I need to glue a clear front indicator lense | FerrariChat

I need to glue a clear front indicator lense

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by staatsof, Nov 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Here's what a good one looks like.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Somehow? in removing the entire lamp unit from it's holder in the front of the car the lower left corner broke so that a portion about 1/2" x 1/2" came off in two pieces.

They can be fit back in and glued. Due to the obscuring nature of the lense the back side could get added reinforcing with additional glue and not show.

But ... my experience in the past has been that clear epoxy tends to yellow badly with age.

Does anyone have any suggestions such as a special type of epoxy or even something like clear Gorilla glue.

This vendor says they have them but has a rather notoriously difficult reputation. Another refuses to ship to the USA. One USA vendor has what looks the same but has a different Carello part number. I've already bought what I thought were the correct lenses years ago so I'm more than a bit cautious about claimed offerings.

So I thought I'd take a shot at trying to fix this one.

Thanks.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If you can get the frame the lens mounts in surgically clean, you can use clear silicone (Room temperature vulcanizing) stuff.

3. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    This isn't a job for super glue? I have a hard time using that stuff and keeping the job tidy but I would think it would make the parts stick together and one could be more careful than I usually am!

4. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Plastruct Plastic Weld

Verify you have the right plastic. I’ve used it on an amber Ducati lens and a body piece that were ABS. It melts the plastic and creates a weld of sorts.

5. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not very strong.

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'll look into it.

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Can you elaborate?

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This p[lace is local to me and I think I can call them. Henkel is another company I can try. The UV resistance over time is key to a long lasting repair.
    If this was a yellow or orange lens I could hide the epoxy on the inside but it's clear, well sort of.

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    +1 on using a clear silicone sealant / adhesive (the type used for windshield mounting, etc.).

Anything else ---- almost any adhesive, including super glue ---- will dry opaque (not remain clear after setting).

"Plastic weld" solutions will not work here, as the lens material is most likely a polycarbonate (or a blend there of) plastic.

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Forgot the link Doh ...

https://www.masterbond.com/tds/uv15x-2

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's going to be quite difficult given the small size of the pieces and that bond will be flexible right?
    Perhaps some of that on the back side with something else along the edges of the break that dries quickly?

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This is a 1970 era piece of plastic that broke in a surprising manner. I always thought polycarbonate plastics were really tough?
    Is it possible it could be something else? I'm not sure what that would be? Cheap Italian comes to mind ... :p

13. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    They are tough, but they can be brittle too especially after they age ---- depends on what other plastics have been blended in or not.

It is also possible that it is acrylic. But, even if it is, you have the same problems / limitations as if it were polycarbonate ---- so, it does not matter much either way.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thx for your help.

15. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    This may sound counter-intuitive, but Shoe Goo works very well on this application, and also for emblems. Practice first..apply with a tooth pick apply super thin layers to each edge. two or thee minutes work time, and if you have excess, use a brand new razor blade to scrape it off when it begins to gel, no later. It dries clear and last for years. whatever you decide on using...please practice first. I hope that this is of some help. Jq.

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'll have to look that one up. Does it stay clear though? THX

17. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    A picture of the broken pieces might be helpful ;)

Remember to click full size after you upload the attachment.

18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    For curiosity's sake perhaps but really it's not about IF it can be glued as I know it can. It's about a glue which works with this material and whether it will remain clear.
    I know how silicone works.

19. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Google 3M Scotch Weld, they make several specific adhesives for hard substrates which dry clear.

staatsof likes this.
  20. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    E6000 jewellers glue. I had the inlay in one of my cufflinks come out and e6000 worked perfectly. Dries clear. Very strong.

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #21 staatsof, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Lots of interesting suggestions! Thanks so much.

I think this might be a winner?

It's not epoxy but it is rated for outdoors and is non yellowing.

http://www.hillas.com/Categories/Plastic-Adhesives/3M-Scotch-Weld-Industrial-Plastic-Adhesive-4475-Clear-5-Ounce-36-per-case.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA3JrQBRBtEiwAN7cEGhrOvPA9i1BWFV2iqj93jEylb6Amj5lcI0PuYHwfrHYjS8z4j0sT5hoCpSMQAvD_BwE

They also have an actual clear epoxy that's meant for exactly what I want it's just a lot more money and a lot of glue that will go bad sitting on the shelf.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Scotch-Weld-Epoxy-Adhesive-DP105?N=5002385+3293242301&rt=rud

Here's another which I hope also wouldn't yellow?

https://www.permatex.com/products/adhesives-sealants/permatex-flowable-silicone-windshield-glass-sealer/

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have a tube of this which I used to seal the in bumper license plate lamps because not gaskets are available and it works great for sealing. It hasn't yellowed in 6 years either.

https://www.tgoldkamp.com/3m-trade-clear-auto-sealer-08551-5-fl-oz-us-tube.html?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAiAoqXQBRA8EiwAIIOWsvNMP6JGTQzW1rUVFd4GEOysHx_tIGamErOAXc1CMQNvFD3gRdG4VhoC1iAQAvD_BwE

But it's not a strong gluing product so I'm thinking of the E6000 jewelers glue in between the pieces with a bit of build up on the back side as pass 2 then a nice crack fill on the front side with this 3M SEALER if it's needed as pass 3.

Some of that other 3M epoxy product requires a substantial investment. Looks terrific though.

23. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Gorilla glue clear version

dm_n_stuff likes this.
  24. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nothing mentioned about being UV resistant.

25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob