I may have used the wrong engine oil | FerrariChat

I may have used the wrong engine oil

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Hipporacer, Aug 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hipporacer

Hipporacer Karting

Jun 26, 2021
    Springfield IL
    Full Name:
    Julia M Stapleton
    My 87 Ferrari testarossa had its engine out service about a month ago. They used castrol 20w50...a couple days ago, I noticed it was low on oil. I added an oil I found at autozone, castrol gtx 20w50. I put about 2qts in. On second study, I think I put the wrong stuff in. I think its either conventional or a synthetic blend....anyways, what do I do now? Is it common for a testarossa to need oil topped off after an oil change? After an engine out service? There is no sign of oil leaking, so I dont know where the oil went in the first place.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hello julia,
    would be great to introdice yourslef and fill out your profile. this will help you to get answers and also will help the other members here
    why you think you put in wrong oil? both are 20W50 castrol, so all ok.
    how do you check the oil level? may be you did it the wrong way?

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I wouldn't worry about the (slightly different) oil type. Did you use the correct method doing the oil level check? One other point is that you should target setting the engine oil level to be 1/2 way between the MIN and MAX marks (no need to be at the MAX mark, IMO, as it holds a huge amount of engine oil).

peteficarra likes this.
  4. Hipporacer

Hipporacer Karting

Jun 26, 2021
    Springfield IL
    Full Name:
    Julia M Stapleton
    The oil level was definitely low, it was below the min line. Now it is about an inch above the min line. So I know it has enough oil. I suppose my concern is that I didnt use fully synthetic oil. As for checking the oil, Ive just followed the manual steps. Basically checking it right after the car was running at operating temps.

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Fully synthetic oil is over-rated ;). Seriously, it was/is a fair bit of marketing malarkey that the manufacturers foisted on us to charge us a higher price (and is more important on my Honda to go 10K miles between oil changes). A couple of quarts of conventional oil in 16 total quarts is a non-issue IMO. Your using a 20W50 oil vs the TR spec of 10W40 oil is a much more significant deviation. (My preference is to use a 50/50 mix of Mobil1 10W40 and Mobil1 15W50 just to increase the ZDDP level back closer to where it used to be in oils when the TR was new.)

Always possible that the low oil level was just a miscommunication at the shop -- i.e., topping things up was left to a lower level tech and just got forgotten (I usually put about 8 quarts in it when doing the change and start the engine to check for leaks -- then top it up). You could be 3~4 quarts low in a TR and never notice a problem unless you were flogging it on a track. All you can do now is just keep checking it regularly to see if it stays the same or is decreasing rapidly.

6. Hipporacer

Hipporacer Karting

Jun 26, 2021
    Springfield IL
    Full Name:
    Julia M Stapleton
    I was concerned about the 20w50 part as well. The Ferrari service center I took it to said they recommend and use that oil. I didnt really feel like I had a choice to go with any other weight.

7. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    This is what my factory tech uses. He’s been wrenching on TRs since they were new in 1984/5.

Attached Files:

DonB likes this.
  8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Not super-critical if in a non-freezing location, and a lot of F Owners use 20W50 successfully. Many recommended temperature range charts for 20WXX oil often list 0 deg C as the bottom end of the range.

fridolin_pt likes this.
  9. leslie_choo

leslie_choo Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Steve , what do you think about 5W40 instead of 10W-40 ? My view is that it’s thinner than 10W-40 and will circulate faster to give better lubricant and protection to the engine when car first started as compared to 10W-40 . And it will continue to thin out to reach about the same level of thickness as 10-40W when engine is hot .

( ps I come from a hot climate country and no winter )

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Don't think that you'd have a problem with 5W40, but I'm no expert. Our resident "oil expert", AEHaas, has written a lot for bob is the oil guy so you could read his thread there (and the other related threads at the bottom of that thread):

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/thin-vs-thick-discussion-chapter-1.339726

I'd summarize his opinion as: "In rational street use, your oil never gets hot enough to get too thin so most (all?) car manufacturers oil recommendation are much too viscous when at room temperature, and you're better off using as thin an oil as possible. Also, increasing flow (by using lower viscosity oil) gives better heat transfer". Consequently, using 5W40 instead of 10W40 fits well with his approach. What gives me some concern about this is that the load capacity and minimum film thickness of a journal bearing are proportional to the oil's viscosity so going too low (for the hot operating viscosity, not the cold start viscosity) could be a problem. However, I've not invested any real time in delving deeper so that's your homework ;).

11. leslie_choo

leslie_choo Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Thanks Steve for sharing and I will go through the information .

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I would not use such thin oil like 5 W 40. max down to 10 W 40 or 10 W 50, better 15 W 40 or 15 W 50. those cars are rarely driven in cold weather, so no need for such a thin oil. also, the thinner the oil the earlier it leaks. and as steve have written: the oil during normal driving will never get so hot that it will get too thin, even with 5 W xx

the synthetic oil 0 W xx and 5 W xx are good for automatic valve adjustment

13. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    How much oil sits in the filters? Maybe a couple of quarts? Not that familiar with the TR's....

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Only one, slightly larger, oil filter on a TR -- maybe holds ~1 qt or a little more.