348 - How to remove control arm bushings???? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 How to remove control arm bushings????

Discussion in '348/355' started by aballas, Mar 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #26 348Jeff, Nov 11, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    Youv'e hit the nail on the head there - theres no way to support teh curved arm as teh rim of the "top hat' of teh bush is on the inside. A shop actually bent my arm and ruined it trying to press my bush out with proper support :-(

Here's how I did it in the end...

After burning the rubber part of and hacksawing of the thinner end put the arm in a vice to hold it steady.

Using a nice new hacksaw gentle cut the rim of the top hat off. The trick is to cut it enough so it exposes the arm underneath but so far enough so you can pull the rim lip away.

Keep repeating the process so you have cut all the lip away (I seem to remember somewhere suggesting you could grind teh lip off but I dont trust myself to do that without damaging the arm).

You should end up being able to put a socket or cup on that will recieve teh pushed out bush lining.

I was using a vice (now have a press) so I ended up putting a coupel of relief cuts in that I then chissled out a small strip which made it far easier to press out.

You can just use a suitably sized socket (or piece of steel pipe) but I paid a local machine shop to machine me a sold piece of steel which matched the inside diameter of teh arm so I had something solid to press out the bush.

Video of bush removal

Video of Bush installation - bit basic but proves it can be done with just a vice and brute strength!!

Attached Files:

SPOM13 likes this.
  2. SPOM13

SPOM13 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2015
    wow excellent! off to work I go! Thanks so much!

3. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Take some pics and post them up as you do it so you can add to the knowledgebase :)

Buy some brand new hacksaw blades and change them regularly too.

One final thing - if you do have access to a press - after cutting off the lip try pressing it out without putting that channel in. At the time when I did it, I was doing it in a vice which obviously doesn't have the same pressing power. You may get away with it as putting the channel in is a pain.

Quite a bit more detail here if your interested

https://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45388-348-DIY-quot-Restoration-quot&p=846466#post846466

SPOM13 likes this.
  4. SPOM13

SPOM13 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2015
    I ended up using a 3/8-1/2 adapter to push the center metal and rubber out. Then used a sawsall to cut an internal channel. Sometimes I had to cut 2; then hit it out with a chisel. Some went quickly, and some not. After 11 of them, I’m a pro!.
    Below are some pics how I did the shock bushings. A little different procedure. 7/8” socket with 34mm socket on opposite push out center. Then hit a 1” socket a few times(I have like 4 different brand sockets, just one was ok) then press out with 1” socket and 34mm opposite. I then used a piece of wood and 1” socket to press in. Make sure you ditch the wood out on the opposite side to allow center shaft room when pressing Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

348Jeff likes this.