I need a new drug. | FerrariChat

I need a new drug.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Texas Forever, Apr 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    [To the mods. Go ahead and move this. Go ahead. After all, you know best, right?]

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a self-made spoiled brat. I have gone through more cars in the last few years than I care to admit. But, hey, rust never sleeps.

Here's the deal. This summer my 18-year old son and I are gonna take a road trip to Monterey. You know, one of those father and son bonding things, particularly because, well, things have been a bit rough over the last few year... long story.

In fact, my son plans on making his notes on the trip into his college essay.

My plan, as if I really have plans anymore, is to buy a inexpensive cool car, drive it the long way to Monterey, document the whole thing on a web page, and then sell the car at one of the auctions. I realize that I will not make any money, but that's not the purpose of the thing. You know, Zen and the Art of Being Crazy.

S-o-o-o-o, I'm taking nominations for a cool car.

Plan A - I was gonna buy a local 1967 GTC, drive it 2,000 miles, and then put it up for auction without even washing it. But, sad to say, these cars have become much too valuable for such nonsense. As Mahatma Shaughnessy sez, "My applecart is empty! There are no cars out there."

Plan B - Buy a 67 - 70 Cadillac Convertible. Paint it red. Put shields on it and cowhorns on the front. I got ma new yawk brim and gold tooth displayed, we bad, bad, bad, bad... we's nationwide.

Plan C - A Datsun 240Z, maybe a V8 conversion. Chuck originality. We're talking about having fun.

Plan D - A Corvair. Chuck all you PC types. A buddy of mine in high school rigged his with a keg in the front and hoses coming out the vents. You get the picture.

Plan Z - Just drive the 2004 Maser Spyder I have sitting in the garage. Very, very cool car. Maybe not quite as good as a 360, but the price is right!

Oh, and one more thing. My son is not into cars and motorcycles. He fancies himself a poet. So, I'd like for this trip to be interesting, in a Chinese sort of way.

Let's hear your suggestions for a "Run to the Sea" car.

Dale

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well it sounds like you need to get a 60's VW bus and paint it with all kinds of psychedelic colors.

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Keep it in the Ferrari family. By yourself a nice 308 GT4 for less than $20k. The hardest part will be selling it when you are done...

Dom

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No, no, no. Been there. Ain't doing the VW thing again. Mine died in 1974 in the middle of Utah, right in front of a VW graveyard. It's probably still there...

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Problem is that I don't fit! Not enough head room...

6. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Buy the 330, drive it to Monterrey, drive it home, leave the poet at home.

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Don't suppose that I can talk you out of your GTC, eh? No, I didn't think so. :)

ps Congrats on selling the 456! Gary told me the good news.

Dr "Bottom Feeding" Who :)

8. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Dale,

I have been following your threads, as usual.

Since you are itching for a race Ferrari as well, I have a good suggestion. Buy an early 360 for buck and a quarter.

Drive it to Monterey, have fun. Don't sell it. On the trip home, let your boy drive it all the way back. This way he will have great memories both ways. Even poets love the open road in a great machine.

Once you get home, put some slicks on it, and drive to TMS and have a blast. Should cure your tough year.

GIve the Maserati to the wife and be done with it.

Make sure you mention to your son, as I always say, I wish I had a dad like you. Be safe out there.

My .02 Houston (non River Oaks) pesos ;)

9. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    AND:

a year later, you'll still get your money back. And if you believe that, let me show you the bridge I've got for sale.

See you in Monterey.

Art

10. nwocorp

nwocorp Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    australia
    build your own lamorossa, old supra, upgrade the engine for you and let your son at it with the wallmart supplies for the artistic feel

11. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Family boding with your son?
    Nothing better than a BMW Motorbike with side-car!!!

12. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You and Huey Lewis....

A couple of Kiwi guys a few years ago came to America for one of those hotrod across America things and bought a '72 Riviera, painted it flat black, put some loud pipes on it and whacked a couple of silver ferns on the sides and off they went. About $2K all up and they had a ball.

So I would find something cheap, cool, and fun so it is about the adventure with your boy rather than the car itself and go for it. Think '60s/'70s American iron but outside the box like - B/O/C (not to be confused with Blue Oyster Cult) or Mercury. Electra 225 convertible for example....

Cheers
    Kevin

13. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    My thoughts, in no particular order:

It's got to be a convertible, Thelma & f-in Louise taught us that. At some point the top will have to malfunction and only after that will the rain start. You won't mind if you bring the right music to play. Bring some bad music so that you can ceremoneously toss it out the window at the proper time.

If you come to a bridge that is marked "closed"...go ahead and jump it.....if you don't make it, your faith wasn't strong enough. Don't worry about the fact that your front-end will be destroyed as it comes crashing down head-first...the car will just drive away fine (maybe you'll need an alignment). Same rule applies if you come to a flooded area...you'll make it.

Pick up every cute hitch-hicker you can find along the way. Do not pick up any guys unless they are fabulously dressed and speak with a lisp. Spend enough time with them to freak you out, but no more then that!

Run out of gas at least once, but don't crank the engine until the battery dies.

If a cop tries to pull you over, don't stop: you can make it to the county line!!!

No matter which car you select...there'll be a bank robbery nearby where the suspects are driving the same model, make & year car as the one you chose. But don't worry, your tires will have a unique tread and you'll be aquitted before it gets ugly.

Stop at a biker bar and nearly start a fight...this is where your kid will perform some dorky dance on the bar-top to that Tequila song and suddenly the would-be thugs will find you both adorable and send you on your way happily.

Keep a photo-journal of all your road kill.....memories!!!!

If you stay at a hotel and there is a strange video tape with some little byotch stuck in a well....do not watch the tape.

My final vote: VW Karmann Ghia convertible: you can't blow your radiator if ya don't got one! ;)

14. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Steve, but if they stop at a biker bar in a Karmann Ghia the fight will start all by itself....

Diggin' your mojo otherwise.

Cheers
    Kevin

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Sounds like a life-defining great trip.

Although not original, my first choice would a Stearman biplane. Author Stephen Coonts flew cross country on a bonding voyage with his dispossesed teenage son, then he wrote about it as the book, 'Flight of the Cannibal Queen'. You might enjoy it.

Would definitely agree a classic convertible. Something funky, easy to work on by locals if problems arise, and NOT requiring high quality gas.

Therefore, I throw my full support to Steve: a 1973 VW Karmann Ghia convertible. Would suggest orange.
    If you want to go the money route, a Porsche 356 cabriolet. With a luggage rack. Would suggest orange if available.
    If you want to go the big money route, a Porsche Speedster. With a luggage rack. Orange or silver.

What a long, strange trip it will be!
    best
    rt

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #16 thecarreaper, Apr 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    No self-respecting American would drive half-way across the country in a car they don't care about UNLESS its a mid-sixties caddie convertible. I'm not sure about the longhorns and Tex-ccessories, but there is nothing like 19 feet of hood and a set of fins to get you straight on the highway.
    Unless you consider this the essential male-bonding experience with your son, i would leave him at home and pick up a cheesy blonde. Then, I would definitely strap on the longhorns. Heee-hawwww!

Couple other points for your consideration: Go for a 1960-66 model (59's are out of reach, and post-66, the fins disappear) which are, as my friend "Chic" would say, a "whole other thing." Chic owns two caddies right now, an early 80's job with vinyl roof and a mid-70's Eldo, which his friend Frankie gave him the last time he got out of the joint. To give context, I was telling Chic about the unfortunate and grisly death of a local restaurant owner, who was done, while still alive, on his own powered meat saw. Chic explained: "You know, it's one thing, you whacka guy, trow 'em in the trunk. (ergo, the Caddy affinity for those who aren't attuned). But, that! That takes at least two guys. That's a whole other thing!"
    One last thought. If you toss the kid, and skip the blonde, you can add further excitement by travelling with an ex-felon. Preferably, somebody with a rap sheet that includes armed robbery of convenience stores. Send him in occasionally to buy cigarettes and beer while you wait in the car (motor running). I guarantee it will add interest to your trip.

18. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Having done the trip recently, I'd have to recommend a Stradale or other car that:

1) attracts lots of positive attention
    2) is fun on curvy roads
    3) holds enough luggage for two

Why? Your poet-son will find much more to write about on the curvy, scenic roads than on the exceedingly BORING interstates. Further, your poet-son will find much inspiration from meeting all the people who will come up and talk to you at every stop if you are driving a unique car. Some of those will bring a very interesting level of passion, which is always useful fodder for a poet. And he just might end up with a little car passion of his own... I think a poet may be just the person to understand that "soul" thing.

Sounds like mucho fun, best wishes,

19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

How about a very nice, clean running early 60's Vette with a nice V8?

Drop top?

Carbs!!!!

Drive??

Gas stink not too bad, lots of great exhaust sounds!!!

Sell??? It'll sell well.

Have a hell of a good time on the way!!!!

DM

20. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'm sorry to put an end to this thread... but my choice is:

ALFA SPIDER. If you want something wild, go 67 Duetto; if you want something -slightly- more modern, get a Graduate. No self-respecting poet would take issue with an Alfa. It symbolizes everything that summer, freedom, and the open road are all about.

Cheap, ragtop, reminds everyone of Dustin Hoffman, fun to drive, always gets a "thumbs up" from on-lookers, red, ITALIAN.

-Daniel

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, there is a cherry looking GTV near me. No A/C, of course. I know, I know, I should be tough. But did I mention that it will be August?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4543359713&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yes, a 99 or 00 360 would be pretty cool. I'd take a beating at the auction, but oh well. Problem is that as a GT car the Maser Spyder is probably better than a 360 couple. No really. Call them chick cars all you want, you don't take one on unless you know what you're doing.

Dale

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hmm... you may be on to sumthang here. Is this the one with those swoopy sides that looked like big hair on a Texas dame?

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ah, a road tripping pro. But what it is with VWs? Last time I did this was in 74. Drove a 64, 6-volt mo-fo cross country. Car had to be push started cause, as it turned out, the wire to the key switch had gone bad. Only problem was that my hippie chick old lady couldn't handle a clutch. So she had to push start that mother all the way across the good ole USA. Hey, I helped out best I could. I always parked for the night on a slope. Although there was a time or two when I got the slope backward for some reason.

Dale

25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You read weird stuff, my friend. :)

Dale

ps Are you still going to be there the early part of May?