HT Leads | FerrariChat

HT Leads

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 208 GT4, Jun 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I've got a 1975 208 GT4 which has the same twin distributor arrangement as a 308. I suspect it's cross firing between cyls 7 and 8.

My question is, how do you disconnect the HT leads from the distibutor?

They don't have a plug and boot type connector as on the coils. I've tried using 'reasonable force' both pulling and twisting, but perhaps I just need to get angry with them? Or are they an integral part of the distributor cap?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  3. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks Steve, that did the trick and I would never have spotted it by myself.

I owe you an E-beer!

Dan

4. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Bryan -- Is earlier stock F HT wire construction per the jpeg in your post? It certainly would make sense to use that method on that type of HT wire with the wide, fabric-like central filament, but stock 308 use a helically-wrapped fine-wire filament construction so I believe that technique really can't be applied.

Anyone know when the change-over occurred and if the more modern models (e.g., 360) still use the helically-wrapped fine-wire filament HT wire construction?

6. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

My photos are confusing as they are a mix between OEM (red cable with white sleeve) and replacement wiring (black). However, as described below, there is little real difference. This suggests that the answer to your first question is pre-1972.

I replaced my OEM wiring (1972 365 GTC4) with modern Magnecor wiring. On the Magnecor, the center carrier was a spiral-wound fine wire around a synthetic material solid core with the black outer insulation that you see in the photos. Still, I was able to apply Bishops' technique.

Cutting a short section of the red OEM wire open looks similar to the Magnecor with the following differences.

The central material that supports the helical wiring seems to be a foam material in the OEM.

The outer red OEM insulation is quite thick and a single layer; whereas the Magnecor was blue material around the helix and a thin black insulating layer around the blue.

Getting at the distributors on a C4 is not complicated, but it's a bit of pain due to the location; otherwise, I would pull the distributor cap (probably a 1 minute exercise on most cars) and post photos of the Magnecor wiring with the Bishop approach