I need tool for drilling oil drain hole behind cam seal... Anybody? | FerrariChat

I need tool for drilling oil drain hole behind cam seal... Anybody?

Discussion in '348/355' started by FSM348, Oct 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Hey all. I'm just about to reinstall the cams on my 348 but would like to prevent the usual cam seal oil leaks and drill the new hole behind the cam cover. The tool ( https://www.ricambiamerica.com/95845027-tool-for-head-drilling.htm ) can be loaned from Ricambe if you buy a major service kit but I unfortunately already sourced the kit months ago prior to realizing that Ricambe had a kit already pieced together. If anybody has one to lend out I would gladly pay a deposit and fee to loan it. I need it for one day and can ship it back immediately. Thanks!

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    If I had one I'd lend it to you.

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Sorry got nothin

4. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Maybe a Ferrari dealer will lend me one? :rolleyes: Haha

Seriously though, I dont think you can even buy these anymore. It's looking like I may have to deal with the Official Ferrari Rust Prevention opton which at least was a free option from the factory. AKA, misplaced cam carrier drian holes. :mad:

I'll keep holding out for a little bit longer just in case. I considered buying the Major kit from Ricambe to gain access to their tool but then in 5 years for my next major the belt, gaskets and seals will be 5+ years old...

5. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
  6. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    GOOD NEWS! I just got a response from Motion Products Inc in Wisconsin (T. Rutlands) and they had a brand new tool in stock and will loan it out! They have a whole list of tools that they loan out to enthusiasts and shops alike. I had not heard of Motion Products Inc but was aware of T. Rutlands since I purchased both brand new rear rotors and pads for $300 which was a bargain to be sure.

For anybody else who needs one here is their full list of tools they loan out:

http://www.mpi-ferrari.com/Tool_Rental_List.pdf

ernie likes this.
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    what are the charges and deposits for the tool?

8. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    $50 for the month plus shipping. After 30 days the full cost of the tool is charged to the account if not returned which is completely understandable. All in all very fair terms.

Wade and ernie like this.
  9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That is great!

Thanks for sharing!

10. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    ernie likes this.
  11. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Jeff, thanks for the links! Yes I saw the thread on how Brian used the tool so I'm good to go. Also, I did check the cam seal housings and mine have the large groove already in them. Interesting enough, when the shop out in Cali did the major back in April 2016 they had the grooves in the 12 o'clock position thus completely preventing the grooves from doing their job. The housings have small marks indicating where the grooves are so I'm not sure how this mistake was made but I will surely not make the same mistake on install.

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Good links!

I'm about to embark on this hole drilling. Did you ever update as to how yours turned out? @FSM348

sjd

13. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    I had no issues using the tool. I highly recommend clamping the tool to the head as a precaution and use grease on your drill bit and behind the holes to help extract the metal shavings.

steved033 likes this.
  14. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Pretty much exactly how it was going down.