Howling sound from my right rear engine compartment | FerrariChat

Howling sound from my right rear engine compartment

Discussion in '360/430' started by drcripp, Dec 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    I was riding along in my '01 360 Modena when there was a sudden howling sound that seemed to be coming from somewhere in the driver's right rear compartment. Best described as a howl, seemed to be some kind of danger notification. Definitely a mechanical sound, not wind noise. However, car ran perfectly, absolutely no notifications from the dash. Engine sounded and acted normally. The howling seemed to stop for a half second during shifts (paddle) but kept on till I got home, about ten minutes. When I stopped in my driveway and shut the engine off it persisted with engine off. I walked around the car and I think it seemed to be right rear of the engine compartment. I walked around the car again, opened the driver's side door and it stopped. Got in, drive around a mile or so and it never happened again.

Any ideas?

2. ccalo

ccalo Karting

Aug 20, 2013
    CT us
    Full Name:
    Carmine Calo
    Have you ever changed your f1 relay?

3. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    Not that I know of.

4. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    Tony D in Philly says the F1 pump lives back there under the right rear fender and that pump doesn't like cold weather and will occasionally protest. When this happened, the temp was around 34 degrees F. Also says it's a benign condition and will not cause any permanent harm so just watch it. He also says few of his 360 drivers operate their cars in the winter so he doesn't see this issue often.

5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Sounds like you should replace the relay anyway. There is an upgraded one since this is a common failure for the 360's. My understanding is the relay failure can result in the pump running non stop-- and eventually fry the pump. Very expensive. Search the forum here and there will be more specific info. When I got my car I looked through the service records to see if that had been done (F1 relay upgrade and replace).

From your description, the sound did not stop after you shut the ignition off in your driveway. If it's the F1 pump, it should not be running at "shut down"... but I'm no expert. I just know mine doesn't (20K mile car). When you open the driver's side door (pump doesn't activate when the passenger's side door is opened) the pump will run for a few seconds to bring the system up to a "ready" status. If it continues to run past 10 seconds or so once the driver's side door is opened, that should tell you something is not right and is probably the relay.

To add, if the pump doesn't activate with the opening of the driver's side door, I wouldn't drive the car until you look at the pump/relay situation. Relay is relatively cheap compared to the problems it's failure can cause.

Good luck and stay on top of it. ;)

6. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    Thanks. Car is pretty much up for the winter now as snow and salt on the ground. Will keep an eye on it.

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Suffering with heat and humidity all year, being in Florida, now's the nice driving days we look forward to with the "windows down" weather!