I want to drain my fuel tank | FerrariChat

I want to drain my fuel tank

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by stevepaa, Dec 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    I disconnected the fuel delivery hoses to fuel rails. I then pushed on clear tubing that fits snug onto delivery hoses. Put key in turn to pos 2 and nothing. When does fuel pump go on? Shouldn't I hear it?
    thanks.

2. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    2002 575
    anyone know where the fuses for fuel pumps are?

3. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    and this may have something to do with my issue.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/456-wont-start-need-help-troubleshooting.446021/

The reason why you won't see voltage after the relays is because most EFI cars will only run the pump(s) for 1-2 seconds when the key is first turned on, to pressurise the system and purge air, then they won't turn the pumps back on until the RPM sensor is satisfied that the car is cranking (or sometimes not until the engine has actually fired).

I know that for the 550, the Motronic logic is to "fire" the pumps for 1-2 seconds on initial key on, however if you don't proceed with starting the car, and instead turn the key off, the next time you turn the key on, the pumps will not fire for the 1-2 seconds. Ferrari/Motronic figures the system should already be pressurised from the last "false" start.

4. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    The WSM says
    • Loosen the two unions (I) on the fuel lines and shift them out of the engine compartment.
    • Position the unions in such a manner that the fuel is collected in two containers of suitable size that can then
    be closed and moved.
    • Run the pumps until the fuel comes out.
    • After emptying the tank, reconnect the fuel lines and secure them with the respective clamps.

Anyone know what the WSM means by "run the fuel pumps".

My next step will be to switch off battery and run power directly to fuel pumps from trunk area using battery power from outside battery.,

5. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
  6. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    just run on left pump and both feeds to rails have gas emptying into containers
    but most goes to left side

7. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    fuel pumps are almost silent, you will never hear them