I am an addict....I need help. Are there others like me in this community? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I am an addict....I need help. Are there others like me in this community?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Tomf-1, Apr 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Vic-- My dear friend.....!!!LOL.
    You are brilliant. You took a peek....Just couldn't wait for the pixs and....could ya?...LOL. Yes, I will pump up that $16,000 bass....(I saw the reciepts...hard to believe they spent that kind of money on a sound system)

PS: Check you PM, also.

2. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks, Julie-- If all goes as expected, I won't have any choice. Send me your address. I'll be home (your home) a week from this Sunday....LOL

3. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    I think the 550 is a great choice and also my personal favorite Ferrari.I beieve that those of us that have the means to do so ,are always looking for that next car rush,at least that is my case.I too, see one today, and ship it next week.Keeps things fresh, and in my case my wife knows me like a book, and in a way seems happy for me!

Like I believe it was said on a previous thread ,you are driving her, not sleeping with her,well at least not yet ha ha!

Please let us know how you like the 550, for I may be joining you sooner rather than later, congratulations!

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Congrats on your new car. I think there are alot of worse things to throw at a marriage; gambling, cocaine, excessive alcohol, affairs.....

These cars, while they depreciate, are not a total drain and marriage buster that these other "addictions" can be.

I hope you both enjoy your new car.

5. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    I love this thread. I was debating whether or not I should tell the wife I was considering a 348 purchase. I did eventually tell her, and to her credit, she did not freak out (too much). I think I have her about half way there, but it may have to come down to just doing it, and paying the consequences later (though I think secretly, she would dig the car).

Now I just have to stop myself from freaking out!

;-)

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Well let's see............

550 #1............. 2 weeks on Maui.

355 Spider........ New MBZ SUV for her

550 #2............. Got off easy with a matching (interior) purse and shoes

550 #3............. She'll make up for the last one (or I did) with the (white gold with diamonds) Harry Winston Avenue watch she is getting for mothers' day. I can't wait to see her face.... :)

She will be happy but the F40 counter purchase will undoubtedly be a big one!

Be smart!

DL

7. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks, Glen-- That notion might not be of a distant past but a near future. I fear this one could be the beginning of the end. She was utterly speechless when the 512TR showed up at the front door 7 wks ago unannounced and now this...

It's a good thing I am going out of the country for a wk after it arrives....but again, the lock might be changed by the time I return....(with the 550 in the garage...lol)

8. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    LOL....but man, as I quickly add up the these buyouts, all I can think of it how close I get toward the purchase of another Ferrari....

9. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I admire your courage.

10. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Ok....This is a bit concerning. I just got done reading Maranelloman's comment in a previous thread stating the "Fiorano package isn't available until 2000" and "it became available in 1999 for Euro model. The seller claimed this is a US car and it is a 98 model and said it has the Fiorano package. What am I missing? The vin # zffzr49a1w0112462.

I called the seller this morning and left a message. Hopefully, he can clarify but in the meantime, can someone check this out for me?

11. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    My father is a Lamborghini Freak he has a substantial collection and i have been enlightend my whole life with stories involving each car, but one story of the many brings a smile to my face everytime i hear it.

I am a young guy first of all, a child of the early 80's, at the time my father had yet to purchase the new Lamborghini Countach because he was waiting for a US car to come out. My mom upon my birth was already planning the liquidation of his car collection, for diapers etc lol. (Kids are expensive)

My dad had to have the countach, at the time it was THE car to have, the car would not only draw crowds but create commotions and disturbances. Described to me by many as " no where near the effect of any car today."

1985 my dad got the oppurtunity to purchase a US 2 valve car VERY RARE. Never telling my mother he had bought the car when she found out she BLEW UP! Demanding he sign a contract saying he would sell the car within 6 months.

Almost 20 years later he still has it! : ) hahaha and my parents are still happily married. The contract...who knows what happened, but everytime my dad buys another car, i hear the story of the infamous contract.

-jt

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Tom: you have chosen well.

Vincent; what the hell is that doing there?? And how? Not getting enough from the pedals? :D 12 buddy, go 12! :D

--Dan

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I reached a deal on the car that I was negotiating on. The wife also told me the cost: she get's a Jeep Grand Cherokee to replace her Lexus when we get back.

Napolis - I tried to talk her into the chili pepper, but she doesn't like the looks. Oh well...

14. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The only sickness is when YOU own up to the problem. I believe I am quite sane and have collected hundreds of (very valid!) rationalizations, for use in any circumstances relating to those who have the sickness of thinking that cars are a waste of time.

My wife, a wonderful woman, has her own rationalizations such as "it could be other women".

15. gekko

gekko Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Years ago I bought a number plate "Q360" which is relatively expensive in Queensland (where I live) because the "Q" plates are the original plates that were issued when cars were first registered. Anyway I had always wanted a Ferrari and my wife had always said "If you really want one... " so in January 2001 I ordered a 360 spider and then went home and told her. No problems :)

November last year, the 360 hasn't turned up yet but the talk is already around about the 360 replacement. Don't want to miss the boat on this one so I place the deposit on the 360 replacement as well. This I don't mention to the wife at all!

February this year, I have to finalise the 360 order (arrives in July). So I then decide to tell my wife that I have chosen the red/tan combination because it will have the best resale when I swap to the 360 replacement I have also ordered. I tell her this should make the cost differential quite small when the 360 replacement arrives at the end of 2006 (spider again). My wife is also resonably cool with this.

A week ago some new number plates arrive... "Q246" and my wife asks why I bought chose this one. I told her I just liked the sequence of the numbers...

If it is a disease, it is incurrable and widespread!

16. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Very savvy, Gekko...
    Way to negotiate yourself through all that land mines unscarthed.

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Tom, it is true that the F setup was not available as a standard until the 575M. However, some owners did do this to their 550s. Over a year ago, I also brought Marshall Field's car with this setup and more (cage, etc.). HW, you should know that I have heard mixed reports on this package.

Bottom line is that the 550 is a monster. Yeah, the 360 is a better sports car. But, but, if you dig torque. If you like that right pedal to be a bottomless pit, a 550 is the way to go. I have driven mine almost 7,000 miles now and have yet to wind it all the way through 6th speed, even on the track. You jump this momma through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and into 4th, and you'll start lifting in 4th if you are a sane person.

Good luck, Dale

18. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks, Dale. Maranelloman & Doody provided some similar inputs. Your sponsorship (along w/ others) of the 550M over the past few months have influenced my purchasing decision greatly.

19. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Actually, it became available in the US mid way thru the 2000 model year. I had the opportunity to option my 2000 model with the FHP, and I declined.

Regrets, I have a few....

20. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Tom, sorry, couldn't resist. :D Car looks brilliant, and you've come out ahead by far. Thanks for the PM. We'll wait for the "authentic" pics from you. ;)

21. gekko

gekko Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I meant to add that I am quite envious of you. I have planned three ferraris over three years. You have owned three ferraris over 6 months.

I am not sure I could ever get that one past the wife :)

Congratulations!

22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Whoops! That should read "almost" not "also." The Marshall Field car was sold by Joe Lyons before I could get my ducks in a row. Cool car though. FHP, complete roll cage, 30K miles a year ago. Ridden hard, but put up dry. It was somewhere on the West Coast last I heard....

23. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Ya know, when it comes to buying Ferrari,..a budget tells us what we can and can't afford but it doesn't preclude us from spending....LOL...

Man, I better get some serious help soon....LOL.

24. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    This is so true!

Congrat for your 550! I was looking for 12 cylinders, but ended up buying 355 spyder which will be delivered next Monday. We've done the deal on 3/31/04, and I just told my wife today as casually driving by the dealer, and asked what she think of that car. Since she's not a car person, I really don't have to worry, but after the visit to the dealer, I was forced to go to N. Marcus for "very small" shopping.

Looking forward to see pics of your 550. In the near future, I want to follow your steps to 512TR or 550, too!

25. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Dan,

I didn't even know it was there until we bought some cd's about 500 miles into the trip...lol...you should have seen my face when the car started thumping. nice install though very low key i guess. I never even bothered with the stereo during the test drive.

Vincent.