How to tell if the manual transmission was original or aftermarket install? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How to tell if the manual transmission was original or aftermarket install?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Wcl4, Sep 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. unixphone

unixphone Rookie

Aug 7, 2022
    Full Name:
    Quen
    the link is interesting. My 2001 and other 2001 shows EUROPA but 2003+ shows USA.

2. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    That gear knob would mess with my OCD!

brogenville likes this.
  3. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Yeah, the camera did some weird distortion there, not sure why. Bothers my OCD too!

4. patina

patina Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Lake Norman, NC
    What a pretentious post. They made less than 500 factory gated 360 Modenas for the US market. In what world is a sub 11k-mile example a “driver”?

It’s funny you think spending $50k+ with EAG to convert your F1 Spider affords you the ability to be an ass to others here. You really need to check yourself, Kent.

Flea7 and DOWORKFCAR like this.
  5. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    #30 Kent Adams, Sep 26, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Can you cite your source for only 500 gated Modena's for the US market?

6. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    #31 Kent Adams, Sep 26, 2022
    You can make your point without the hyperbole and name calling.

Years in Production: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
    The Ferrari 360 Spider is Ferrari’s 20th road-going convertible. 2,389 Ferrari 360 Spider models were built for the US Market, with 670 being produced with the gated 6-speed manual transmission. The 360 Spider was the best Maranello built in the time period in terms of technical content, styling, and performance, so to purchase a Ferrari 360 Spider for sale is to own a crucial touchpoint in the development of the modern Prancing Horse.
    https://www.continentalautosports.com/ferrari-range/ferrari-360-spider/

This must be the source of the 500 Modena's? https://www.continentalautosports.com/ferrari-range/360-modena/

So close to 1100 in total for the 360's as a model in the US.

7. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    A converted Ferrari will always be a conversion and worth less than a factory original keeping everything else the same i.e. miles and options. How much less that is up to the market to decide; therefore being able to the tell the difference is important and I would have a dealer pull the build sheet before buying.

8. disco77

disco77 Rookie

May 31, 2022
    Full Name:
    David B.
    #33 disco77, Sep 26, 2022
    Gidday guys,

Hello from Oz.

I'm not sure why it is so difficult to determine if your 360 was born a gated manual or F1.

You do realise that Ferrari have affixed a plate to the inner door jamb that specifies this?

I own a UK/RHD example but I'm sure it would be the same worldwide, you look at the plate in ther inner door jamb (normally drivers door jamb - so mine is on your US passenger side) and it has details of the VIN number and also TIPO (type) which is a F131.

It should also state the letters ABM / ABE for Modena or ADM / ADE for Spider.

ABM = 360 Modena 6 sp manual (aka gated)
    ABE = 360 Modena F1

ADM = 360 Spider 6 sp manual (aka gated)
    ADE = 360 Spider F1

Hope this helps you and it's the most definative way to determine if your car is a gated manual or F1 - especially if you are looking to purchase.

Cheers,
    Dave.

P.S Not sure, but would assume something similar applies to F430.

Note: Below pic is an example and 360 Spider 6 sp manual gated (not my car)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

colorfull and Qavion like this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That plate is not on US Ferraris. Here is what we have over here. This is for a 575M, but the 360 ones are the same except the front part of the VIN is different, as are the weights.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. disco77

disco77 Rookie

May 31, 2022
    Full Name:
    David B.
    #35 disco77, Sep 26, 2022
    Really?

That's very interesting. The plate looks like a country compliance plate. I wonder why Ferrari combined the two for US market?

For example we also have a local compliance plate for Australia, but it's a separate plate to this door jamb build plate and in a different location.

Well there you go....(I'd still look in both door jambs in case there was another ;) )

But in anycase the model designation still holds, so if you can confirm the ABM/E or ADM/E code for your car it will identify trans.

My car also had a certificate of conformity issued by Ferrari SpA when new which was a two page typed letter and it designated ABM (Gated Modena) and specified Gearbox type: "mechanical, hydraulic with lever on the central tunnel".

Good luck with it guys.

Dave.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  12. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    That plate is for the North American market, not just the US.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    All "A" spec Ferraris.

14. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Looking at the gate is no good- plenty of reproduction gates out there with the horsey on them. ;)

In terms of parts to check, the clutch pedal would be easier to look at. It should appear the same as the brake pedal- many reproductions are CNC from billet or quite “rough” castings.

A look at the clutch master might show a willwood in there rather than oem.

F1 cars will certainly still have the plugs there for the TCU.

Many converted cars still have the holes in the steering column covers where the paddles would have gone, or maybe have some plastic inserts over them.

Aftermarket turrets and control plates are pretty obvious too if you can get a look at them, but they’re mostly out of sight.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    I hope that gate you sold me was OEM as you said. :eek:

EastMemphis likes this.
  16. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    It is. 100%. I spoke to the man who removed it from a salvage yard in Italy.

I've sold repro's and real ones, but I've always been straight about which is which.

colorfull likes this.