I got some white line in the road paint on my car as it was flung up by my tire. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I got some white line in the road paint on my car as it was flung up by my tire.

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by staatsof, Jun 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    3M is a great product and should be in every garage. It may not work on paint that is fully dried,but it won't do any harm. It removes wax,so rewax after use.

2. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    As you said, absolute magic and useful in so many situations. No garage is complete without at least one can. But it's highly unlikely to be effective on road striping paint, especially after all this time.

3. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As a chemist, the solvent needed to dissolve the paint has to have the same polarity. Having said that, you might try calling your county highway department and ask them what they use to clean their line painting equipment. It's worth a try and might save you from the trial and error above. Last resort is always a good body shop that can sand it off and repaint.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    OP did you try WD-40 like I suggested? It does work, but takes some work to rub out even if the road paint is old.

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +1

6. dtcali14

dtcali14 Rookie

May 21, 2015
    I had the same problem on my Yukon Denali. It was either road paint or liquid nails. I tried everything. Nothing touched it. I found Goof Off for superglue removed some. The only way I could remove it was to use a razor blade. It doesn't seem to mar the clear coat and what is left cleans up with the solvent.

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I talked to Turbopanzer over the weekend and decided to to give the lacquer thinner and plastic scraper a try. Well I found a set of plastic razor blades @ Walmart for about $1.50 and this morning I laid along side all the rockers and began to work on them.
    I popped the paint flecks off with the razor blade first and then decided to try some Bug & Tar remover. That did the trick and it also revealed that I had something that was like a thin layer of snot on there which also came off with a bit off work. The Bug & Tar remover acts like a great lubricant so that you can completely clean off any residue. This worked fantastically. Thanks to all who contributed with idea.

The first photo is what most of this rocker and the lower rear 1/4 panel looked like before, a mess. Now I've only got the typical small stone marks of road rash and it actually looks a lot better than these not so great photos.

On to the rest of the detailing!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login