How to remove pins from the white fusebox connectors on a TR? | FerrariChat

How to remove pins from the white fusebox connectors on a TR?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Elberoth, Apr 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Elberoth

Elberoth Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I have just spent well over 10 min trying to remove two pins from burned fusebox J connectors on my 1991 TR, but was not able to.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have the pin removal tool, but without knowing how the pins are built and what is holding them, I don't know what tool to use and where to press.

[​IMG]

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  3. Elberoth

Elberoth Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks, that worked !

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    Glad that you found it helpful. The mating male tab on the PCBA can also suffer (oxidize) so you might want to try to do something to improve that as well (e.g., clean the surfaces with DeOXIT, etc.). Unfortunately, you will be doomed to suffer the same failure again eventually unless you make a more significant design change. How many miles to get to that level of trouble? Did one of your radiator fans stop working?

You should probably check some of the other known troublesome ones as well:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe and Elberoth like this.
  5. Elberoth

Elberoth Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Adam
    One of the radiators stopped working, but both look burned already. Same for the AC. Suprisingly, both fuel pump connectors look as new.

I will probably get the new signle layer fusebox PCB.

The car has 22kkm (~14k miles). I'm slowly replacing stuff to bring it to perfect condition. New fuel Bosch pumps and new Spal radiator fans will be installed next month during a scheduled engine out service - I'm hoping new ones will be a tiny bit less current hungry.

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's more a case of those connectors are just under-designed for the nominal current of those devices (although if one was drawing an unusually high current that would be bad). IME, a new "tight" stock Ferrari CIS fuel pump draws ~11A; whereas, a "run-in" stock Ferrari CIS fuel pump draws about ~9A. Lately, people haven't been able to buy the stock Ferrari CIS fuel pump, and suppliers are actually supplying a slightly lower performing CIS fuel pump that only draws ~8A IIRC (so you may get some upside there for the connectors without even knowing it ;)). Anyway, my point is that you should measure the current that the device is drawing rather than just assume that, since the connector is burned, the device's current is higher than normal/expected.