildew smell | FerrariChat

How to get rid of mildew smell

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by yelcab, Dec 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am working on a old car that sat for five years in a garage for five years in San Francisco. As you know, SF is a damp city with lots of days of fog. The car sat under a plastic cover that … traps moisture inside the car. The result is there is mold on every leather and plastic surface of the car. There is probably mold in the carpeting too but you can't see it.

I have wiped off the moldy stuff with vinegar solution, dried it out, rolled down the windows for a couple days now and still smell moldy when I sit in it.

What to do?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    First clean everything with vingear and wet vac ..remove seats to get underneath

Then out in direct sunlight or a dehumidifed garage ..use cat litter or baking soda as well

Once very dry interior use a ion generator to clean the remaining air

Use mask of course

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    I recently had a similar problem with a newly acquired 308. I recommend trying a product called Puroclenz. I suggest buying two standard tablets and giving your car two treatments.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    That should have read ozone generator not ion but be aware of how to use and any health concerns

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    +1 for the ozone generator, but I don’t think you can buy them in California

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    To me, adding moisture to mold is like fuel to a fire... but would steam cleaning do the trick?

7. Kainedogg

Kainedogg Rookie

Jan 5, 2008
    ALDIE, VA
    I've had great success using a diluted mixture of water & peroxide on certain surfaces. Very effective on cloth material for killing the bacteria.

8. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had this happen on a friend's car (unfortunately my fault). The dealer used some kind of mild bleach solution and a citrus solution. Not sure if that helps but there is no mold and it doesn't smell like it either.

9. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I had a similar issue with a car's carpeting - I pulled it out and power washed it with Odo-Ban & Tea Tree Oil & let it dry in the sun for a couple of weeks. No more odor.

10. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Will take mold issues any day of the week over having field mice take up residence. Purchased a very nice original Datsun 280Z that I thought would be a fun project but let it sit for about a month outside the shop next to the field. Little bastards found a small area of the center driveshaft tunnel that they could get in to. Never smelled something so rancid in all my life. Ended up tearing the carpet out all the interior panels and finally just gave the damn thing away.

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Mold is health hazard be careful

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    308 milano likes this.
  13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Once it's in the leather it's next to impossible to get out. Been trying on a car for years with every commercial product I could find, home made remedies and an ozone generator.

I can get so it doesn't smell too much but if you spend any time in the car any clothing in contact with the leather absorbs the odor.

Good luck.

Nice speedster.

14. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro