I just put solid motor mounts on my 308 | FerrariChat

I just put solid motor mounts on my 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by luckydynes, May 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    #1 luckydynes, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I only swapped the 2 rears ... I couldn't wait to try them out ... I still have the urethane mounts on the front. At first I thought it was too much but I'm hooked. The feeling coming thru the steering wheel reminds me of a motorcycle ... in fact the whole car reminds me of that more and more. Shifting at high rpm is so solid ... I luv it!

cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Interesting idea.

Any mechanics out there to provide commentary regarding advantages and disadvantages of doing this?

(BTW: For me, "It feels like a motorcycle" is a good thing! :)

Looks like quality work!

3. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Thanks ... I have solid mounts on my 911 track car. Some guys in the P club put them on their Boxsters and had some serious resonance issues at low rpm which made driving in traffic unbearable I was told. There is quite a bit of extra bzzz at 1500 rpm but I never drive there :).

I originally made up some urethane ones but the rears haven't been holding up. When I first switched to urethane the difference was night and day ... the swap to solid is another magnitude of "night and day".

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wouldn't the vibration transfer to the body with the solid mounts?

5. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    probably ... is it going to fall apart you think? ... my 911 is a 1973 and I still drive the **** out of it :)

6. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Let us know when you start to loose your fillings in your teeth LOL

7. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    no worries ... I don't have teeth ;).

I hope it doesn't do something to my brain though ... probably too late since I already don't think its that harsh LOL ... door fell off though :).

cheers

8. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    #8 luckydynes, May 14, 2011
    It's interesting ... now it just seems louder and not that harsh at all. The engine is all warmed up and idles really smooth so that helps. When the engine was cold and idling it felt pretty. Like I posted I only have 2 solids in there right now ... all 4 might be too much ... I'll take the wife for a ride and see if she notices any difference. I think if I'm looking at things right the front ones get pulled up for the most part under load so maybe just 2 solids in the rear is a good compromise.

Here's a pic of the urethane deformation. Only the right rear is getting hammered like this. They've seen 30,000 miles and several track days. Hopefully they'll last like 10 years with typical street driving.

The top pic is comparing the right side to left side compression. The bottom pic is showing the deflection on both pieces from the right mount ... I'd rotated the urethane from top/bottom and machined new pieces when the first side started to collapse. They've both pretty much got the same permanent set now.

9. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No one says anything about that sump plate ???? I haven't seen it before ? I it part of the drysump setup ?

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I was thinking the same thing!?

11. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

Yeah I could of just hogged all the meat off the back side of a stock pan but had this one that I made up for a different dry sump style. It has windows/openings in the sides for external scavenge pickups (can't see them in this pic). I figured I might as well use it instead of cannabalizing a factory part. All I had to do was put the 2 mangetic drain plugs in which are right under the pipes of the pickup tubes.

I've got to do a few more things to the car that this motor is going in but was just dieing to try the solid mounts. I went for a few more romps yesterday eve and the worst vibration is at 1500 rpm. The rest of the "experience" is really more noise related ... it seems like you can really hear everything ... a lot more gear whine and wrrrr.

12. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    #12 luckydynes, May 15, 2011
  13. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hi Sean,

After a couple of thousand miles on the Summitt/mustang/Sean modified poly mounts, i can report that there is no apparent difference in NVH once off idle. At idle, there is a definite vibration throughout the car, not objectionable, just noticeable. Above that, all is good.
    On the track, the shifting is more precise in the turns, without the engine/trans waveing all about.

Thanks Sean,
    chris

14. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Sean,

i like the 1/2 solid idea.

But,
    That RH rear side is close the exhaust pipe...?
    Do you think it got hot..? causing accelerated deformation.
    is that what wrecked-em..?

Edwardo
    ( OMG always wanted to add this,,, "Rectum,,,,,? Hell, killed-em.")
    :)

15. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Extremely cool. I love it

16. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Hmm you got me wondering about that now ... I thought for some reason the mounts weren't symmetrical but they are. The exhaust is still pretty close on the left mount. Maybe the fact that the crown gear is offset on that side in the gearbox puts more load on the bearing on that side thus the mount, or it's just that I don't sandbag on left handers like I do right handers 'cause of the oiling issues ... maybe that's it?

On the front mount on the right side the "puck" is loose on the top like the motor is pulling up which makes sense ... just real interesting all the load appears to be greater on the right side than the left ... any more thoughts about that? I really thought it was the geometry of the mounts relative to the engine but now I'm not seeing that now.

cheers

17. badkarma308

badkarma308 Karting

Aug 5, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I think turning to drag racing tricks of the trade can shed some light on the right mount wearing faster than the left. On a typical RWD car you preload the right rear shock/spring because engine torque wants to twist the body one way while tire grip takes it another, the preload helps put power to the pavement. The transverse engine setup likely has a similar transfer, just to a different spot ie that right rear mount.

18. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
  19. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Hey Pete ... PM'd you back. I absolutely luv these solid mounts. I was watching one of my autoX videos and I shifted right in the middle of a corner under heavy cornering load. I don't think I was able to do that even with the urethane mounts. I've also got this "feeling" that the motor is actually boxing in the entire rear end structure. I've also got solid suspension bushings on the rear ... that helps :).

20. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Wow, that price is Cheep. I can't even do that for myself,,, let alone add 20 % profit.
    Thus, at that price, going 1/2 solid is worth a try.

21. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    FWIW ... a fellow engineer (Mke) was 'splaining me about possible problems with only running two solid mounts. He's absolutely correct of course but I just wanted to install two in the beginning because it was easy and I wanted to make sure my teeth didn't rattle out.

I still need to swap the other two and probably go to a solid bushing arrangement on the top dog bone strut that connects to the rear cam cover.

Yes ... those Hill pieces are pretty reasonable in price. There's pics of what I made up above ... much ligther than what Hill's part looks like and you don't need the extra steel ballast/spacers that the stock mounts use ... I made the front mounts the correct length without the need for the extra spacers.

Be interesting to see if that is a part they stock now ... looks like a rendering in the pic.

It's good they offer them ... they should start offering EFI conversion packages :).

cheers

cheers!

22. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    WOW, I'd LOVE to give this a try...

And as for these solid suspension bushings... you've posted on this before. How are these holding up? Still like them, I gather?

(hoping for a group buy opportunity here.... ;))

23. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    sean,

what are the benifits of solid mounting the engine. Actually i only see some disadvantages.

24. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Yes they are working great. It's interesting I noticed something on the rear suspension that I would have never picked up if I wasn't installing such precision pieces. Without getting into a long explanation that belongs in the other thread it seemed both upper control arms were shifted forward or back (can't remember) because I had to change the stack order of the thrust washers ... rubber/urethane just distort the .04" difference that it was "roughly" ... think it was creating a bit of caster?

I am really excited about getting my CNC lathe running to do the bushings for the front. If I do them on that machine it will literally be minutes to make extra ones. When I make them manually making extras isn't "fun" ;). That lathe will be running one day. I'll post on that thread when I get closer to doing the fronts.

Hans, dude! ... still can't get my ITB car to pull to redline (7700 rpm) like your car seems where it makes sense. Right now if I shift right at 7100 rpm the tq in the next gear is higher than where it was in the previous gear, meaning I should've shifted at a lower rpm ... we're talkin 1st/2nd/3rd. Going to 7700 rpm just seems like it makes "no sense". On my plenum EFI car I can pretty much go all the way to 7700 rpm and the shift "makes sense" because the torque in the next gear just about equals where it fell off in previous gear. I rambled about this I think in the ITB thread ... plan on playing with the cam timing but if I'm going to do that I'm going to make belt covers that let me get to the adjustable pullies.

Hi jacking my own thread ... too much coffee .. .cheers!

25. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Yeah I was concerned about what could be "bad".

My 911 track car has 'em first off so that inspired me. I had cause and effect that led to them though.

When I would drive hard I could not shift in mid corner, which is why I made the urethane mounts initially. That made things a lot better but still had issues with 3/4 in mid corner. When I put in the solids all that went away.

cheers