I have had it with this piece of junk! | Page 8 | FerrariChat

I have had it with this piece of junk!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rudyF599, Jul 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Almost every old Ferrari has hidden issues that don't get caught during a PPI, which is why they say budget at least $10k above the purchase price for surprises. I can see doubling that for a garage queen V12. More likely to have issues from just sitting, and more expensive to fix than an old 308 or something. But $20-$30k a year for a modern Ferrari is crazy.

paulchua likes this.
  2. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I am informed, I believed reliably, that unless a part of a fine hand-made watch is broken which is rare - and you would know it as the watch wouldn't work at all - the only part that may require replacing will be the mainspring. That was the case with my dad's almost century-old Gruen. The only part replaced during the clean/lube/adjust was the mainspring.

3. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Thank Paul!

Sid

paulchua likes this.
  4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #179 davemqv, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    We're getting away from the original topic but since the OP has vanished I guess that's ok! :)

FWIW, I've been collecting vintage watches for over 15 years. The rule of thumb in the vintage Rolex community is NEVER send your vintage Rolex into Rolex for service. It is their company policy to replace the dial and hands on any vintage watch that comes in for service with a new service dial and service hands, which essentially kills the value of the watch, simultaneously robbing you of the reason you bought a vintage watch in the first place - the vintage watch! Rolex keeps all the old parts and destroys them. They are very strict about these policies.

Rolex Service Centers have also been known to declare watches with a few non-Rolex parts (including just replaced movement parts) inside them to be fakes, and confiscates them with no compensation to the owner, as it is a declared fake and thus illegal in their eyes.

To put it mildly, Rolex has an antagonistic relationship with the vintage Rolex world. Rolex's biggest competitor for selling new watches isn't Omega, Patek, or Longines, it's vintage Rolex. So they go out of their way to be unfriendly to the hobby. There have been cases, especially with rare watches like vintage Mil-Subs, where customers have successfully made special requests that their dials, hands, bezels, etc. not be replaced during a service, but this seems mostly to boil down to the watch owners previously existing relationship with a specific Rolex service centre. In other words, what they might do for you in the UK , they might not do for you in the US. This proprietary attitude has extended down to their sister brand Tudor, whose new movement is only serviceable (for now anyway) at a Tudor AD. All of this is less of an issue with modern watches, but you're still likely to get your dial replaced, which might matter to you in 20 years if it doesn't matter now.

The much better bet is to send your vintage Rolex to get serviced by a reputable watchmaker who specializes in vintage watches, of whom there are many. One of my watches is currently with Los Angeles Watchworks in Pasadena. I can highly recommend them amongst many others in NYC as well.

Fiat2Ferrari and paulchua like this.
  5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No, it's a little known fact that the Yaris contains gigantic magnets inside the dashboard and steering column that ruin the movement of automatic Rolexes. On the upside I hear you get a gift certificate for 50% of a digital Casio with every new Yaris, so there's a silver lining after all.

Buyer beware!!!

;)

paulchua and sidtx like this.
  6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I initially thought that too, but it couldn't be a typo for both numbers...ie he would have typed 2k-30k or 20k-3k

paulchua likes this.
  7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm more than happy with my Tag :)

davemqv and Jakuzzi like this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Maybe different denomination? Whatever the case, yeah I agree with you.

AceMaster likes this.
  9. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    I have a f355 and a Prius. I think I will have the Prius longer. I thought the Ferrari would be a good investment for the future, but any rise in values will be taken away by the maintenance costs. The Prius never goes wrong (but then it doesn't get driven like the Ferrari). The seller of my 355 had loads of evidence to show how well it had been looked after and how it was in good condition, but less than a year later I was having a top end rebuild due to bent valves (that would have been that way when I bought it, but I didn't get my own PPI done).

I also bought it for love and fun, but some of the fun has gone since I took it for a visit into a hedge. Just so easy to get it wrong that one time, after blasting the same road so many times. Nothing major, but the kicker is I had a police officer sitting next to me (my next-door neighbour). At 57 perhaps I'm not a boy racer any more!

10. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Yes, and just plain trolling.

11. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    ...…....Because in order to be in Fchat and have an opinion you must own a Ferrari, right?
    I guess I cannot comment on the Mona Lisa then.

12. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    HMMMmmmmm.......... Makes me wonder......

Which came first: the Rolex policy, or Classiche?

davemqv likes this.
  13. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    of course you can, but comments you make on the costs of maintaining the painting would be taken with a rather large grain of salt, that's all. (unless you were a museum curator, in which case the opinion would be a pretty cool example of the quantity of experts we have in different fields here.... but I'm assuming that's not where your analogy was going...)

anunakki and Smyrna355Spider like this.
  14. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    JoeTSI, Yassa and paulchua like this.
  15. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    paulchua likes this.
  16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Definitely Rolex. They've been at it for a long time. In fact, some executive at Ferrari probably sent their vintage Rolex in for a service, and had it ruined. They were in the midst of a full blown Italian temper freak out about their vintage gilt dial being replaced by a crappy service dial when they thought to themselves, "Hey, waita un minuto! I hava an idea!"

willrace and paulchua like this.
  17. rudyF599

rudyF599 Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Roger Kastoun
    I did not go anywhere... I actually read all posts with great interest... (well, most of them...)

My car is now back from the garage and fixed (for now). I put it in storage with battery disconnected until I find a way to get rid of it... I have zero desire to drive it.

And by the way, I did get a Toyota Yaris!!! Which I don't love, but I respect a lot... Because it might be a kitchen appliance as some have snobbishly described it, but I would pick it for a long trip over the Ferrari any day!! and that deserves some respect! And I personally never look down at any car brand or model because this was all i could afford not so long ago...

18. rudyF599

rudyF599 Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Roger Kastoun

I would pick an analogue Ferrari with gated shifter over a modern one any day! I grew up watching Magnum PI so a 308 GTS is total bliss for me! But i live in a part of the world where mechanics are rare and parts are close to impossible to find...

I would love to see pictures of your BB512. I can only imagine how much fun it must be!

Thanks for your post.

19. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Sorry if it's been discussed, I'm late to the party, but, aren't these issues rare in these cars? I've never heard of a steering column or suspension leak on a well kept Ferrari. And when I say well kept I just mean not a barn find.

-F

20. rudyF599

rudyF599 Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Roger Kastoun

Suspension leak (front and back) is one of the most common issues with the 599... Kept well or not...

21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Your best bet would be a 328 without anti lock brakes!

22. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    So sell it.

23. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    My 599 services cost me £500/600 a time, no more ($7-800). Yes, I had the radiator break so had a new one and a few suspension pieces changed for ease while the car was apart, but total bill approx £8000/$11000, and that was a ferrari main dealer doing the work. I’d probably say if you couldn’t afford a couple grand a year in costs, don’t buy one cos it’s crazy, but $20-30000? No way, not a 599

crinoid likes this.
  24. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Having had one of these once for a rental, I would not wish one on my worst enemy! Terrible econobox with zero room, inadequate engine, and at best a sub-par commuter car. My daily driver is a modded Jeep Wrangler and I find it leaps and bounds above the Yaris in terms of drivability and creature comforts (2018 Wrangler JL Sahara...fully loaded on 35" tires".

paulchua likes this.
  25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I'm sure there was a heavy dose of facetious with the Prius comment. He would have been better served with saying he had enough with Ferrari and going with a Honda NSX or Toyota LFA.