How to remove 246 rear brake disc? | FerrariChat

How to remove 246 rear brake disc?

Discussion in '206/246' started by 246er, Sep 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Hi all, I'm overhauling my brake calipers and fitting stainless pistons and liners. 3 out of 4 of the discs are fine but one rear is pitted and I would like to take the opportunity to replace it.

I can't see how it removes though so if anyone can assist I would be grateful.

Thanks!
    Chris.

2. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn

Chris- If you are installing new "pistons" in your calipers then I assume you have already removed the rear caliper. Now unscrew the two cad plated wheel alignment studs on the front face of the disk between the threaded lug bolt holes. These two alignment studs secure the disk to the hub as well as assure that the disk lug bolt holes are aligned with the threaded lug holes in the hub.

3. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Mark, that's great! Many thanks,
    Chris.

4. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn

Glad to help Chris--- just happened to be also working on my rear calipers- adjusting the pads for the .004 clearance.

5. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Ah, looks like I need advice on this 4thou clearance too! I looked in the handbook in the changing pads section but could see nothing there. Can you kindly let me have some details please Mark, as I am also renewing the pistons and seals in the calipers.
    Thanks and kind regards,
    Chris.

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Mark, what is this 4thou?

Regards, Alberto

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    .004" is the clearance that you adjust between the brake pads and rotors for the parking brake mechanism.

8. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    I checked this question yesterday with the calliper refurbishers. They say the pistons should be moved into correct position via the adjusters on the outside of each pot, until they are just "kissing" the disc. (From Mark and Motob's posts above seems that the correct Ferrari spec is 4 thou clearance).
    They say a most important point is to connect up the handbrake cables BEFORE you bleed the brakes, otherwise you can find the pistons get disconnected inside the pot from the handbrake mechanism.

9. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Sorry, for clarity, above should read "pads should be moved into correct position by moving the pistons via the adjusters on the outside of each pot, until the pads are just "kissing the disc."

(Or go for the 4 thou!).