If you want order a new Ferrari what can u buy today? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

If you want order a new Ferrari what can u buy today?

Discussion in '296' started by DavisJ, Feb 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    That user is from Australia. Order books closed in US. It is not a shortage issue it is they have enough orders to fill all of their allocations for the next 3+ years. 296 coupe is closed but spider is not.

2. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Very clear. Thanks

3. _CoA

_CoA Rookie

Mar 12, 2012
    I live in China. Here the Portofino order book closed in Feb and the SF 90 series order book, both stradale and spider, closed on May 5th. My theory is that different countries get allocated a certain number of vehicles. Because the market dynamics are different in different countries, so the order books behave differently as well.
    Fun fact: Porsche literally couldn't sell 918 in China when it was launched even though everywhere else it was fetching above msrp. China got over 100 918 allocations and in the end they only sold like 10 (with massive discounts off msrp, talking about millions in rmb). There were literally brand new 918s sitting at dealerships 3 years after launch. This kinda illustrates my theory: everywhere else 918 order was closed but in China there were so many allocations you could still walk in and order.

LuxRes, dcmetro, 355TDI and 1 other person like this.
  4. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    interesting, could you get them delivered to another country? would be interesting to try and flip them!

5. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
    No, you can't. the contract you signed when purchasing prohibits exporting.

6. Vintageignition

Vintageignition Karting

Dec 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Mancini
    Update? Hearing US order books now officially closed. Fact or fiction?

7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I still believe there is a difference between production-limited and not limited models. When production is (number) limited, the order book is closed when the number is reached - and allocations might be difficult to move from one country to another since the numbers are established initially. For not limited models, "closing" of order books is more about allocations management - so they could be reopen with new allocations if/when production capacities allow it; it also allow to limit the backlog and to increase confidence in the pending orders (for Ferrari an order with 18 months wait is pretty secure, but with 3 or more years they would not be able to be sure) . So it's their interest to close the tap when delays become to high in some places.

8. ucla95

ucla95 Rookie

Jun 13, 2006
    US dealer told me today there aren’t any order books open at the moment.

BigJay2050 and ryalex like this.
  9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Spoke to a UK dealer today. They are currently taking orders for Roma, 296 GTB and 296 GTS. Wait time from order to delivery is presently about 12 months. He also confirmed that they are not requiring anyone wanting a 296 GTS to have ordered a 296 GTB first, unlike some other dealers. A number of their 296 GTB orders are with new customers who have not previously owned Ferraris. He is not expecting the order books to be closing any time soon (although I don't know how much notice Ferrari give their dealers).

Although we briefly discussed the Ugly Truck Thing, I did not ask about orders for it.

pk328 and LVP488 like this.
  10. Jamflem

Jamflem Rookie

Jan 29, 2022
    Full Name:
    James Fleming
    Interested in which dealer this is? Mine is requiring me to buy the GTB before I get my GTS….

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    If you've bought several Ferrari's in the past refuse to play the game and insist on getting the GTS

12. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Lancasters. I think the chap I spoke to was likely from Sevenoaks rather than Colchester but not sure.

13. B-side

B-side Rookie

Jun 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    I was told GTS orders are closed by the Greensboro dealership. Is this true?

14. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Pretty sure the GTS books are closed in the US, yes.

Right now, there is nothing to order.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. B-side

B-side Rookie

Jun 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the intel. Really curious to see what that means going forward; tough to imagine a publicly traded Ferrari without an open order book for their core mid-market mid-engine vehicle (458/488/F8/296 equivalent).

16. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    In the USA, Ferrari took orders for 13 months (296GTB) while producing NOTHING for the USA...once they start production and customer deliveries the 296GTB and 296GTS order books will re-open. When will that be? maybe a year, maybe two, really depends if they can scale up production to meet current demand (i.e. orders placed)

This is all because of hybrid, Ferrari has not figured out how to get production going after reveal (SF90 took 18 months between reveal customer deliveries).

Look at the 812C, reveal to first customer delivery was about 9 months, even SP3 deliveries are underway, also about 9 months (actually less). Same with earlier models, reveal to first customer delivery was never so long until hybrid. I expect this will continue with each new hybrid, and full electric, maybe it will be 2+ years from reveal to delivery...(prediction...)

ryalex likes this.
  17. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Responding to earlier question but I went directly for w GTS and did not have to buy the GTb. I have pretty good history over the past 10 years so maybe that helps. That’s really interesting if they are asking customers that have bought several to go down the path.

18. DavisJ

DavisJ Karting

Dec 31, 2019
    revisiting this question i raised last year. Seems just as tough to buy something new.

Roma Spider? i think that might be it? everything else is either 2-3 years out or not available (296 GTS).

They need some new products.

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Officially only the Roma Spider, although Purosangue is up in the air - the book is supposedly closed for the time being but expected to have another round in the future.

But yeah F8, Porto M, SF90/Spider, 812GTS and Comp are just finishing their runs, 296GTB and GTS both claimed to be sold out for the entire run (I am skeptical... I suspect they will open up some more for late 2025 and 2026).

20. KEMA

KEMA Karting

Mar 8, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    GTB order book closed in EU as far as I know. Surprised to read above you can order a new GTB in the UK.

21. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    My UK Dealer will not accept deposits for 296 GTB or GTS orders, but knows some of those that have deposited will drop out and thus new slots will become available

ryalex likes this.
  22. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Proof by 4 that a Ferrari is no more than a show off today...
    Waiting 3 years to get a hybrid V6....it sadly and ironically makes me smile...

MANDALAY likes this.
  23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Shows that despite your constant doom saying, clients love the current line up.

Alvega and WM458 like this.
  24. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    Try to get it earlier.
    It’s just as easy as this.

25. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I waited 21-months for my 286, and it’s a ridiculously good car. Much better than my F8. Well worth the wait to me.

ryalex likes this.